GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Samsung SMART TV - widespread internet outage"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/02/15 at 14:24
"Are you sure?"
Life's getting too complicated for me!

Yesterday I bit the bullet and upgraded my Freeola Broadband package to give me more bandwidth allowance. I blame my kids!

Watching video/TV/films online can really get through some data.
Anyway, I broke the good news to the kids but told them they still can't go mad (before 7pm when things aren't metered) or I'll get a bill for overuse.

How's this for timing...
Daughter turns on our Samsung Smart TV (UE46ES6710) and tries to watch YouTube (addicted to YouTubers!) - but it fails saying it's not connected to the internet. She obviously wonders if I've blocked it as I've been moaning about internet usage the last few days!

I take a look and the wireless internet setup fails to complete successfully - it logs into the router all normally but doesn't get an internet connection.

We have 2 other Samsung SMART TVs that are all still fine. No changes had been manually made to the TV or home network.

The TV gets a local IP address etc. all normally, but fails to connect. i.e. The graphic shows it's connected to the router but not the internet with the following status messages:

Network setup complete but cannot connect to the internet and
connected to the wireless network, but not the internet

I tried, manual and auto setups, alternate DNS settings, WPS setup, changed the router and performed a TV RESET but with no success.

I downloaded the latest firmware onto a USB stick but this fails to update as the TV was already up to date (firmware version 2004.1).

More poking about on the internet...
The problem with this is there are so many TV internet wifi type issues documented it's not easy to find real ones. Then I noticed a few posts on forums that had been made today talking about wifi issues. I turned to Twitter and sure enough a quick search on Samsung TV internet showed there was a widespread problem!

I've spent far too long on this - it was confusing to troubleshoot as we still have some TVs working online. The outage appears to be for ‘D’ and ‘E’ Samsung Smart TVs models.

This website has captured things well - Smart Hub Down

The Samsung error ends by advising you to contact your ISP!
Looking around Twitter I can see others have also wasted a lot of time on this. I wonder if Freeola took any calls?

There is also a report of similar outage for Sony connected TVs.

I can't see this Internet of things working out...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 26/02/15 at 19:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Far too much technology chaps ... we still fry our chips the 'old-fashioned' way ;¬)
Thu 26/02/15 at 17:49
"possibly impossible"
I haven't tried our Sony, but if it's off then I guess we'll use the Sky box or Apple TV or Chromecast or PS3 or Wii U for streaming to the TV!

The 3 year old Sony we have slowed down when they updated to the new iPlayer so we don't tend to use iPlayer on it that much but Amazon TV and YouTube work fine on it. However, it did take them an age to update iPlayer in the first place, seems 'older' hardware is not so important.
Thu 26/02/15 at 10:55
"Are you sure?"
Just to update this...

Launching Smarthub on the Samsung this morning allowed an automatic update to start - this update seems to have fixed things!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/02/15 at 15:45
"Are you sure?"
chasfh wrote:
3D print a cow, job's a good'un!

Good idea :¬)
If Netflix is down we might have to go to the moo-vies...

It looks like Samsung's problems are affecting people world-wide. They might not have thought their setup through very well!

Daughter has just come in and had to fallback to using a Chromecast to get the TV online!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/02/15 at 15:24
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Hmmm... wrote:
We love our internet connected TVs :¬)

There are loads of people on Twitter (along with me!) that have spent(wasted) a lot of time on this before realising it's not a fixable problem. It started yesterday evening - when network connections don't behave it can be very frustrating!

I feel better knowing it's not [i]my end
- and I'll remember to check Twitter next time anything similar happens.

No wonder we're out of milk the fridge has been offline for days :¬P
[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

3D print a cow, job's a good'un!
Wed 25/02/15 at 15:11
"Are you sure?"
We love our internet connected TVs :¬)

There are loads of people on Twitter (along with me!) that have spent(wasted) a lot of time on this before realising it's not a fixable problem. It started yesterday evening - when network connections don't behave it can be very frustrating!

I feel better knowing it's not my end - and I'll remember to check Twitter next time anything similar happens.

No wonder we're out of milk the fridge has been offline for days :¬P
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/02/15 at 15:01
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Can't say I'm bothered about Smart TV's. I thought about it, and then decided that we wouldn't have one until it was absolutely necessary.

I've already got enough "smart" stuff in the house, without having a TV with a higher IQ than it's audience!

I don't think we've fielded any calls in relation to this problem (at least I'm not aware of any).
Wed 25/02/15 at 14:24
"Are you sure?"
Life's getting too complicated for me!

Yesterday I bit the bullet and upgraded my Freeola Broadband package to give me more bandwidth allowance. I blame my kids!

Watching video/TV/films online can really get through some data.
Anyway, I broke the good news to the kids but told them they still can't go mad (before 7pm when things aren't metered) or I'll get a bill for overuse.

How's this for timing...
Daughter turns on our Samsung Smart TV (UE46ES6710) and tries to watch YouTube (addicted to YouTubers!) - but it fails saying it's not connected to the internet. She obviously wonders if I've blocked it as I've been moaning about internet usage the last few days!

I take a look and the wireless internet setup fails to complete successfully - it logs into the router all normally but doesn't get an internet connection.

We have 2 other Samsung SMART TVs that are all still fine. No changes had been manually made to the TV or home network.

The TV gets a local IP address etc. all normally, but fails to connect. i.e. The graphic shows it's connected to the router but not the internet with the following status messages:

Network setup complete but cannot connect to the internet and
connected to the wireless network, but not the internet

I tried, manual and auto setups, alternate DNS settings, WPS setup, changed the router and performed a TV RESET but with no success.

I downloaded the latest firmware onto a USB stick but this fails to update as the TV was already up to date (firmware version 2004.1).

More poking about on the internet...
The problem with this is there are so many TV internet wifi type issues documented it's not easy to find real ones. Then I noticed a few posts on forums that had been made today talking about wifi issues. I turned to Twitter and sure enough a quick search on Samsung TV internet showed there was a widespread problem!

I've spent far too long on this - it was confusing to troubleshoot as we still have some TVs working online. The outage appears to be for ‘D’ and ‘E’ Samsung Smart TVs models.

This website has captured things well - Smart Hub Down

The Samsung error ends by advising you to contact your ISP!
Looking around Twitter I can see others have also wasted a lot of time on this. I wonder if Freeola took any calls?

There is also a report of similar outage for Sony connected TVs.

I can't see this Internet of things working out...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.