GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wolfenstein Vs Medal of Honour"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 03:04
Regular
Two similar themed games (WW2, Nazis etc) but totally different games.

I got Wolfenstein first and loved it. Awesome graphics, the flamethrower was amazing and the levels were ingeniously designed.
And the multiplayer is the best online game there is.
It encourages team-play, different classes that actually have functions you need to win. Lt gives ammo, Engineer can blow up targets, medics medic you etc.
A great game.

And then Medal of Honour.
And it blows Wolfenstein out of the water.
Without question.
But you can't really appreciate it until you play.
It's not saying Wolfenstein is a bad game at all, but faced with MOH:AA, it can't compare.
It's the little things that make Medal more interesting for me.

Little things like grenades.
Wolfenstein, you throw it and it explodes with a massive bang and throws people 15ft in the air.
Medal? A nondescript explosion, no flames. It just feels more realistic to me. The physics are better, and the delay in throwing and it going off just make it more fun to use.

Wolfenstein involves a lot of "throw this switch to open this door/solve this puzzle to open that trapdoor".
It's a standard FPS with excellent graphics.
Medal of Honour is the opposite.
There's no real "pull this to activate that" scenarios.
You have to destroy a target/get to the end of the level without spending an age trying to find a missed switch.
It flows better, no frustrating minutes spent backtracking because you're not sure you went the right way.

Team-mate.
Wolfenstein is just you (for the most part), whereas Medal, you get mates. You try to keep them alive, move with them, assist them in clearing a level of snipers etc so they can move forward and complete the level.
It's more involving and more interaction with your squad, you feel like you're in the army as opposed to yet another gung-ho maniac that is unstoppable.

Enemies.
Wolfenstein has some awesome foes. But a lot of them aren't human. "Uber-Soldats", zombies etc, and sure they're fun to kill but it's not WW2 immersive like Medal is.
Medal gives you Nazis, no spooks or goblins to attack.

Bosses.
Wolfenstein has it's share of end-of-level bosses that require copious amounts of ammo and charging about.
Medal doesn't have any bosses. No indefeatable villains that cause you hair-pulling and screaming until you're red in the face and hoarse-voiced.
Again, this creates more of an atmosphere. It pulls you in and makes you feel like you are in WW2 instead of a computer game.

However, Multiplayer is where Wolfenstein lives and thrives.
Like I've said, best online game ever.
Medal of Honour is another standard CTF/Deathmatch game with nothing to distinguish it from Unreal/Half-Life etc.

So, if you like amusing, fast-paced shooters with little thought for staying alive because there are loads of health-packs and such, get Wolfenstein.
If you want an immersive, difficult at times, realistic WW2 game, then Medal of Honour deserves your money more.
Wed 10/04/02 at 03:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Two similar themed games (WW2, Nazis etc) but totally different games.

I got Wolfenstein first and loved it. Awesome graphics, the flamethrower was amazing and the levels were ingeniously designed.
And the multiplayer is the best online game there is.
It encourages team-play, different classes that actually have functions you need to win. Lt gives ammo, Engineer can blow up targets, medics medic you etc.
A great game.

And then Medal of Honour.
And it blows Wolfenstein out of the water.
Without question.
But you can't really appreciate it until you play.
It's not saying Wolfenstein is a bad game at all, but faced with MOH:AA, it can't compare.
It's the little things that make Medal more interesting for me.

Little things like grenades.
Wolfenstein, you throw it and it explodes with a massive bang and throws people 15ft in the air.
Medal? A nondescript explosion, no flames. It just feels more realistic to me. The physics are better, and the delay in throwing and it going off just make it more fun to use.

Wolfenstein involves a lot of "throw this switch to open this door/solve this puzzle to open that trapdoor".
It's a standard FPS with excellent graphics.
Medal of Honour is the opposite.
There's no real "pull this to activate that" scenarios.
You have to destroy a target/get to the end of the level without spending an age trying to find a missed switch.
It flows better, no frustrating minutes spent backtracking because you're not sure you went the right way.

Team-mate.
Wolfenstein is just you (for the most part), whereas Medal, you get mates. You try to keep them alive, move with them, assist them in clearing a level of snipers etc so they can move forward and complete the level.
It's more involving and more interaction with your squad, you feel like you're in the army as opposed to yet another gung-ho maniac that is unstoppable.

Enemies.
Wolfenstein has some awesome foes. But a lot of them aren't human. "Uber-Soldats", zombies etc, and sure they're fun to kill but it's not WW2 immersive like Medal is.
Medal gives you Nazis, no spooks or goblins to attack.

Bosses.
Wolfenstein has it's share of end-of-level bosses that require copious amounts of ammo and charging about.
Medal doesn't have any bosses. No indefeatable villains that cause you hair-pulling and screaming until you're red in the face and hoarse-voiced.
Again, this creates more of an atmosphere. It pulls you in and makes you feel like you are in WW2 instead of a computer game.

However, Multiplayer is where Wolfenstein lives and thrives.
Like I've said, best online game ever.
Medal of Honour is another standard CTF/Deathmatch game with nothing to distinguish it from Unreal/Half-Life etc.

So, if you like amusing, fast-paced shooters with little thought for staying alive because there are loads of health-packs and such, get Wolfenstein.
If you want an immersive, difficult at times, realistic WW2 game, then Medal of Honour deserves your money more.
Wed 10/04/02 at 10:50
Regular
I prefer MOH:AA a whole load more than Wolfenstein, simply as it is so realistic and you feel like you are in WW2. In Wolfenstein, it just feels like another FPS with just a different storyline.
Sat 13/04/02 at 21:57
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I really prefer MOH:AA for the reason of realism. Wolf. has you fighting some forms of zombies, and is, on the whole, a more gothic game. MOHAA sticks to the realistic environments, such as taking out artillery emplacements with a small group of 'friends' (or in my case bait). The graphics, arn't as impressive, maybe, but the gameplay is better. Ever since playing counter-strike, games which go for strange fantasy settings have had much less appeal to me over realistic games, which make you think and use tactics during firefights, rather than the old find the switch routine. I also thought the weapons in first person were better in MOH. Take the Thompson smg (or Tommy gun). In Wolf it looks like somthing that resebles some form of shotgun. (look at it closely if you don't believe me), yet in MOH i recognised it immediately, and felt much more at home with that infront of me, rather than some strange contraption looking like it belongs in a Q3 DM.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.