GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A great game is like a tasty sandwich"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 17:25
Regular
I know none of you probably have never compared the two before, but I see a lot in common between the two of them. For a great tasting sandwich you need all the right fillings. If you have all these things you have the perfect sandwich. This is true with a game and like a sandwich all the right parts are needed to make it perfect. Hmmmmm delicious. Now I'm about to explain a few points here to do with this, and you see if this is what a great game needs. By the way, the fillings can be different but it does not matter anyway. And if you hate these fillings then I'm sorry.

You start with the bottom piece of bread. This is the base and needs to have a strong foundation as you will build on it later with delicious fillings. This applies with a game too. You need a good storyline or some sort of goal/s you are aiming for if you want the game to be great. A game like Metal Gear Solid 2 or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time has a good story line and they were both popular, great games. But don't think all games need a story line. Games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer don't have a story line but do have goals. Winning the european cup in most football games and accomplishing things to gain respect and gain stats in Tony Hawk and Dave Mirra. Games like this need no story line as you know the hole point and well it kind of explains itself. So as you can see this base bread is need in every game and is one of the most important things in a game.

Next is the butter. This is optional for some people as many may not like butter in their sandwich. Like I've said before though, for the perfect game you need everything. So most games must try to include multiplayer. Butter is the multiplayer. It needs to be included (unless there is no possible way at all like in some cases Super Mario 64.) for that extra bit iof enjoyment. If you have it in a game then the fun will last a lot longer. You can really tell the difference between playing the computer constantly (or by yourself for that matter) and playing your friends. It is funny and is needed in a game. Agree? Hope so.

Now these are the three biggies and are the main things next up.They are the main mouth watering pieces. They are the most noticeable things about a sandwich and a game and are vital. (just like everything else)So firstly is the ham. This is one of the main fillings in a sandwich and is the gameplay and lastibility. A game needs to be long and worth while. Not some rubbish where you know what happens and is a total bore to play. Games like Super Smash Brothers and Metal Gear Solid 2 are good examples of great gameplay and lastibility. Ifyou find a game boring or dull then you know it's not the game for you.

After that we have the cheese, yet another of the important things in a game. The cheese is the graphics in a game and is needed to attract players. A game must be good looking and suited to what type of game it is. For example if your playing one of the Resident Evil games, then you want it to be dark and have good lighting effects off the few lamps. This is because it is a dark, scary game and needs less light as there is not much in an abandoned mansion. You wouldn't want it to be as light as anything and have terrible graphics or it would spoil it. The opposite of this would be a Mario game, where everything is usually light and colourful. So as you can see graphics or cheese are essential.

The final filling in our sandwich is the crunch lettuce. Now although lettuce isn't the filling you would choose really at all, lettuce is actually crunchy and is the sounds in the game. In a game you want realistic, good clear right on time sounds. If your skating you want realistic sound effects when you fall down. Or when your playing James Bond Agent Under Fire you need to have the realistic gun and explosion sounds or it just doesn't feel right. As you can see the game needs sounds or there is no spookyness for Resident Evil, or the fun filled cheerful adventure for Super Mario 64.

Finally the last thing needed in the sandwich is the last piece of bread to top it all off. This bread controls the whole sandwich and keeps it all in place. Without the bread there is just the fillings. So this is the controls of the game and is needed or else the player will get bored and irritated. This causes temper tantrums and also can possibly cause broken controls. If you playing Grand Turismo 3 for example, you want to know you're in control of the car and hat it is not controling you. It is as important as everything else because without good controls the game is naff and is worthless. You will get nowhere.

So after all this I hope you can agree with me that a good game is just like a great tasting sandwich. If a game does not have these things then consider something else. Do you think there is something that compares these two because I do and it may help to see if any game is good for a player including you. Also I hope you can notice that all the above are just as important as one another and are needed to create the best game ever.

Thanks for reading
Wed 10/04/02 at 17:25
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I know none of you probably have never compared the two before, but I see a lot in common between the two of them. For a great tasting sandwich you need all the right fillings. If you have all these things you have the perfect sandwich. This is true with a game and like a sandwich all the right parts are needed to make it perfect. Hmmmmm delicious. Now I'm about to explain a few points here to do with this, and you see if this is what a great game needs. By the way, the fillings can be different but it does not matter anyway. And if you hate these fillings then I'm sorry.

You start with the bottom piece of bread. This is the base and needs to have a strong foundation as you will build on it later with delicious fillings. This applies with a game too. You need a good storyline or some sort of goal/s you are aiming for if you want the game to be great. A game like Metal Gear Solid 2 or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time has a good story line and they were both popular, great games. But don't think all games need a story line. Games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer don't have a story line but do have goals. Winning the european cup in most football games and accomplishing things to gain respect and gain stats in Tony Hawk and Dave Mirra. Games like this need no story line as you know the hole point and well it kind of explains itself. So as you can see this base bread is need in every game and is one of the most important things in a game.

Next is the butter. This is optional for some people as many may not like butter in their sandwich. Like I've said before though, for the perfect game you need everything. So most games must try to include multiplayer. Butter is the multiplayer. It needs to be included (unless there is no possible way at all like in some cases Super Mario 64.) for that extra bit iof enjoyment. If you have it in a game then the fun will last a lot longer. You can really tell the difference between playing the computer constantly (or by yourself for that matter) and playing your friends. It is funny and is needed in a game. Agree? Hope so.

Now these are the three biggies and are the main things next up.They are the main mouth watering pieces. They are the most noticeable things about a sandwich and a game and are vital. (just like everything else)So firstly is the ham. This is one of the main fillings in a sandwich and is the gameplay and lastibility. A game needs to be long and worth while. Not some rubbish where you know what happens and is a total bore to play. Games like Super Smash Brothers and Metal Gear Solid 2 are good examples of great gameplay and lastibility. Ifyou find a game boring or dull then you know it's not the game for you.

After that we have the cheese, yet another of the important things in a game. The cheese is the graphics in a game and is needed to attract players. A game must be good looking and suited to what type of game it is. For example if your playing one of the Resident Evil games, then you want it to be dark and have good lighting effects off the few lamps. This is because it is a dark, scary game and needs less light as there is not much in an abandoned mansion. You wouldn't want it to be as light as anything and have terrible graphics or it would spoil it. The opposite of this would be a Mario game, where everything is usually light and colourful. So as you can see graphics or cheese are essential.

The final filling in our sandwich is the crunch lettuce. Now although lettuce isn't the filling you would choose really at all, lettuce is actually crunchy and is the sounds in the game. In a game you want realistic, good clear right on time sounds. If your skating you want realistic sound effects when you fall down. Or when your playing James Bond Agent Under Fire you need to have the realistic gun and explosion sounds or it just doesn't feel right. As you can see the game needs sounds or there is no spookyness for Resident Evil, or the fun filled cheerful adventure for Super Mario 64.

Finally the last thing needed in the sandwich is the last piece of bread to top it all off. This bread controls the whole sandwich and keeps it all in place. Without the bread there is just the fillings. So this is the controls of the game and is needed or else the player will get bored and irritated. This causes temper tantrums and also can possibly cause broken controls. If you playing Grand Turismo 3 for example, you want to know you're in control of the car and hat it is not controling you. It is as important as everything else because without good controls the game is naff and is worthless. You will get nowhere.

So after all this I hope you can agree with me that a good game is just like a great tasting sandwich. If a game does not have these things then consider something else. Do you think there is something that compares these two because I do and it may help to see if any game is good for a player including you. Also I hope you can notice that all the above are just as important as one another and are needed to create the best game ever.

Thanks for reading
Wed 10/04/02 at 17:40
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Great post Ghost killer. I never thought I would see the day when a sandwich was compared to a game, and you did it with style.
Wed 10/04/02 at 20:43
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Thanks for the nice comment. It took me a while to think of something original and fun. Tasty Sandwich/Game was just a wacky idea I came up with. But it is true. I think there is a resemblence.
Wed 10/04/02 at 20:45
Regular
Sounds like someones been reading a classic MJ post ;)
Wed 10/04/02 at 20:58
Regular
"um..."
Hmm My favourite sandwich is ham and coleslaw, it tastes great but is a bit messy.

You could also compare games to a roast dinner.

The pork being the base or the story line

The stuffing being the multi player.

The most important part, roast potatoes being The playability.

Peas being graphics, nice colourful and tasty.

And Gravy to bring it together.

A rubbish game could be the piece of broccoli you leave on the side.
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:18
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Only have few minutes left till dinner. Read post and thought it was good and original. Great post bro!
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:26
In my opinion, I thought your link between sandwiches and games was rather tenuous, and you could have made the similarities a lot more obvious. For example, neither last long in the hands of a pro. Good games are like good sandwiches, hard to find new and original versions, but nothing wrong with a firm favourite. Both sandwiches and video games are put down by those supposedly in the know. Neither a sandwich nor a video game can compare to the beauty of one's own hand. Neither a videogame nor a sandwich will hug you when you're down, but they will lift your spirits. Both videogames and sandwiches can get in the way of dinner. There's too much cr@p in both fields out there. Most people don't have a clue what makes a good videogame or sandwich. Doctors don't recommend you have too much of either. Both, when done well, are absolutely engrossing. Just a few suggestions.
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:46
Regular
Hey Shaneo/Ghost Killer. Left for good, eh?
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:45
Regular
Good post Ghost killer, and yet another orignal idea for a post. Oh yeah, well done on the GAD aswell, very well deserved :D
Sat 13/04/02 at 11:19
Regular
Someone wins a game for what is essentially one of my old posts, bah, thats all I am saying, bah :/

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.