GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of Artificial Intelligence/ Freedom?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 11:39
Regular
When are we going to reach the point where computers are able work things out and function by themselves? That is when are they going to consider US a burden?

If you look at the advances computers have taken in recent years it is scary. There is (obviously) a massive difference between the Spectrum Z8K and the X-Box, not just in graphics but how the computer "plays" so to speak, but the two were only produced 20 years apart. How much further will we advance in another 20 years?

I would think it won't be long until R2D2 becomes an actual necessity around the home to do hoovering/ ironing etc, with C3PO-like robots guarding our country.

Then what? In another 50 years we could well see robots with better intelligence than us, pin point accuracy, perfect memories and maybe the most scary detail - no emotions.

With their high level of intelligence it would not take the robots long to realise that us Humans are destroying the world, and with no emotion, they would probably be quick to rid the Earth of one of it's worst viruses.

This is how far A.I. could go my friends, you have been warned!

And my second point, how long will it be until we become like the book 1984 and are constantly overlooked by Big Brother?

At the moment there are security camera's almost everywhere, at least in 80% of towns/ cities etc. watching our actions and we cannot be sure our phone lines our not being listened into (along the "Enemy of the State" key words theory).

Let's not be naive when it comes to this, lest we turn into the naive animals in Animal Farm and watch the pigs turn into farmers.

"Freedom is just an illusion"
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:48
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mundello wrote:
With their
> high level of intelligence it would not take the robots long to realise that us
> Humans are destroying the world, and with no emotion, they would probably be
> quick to rid the Earth of one of it's worst viruses.

naa... probably not :)
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:45
I see someone in Prime topics wrote exactly the same thing and go no replys! Must be a repect thing, although your points are put down preety well! I think it might be preety scary if that happens, the only AI i want to see are on games. And the only Robots i want to see are remote control!
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:03
You are saying current computers only have brain power of their creators? No, no and no. Think about what some of the current systems do, some current computers are able to learn. This is where the trouble could come in.

Also, there will be mobile phones in our wrist watches in the immediate future.
Wed 10/04/02 at 16:20
"Mimmargh!"
Youv'e been watching too much Terminator 2: Judgement Day, haven't you!?
Wed 10/04/02 at 15:08
But won't AI instruments only have the capacity of the programmer's brain limitations? Is it feasible for this to happen?

I take your point about surveillance and the secret state, but that is a tangentially-related argument.

Back in the 1980s, wasn't everyone talking about having videophone watches that everyone would use, and hovercars to take you places? You know my dad still says one day we'll have mobile phones on watches...
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:16
And you were the one going on about how the posts are filled with crap?!?
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:47
"slightlyshortertagl"
My dad was telling me about a short sci-fi story which he read about 30-35 years ago when he was my age and it was about how the writer looked into the future and his predictions of the future. The writer predicted that eventually the human body would slowly die off bit by bit and eventually the only muscles working properly are the fingers. The story then finishes with the simple line in big and bold letters:

'And The Machine Stops.'
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:39
When are we going to reach the point where computers are able work things out and function by themselves? That is when are they going to consider US a burden?

If you look at the advances computers have taken in recent years it is scary. There is (obviously) a massive difference between the Spectrum Z8K and the X-Box, not just in graphics but how the computer "plays" so to speak, but the two were only produced 20 years apart. How much further will we advance in another 20 years?

I would think it won't be long until R2D2 becomes an actual necessity around the home to do hoovering/ ironing etc, with C3PO-like robots guarding our country.

Then what? In another 50 years we could well see robots with better intelligence than us, pin point accuracy, perfect memories and maybe the most scary detail - no emotions.

With their high level of intelligence it would not take the robots long to realise that us Humans are destroying the world, and with no emotion, they would probably be quick to rid the Earth of one of it's worst viruses.

This is how far A.I. could go my friends, you have been warned!

And my second point, how long will it be until we become like the book 1984 and are constantly overlooked by Big Brother?

At the moment there are security camera's almost everywhere, at least in 80% of towns/ cities etc. watching our actions and we cannot be sure our phone lines our not being listened into (along the "Enemy of the State" key words theory).

Let's not be naive when it comes to this, lest we turn into the naive animals in Animal Farm and watch the pigs turn into farmers.

"Freedom is just an illusion"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.