GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Google 'keyword data' no longer available in website statistics"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/03/15 at 12:20
"Are you sure?"
I've recently installed Google Analytics on a new website.

This is oldish news, but I've only just realised that some 'keyword data' is no longer available.

By keyword data I mean the actual search terms/queries visitors used in Google to find your website.

It seems this is all due to Google moving to HTTPS and encrypting searches. I blame the NSA!

Where previously you would have seen all the search words people were using, you now see not provided in GA.

It's not only Google Analytics that's affected, other website statistics applications will also be unable to display encrypted search terms.

There are still lots of useful insights to be had viewing website statistics but it's a shame this data is no longer available.

Google's Webmaster Tools
It's easy to get swamped with the amount of data in GA.

For a different view it's useful to use Google's Webmaster Tools - though this data only goes back 3 months so you would have to regularly download reports if you wanted a long term picture.

It looks like it also gives you more information on search queries as well. I don't see the 'not provided' heading but whether it's the full picture or not I'm not sure.

Here's a Google video on Webmaster Tools: Using Search Queries to improve your site.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 17/03/15 at 12:20
"Are you sure?"
I've recently installed Google Analytics on a new website.

This is oldish news, but I've only just realised that some 'keyword data' is no longer available.

By keyword data I mean the actual search terms/queries visitors used in Google to find your website.

It seems this is all due to Google moving to HTTPS and encrypting searches. I blame the NSA!

Where previously you would have seen all the search words people were using, you now see not provided in GA.

It's not only Google Analytics that's affected, other website statistics applications will also be unable to display encrypted search terms.

There are still lots of useful insights to be had viewing website statistics but it's a shame this data is no longer available.

Google's Webmaster Tools
It's easy to get swamped with the amount of data in GA.

For a different view it's useful to use Google's Webmaster Tools - though this data only goes back 3 months so you would have to regularly download reports if you wanted a long term picture.

It looks like it also gives you more information on search queries as well. I don't see the 'not provided' heading but whether it's the full picture or not I'm not sure.

Here's a Google video on Webmaster Tools: Using Search Queries to improve your site.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.