GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitar Hero 3: Rock Legends [PS3]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Guitar Hero III: Legends of rock'.
Thu 13/12/07 at 11:52
"possibly impossible"
Firstly a confession; I didn’t think I’d ever buy a Guitar Hero game. It just looked like a 5 minute wonder that was far too expensive to buy. There was no way I was going to shell out £65-£75 for a plastic Guitar and a game. Well, finding one at £40 the other day, I couldn’t resist finding out what all the fuss was about (and at that price I could always get my money back if it all went wrong!).

It turns out that this was definitely a good idea after all. After playing just an hour of Guitar Hero 3, I can safely say three things; 1) It’s highly addictive, 2) It makes you feel like a rock god in your own home and 3) it really, really makes your fingers ache for a long time.

The game itself is pretty basic in concept. Just like most other rhythm action games, you see icons of different colours coming towards you and press the relevant button at the right time, strumming at the same time. Longer bars require you to hold down the button and there’s a whammy bar for effects. Where it differs is in the actual controller, which makes it feel all that much more authentic, and a tilt sensor that lets you pull off special moves. Play well and you’ll be rewarded, play badly and you’ll hear some awful guitar fowl ups that will make you howl in pain. It’s beautifully simple yet fiendishly hard at the same time.

One of the reasons that previous Guitar Hero games have neve appealed to me is that the track listing was always made up of covers, rather than the songs being performed by the original artists. GH3 addresses this by including as many original artists as it can. The list is impressive, from Guns and Roses and Aerosmith to The Sex Pistols, it really does make it sound so much better with the original singers.

The next improvement is the wireless Guitar. I couldn’t imagine swinging the axe around the room while incapacitated by a long wire stretching out to the console. It just wouldn’t be right. The wireless controller is excellent. It’s a copy of a Gibson (in black for the PS3 version) and comes with stickers to personalise it. But you can further enhance the look by buying separate faceplates for the guitar in all different patterns including a Union Jack one. Nice.

Should you have a friend with the game, you can join a rock off and compete against each other to see who should hold the crown of Rock God, however, there is also the option to go head to head against other players online as well, something that blows the competition for Guitar Legend open to the world. There’s even a running leaderboard on the Guitar Hero 3 website to check out the top players.

The game oozes personality, the guitar is probably the best peripheral since the Wii remote and together they make an excellent game. That said, if you’re not in to rock, never heard of Iron Maiden, Queens of the Sone Age or Led Zepplin, then it might not be your bag. But to anyone who’s ever practiced the art of air guitar in private or in public, this game will be a riot.
Fri 14/12/07 at 13:26
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
You cheeky devil! Well played :D
Fri 14/12/07 at 12:14
"possibly impossible"
Someone came into GAME wanting to trade it, GAME offered them £37 trade, so I offered them £40 cash. I won. :D

Luckily I hadn't traded my games in, so I took them to Blockbuster and got money for them instead.
Thu 13/12/07 at 22:15
Regular
Where did you purchase it for 40 pounds from?
Thu 13/12/07 at 11:52
"possibly impossible"
Firstly a confession; I didn’t think I’d ever buy a Guitar Hero game. It just looked like a 5 minute wonder that was far too expensive to buy. There was no way I was going to shell out £65-£75 for a plastic Guitar and a game. Well, finding one at £40 the other day, I couldn’t resist finding out what all the fuss was about (and at that price I could always get my money back if it all went wrong!).

It turns out that this was definitely a good idea after all. After playing just an hour of Guitar Hero 3, I can safely say three things; 1) It’s highly addictive, 2) It makes you feel like a rock god in your own home and 3) it really, really makes your fingers ache for a long time.

The game itself is pretty basic in concept. Just like most other rhythm action games, you see icons of different colours coming towards you and press the relevant button at the right time, strumming at the same time. Longer bars require you to hold down the button and there’s a whammy bar for effects. Where it differs is in the actual controller, which makes it feel all that much more authentic, and a tilt sensor that lets you pull off special moves. Play well and you’ll be rewarded, play badly and you’ll hear some awful guitar fowl ups that will make you howl in pain. It’s beautifully simple yet fiendishly hard at the same time.

One of the reasons that previous Guitar Hero games have neve appealed to me is that the track listing was always made up of covers, rather than the songs being performed by the original artists. GH3 addresses this by including as many original artists as it can. The list is impressive, from Guns and Roses and Aerosmith to The Sex Pistols, it really does make it sound so much better with the original singers.

The next improvement is the wireless Guitar. I couldn’t imagine swinging the axe around the room while incapacitated by a long wire stretching out to the console. It just wouldn’t be right. The wireless controller is excellent. It’s a copy of a Gibson (in black for the PS3 version) and comes with stickers to personalise it. But you can further enhance the look by buying separate faceplates for the guitar in all different patterns including a Union Jack one. Nice.

Should you have a friend with the game, you can join a rock off and compete against each other to see who should hold the crown of Rock God, however, there is also the option to go head to head against other players online as well, something that blows the competition for Guitar Legend open to the world. There’s even a running leaderboard on the Guitar Hero 3 website to check out the top players.

The game oozes personality, the guitar is probably the best peripheral since the Wii remote and together they make an excellent game. That said, if you’re not in to rock, never heard of Iron Maiden, Queens of the Sone Age or Led Zepplin, then it might not be your bag. But to anyone who’s ever practiced the art of air guitar in private or in public, this game will be a riot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.