GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"www. on PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 22:30
Regular
A lot of questions have yet to be answered when mentioning this topic, but when will hear them?

Standard PC's come with a 56 kps modem or a 26.6 kps modem which as many of you know is almost impossible to enjoy a game of Half Life or your favourite shooter whilst enjoying the experience, the PS2 Hard Drive will come with an ADSL Cable modem and playing games over the net will be a pure joy and it will open up a whole new world of gaming, but what will have to be done to make our areas/homes suitable for this device. To rent an ADSL modem from NTL it would cost £50 per month + server bill and it worked out very expensive and inpratical. As many of you know not all roads are ADSL ready and therefore it can not be installed, how will the PS2 manage to get around this? Will the modem be built into the PS2? Your phone sockets will have to be changed to make way for the cable modem.

One of the possiblities which sounded interesting was the chance to download Demos of all the latest games onto your PS2's Hard drive without having the hassle of worrying what the discs are doing to your machine. The hard drive space will be limited but no-one wants to save a demo for ever as new ones will be able to erase over your old ones.

Will Sony introduce Applications that can be downloaded onto your PS2 and ran from there? Game cheats could be downloaded and accessed on your Hard drive without the hassle of getting all the codes wrong and wasting time. Will there be all the sites that are accessible to us now or will we be restricted?

Where ever there is contact with others there will always be trouble, will your PS2 Hard Drive conatin an anti virus program that will stop others wiping your memory card or playing around with programs on your PS2? Viruses can easily be stopped/sorted out on a PC but where will your PS2 go if it contracts a virus from the internet.

Will we be able to download games at a small cost and then run them from our hard drives? Or will Sony bring out a CD/DVD writer that will allow us to download PS2 compatable programs and then write them to disc so that they can be stored and used at a later date?

Piracy will continue to roam the games world casting its gloom but will the PS2's Hard Drive increase the rate of Piracy and will someone find away around the Hard Drive like they have done with Modification Chips?

Playing people over the net will become all the more frequent and we already have seen some internet ready games out on the PS2 long before the Hard Drive is released. As with most projects that are big there will be a host of problems to deal with before most people will purchase the Hard Drive, as with the PC internet Credit Card fraud was a huge problem which has gradually been reduced since the Net first was established but will the PS2 take the same amount of time in handling mis-fortunes like this?

Will Gaming Tournaments will be held over the PS2 net? Will there be monthly prizes for the best scores on games played and then submitted via an in-game option, this will open up a lot more competition in games and may take the fun out of playing them, all of these are conditions that have to be looked into before releasing the PS2 Hard Drive.

Will the Hard Drive increase the PS2's playing power from a 128mb to a 256mb, some games may require the hard drive to play and not everyone will be able to get one, will all this spoil the video-gaming industry instead of leaving it up to our PC's to handle this side of things?

Will it turn the PS2 into something bigger than it is now? Or will it be like the big fat ugly X-Box which is really just a very cheap computer rather than an expensive games console?

www. on PS2 I believe will extend the PS2's powers to a new level and quite frankly I CAN'T WAIT!
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:53
Interesting post MG2King, but isn't all this leading to the PS2 turning into a small PC !?!? I hope games consoles don't turn down this avenue and I doubt people will realy want them too.

Online gaming is fine, but surely no more!?! Pro Evolutino online would be enorm!!! :-)
Thu 11/04/02 at 12:25
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
The HDD plugs into the back of your PS2, turn it round and there's a black plastic slider there, pull this to the side and there you will see a big hole, just about big enough to put a HDD in, I think the modem fits/connects to the HDD.

Aside from that and adding to comments about NTL, be very wary, NTL are on the rocky road to bankrupcy so you may end up without ADSL (sorry cable) or a phone line.

ADSL from PIPEX under £25 per month, trust me I know, I've got it and it rocks!
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:02
My mom rang them a couple of months a go and they do an ADSL modem and it is £49.99 month rental because they wanted to install a digital box and fix the phone socketsin the upstair bedrooms, that aside playing on the PS2 will be totally mind-blowing!
Wed 10/04/02 at 09:26
Regular
"Tag as above"
Theres a few things that you haven't got quite right which would greatly affect how popular online gaming will be. The Network/modem will be seperate from the Harddrive, so people won't have the extra expense of the harddrive if they only want to play on line.

NTL don't do ADSL, the do cable modems. The cost of with depends on the speed option you go for, 128k or 512k. I have 512k and it costs 20 quid for the line and a fiver for the rental of the modem (or you can buy it).

I don't mean to pick at your good topic, which is on something I am very much looking forward too.
Wed 10/04/02 at 07:55
Regular
PS2 online, if done properly will really bring online gaming to the masses. Just imagine, Pro Evolution online with every player controlled by someone online. Or GTA3 where you are competing with tons of other people for supremacy! The mind boggles!
Tue 09/04/02 at 23:08
Please just discuss www. on PS2 and no stupid spamming, thanks!
Tue 09/04/02 at 22:30
A lot of questions have yet to be answered when mentioning this topic, but when will hear them?

Standard PC's come with a 56 kps modem or a 26.6 kps modem which as many of you know is almost impossible to enjoy a game of Half Life or your favourite shooter whilst enjoying the experience, the PS2 Hard Drive will come with an ADSL Cable modem and playing games over the net will be a pure joy and it will open up a whole new world of gaming, but what will have to be done to make our areas/homes suitable for this device. To rent an ADSL modem from NTL it would cost £50 per month + server bill and it worked out very expensive and inpratical. As many of you know not all roads are ADSL ready and therefore it can not be installed, how will the PS2 manage to get around this? Will the modem be built into the PS2? Your phone sockets will have to be changed to make way for the cable modem.

One of the possiblities which sounded interesting was the chance to download Demos of all the latest games onto your PS2's Hard drive without having the hassle of worrying what the discs are doing to your machine. The hard drive space will be limited but no-one wants to save a demo for ever as new ones will be able to erase over your old ones.

Will Sony introduce Applications that can be downloaded onto your PS2 and ran from there? Game cheats could be downloaded and accessed on your Hard drive without the hassle of getting all the codes wrong and wasting time. Will there be all the sites that are accessible to us now or will we be restricted?

Where ever there is contact with others there will always be trouble, will your PS2 Hard Drive conatin an anti virus program that will stop others wiping your memory card or playing around with programs on your PS2? Viruses can easily be stopped/sorted out on a PC but where will your PS2 go if it contracts a virus from the internet.

Will we be able to download games at a small cost and then run them from our hard drives? Or will Sony bring out a CD/DVD writer that will allow us to download PS2 compatable programs and then write them to disc so that they can be stored and used at a later date?

Piracy will continue to roam the games world casting its gloom but will the PS2's Hard Drive increase the rate of Piracy and will someone find away around the Hard Drive like they have done with Modification Chips?

Playing people over the net will become all the more frequent and we already have seen some internet ready games out on the PS2 long before the Hard Drive is released. As with most projects that are big there will be a host of problems to deal with before most people will purchase the Hard Drive, as with the PC internet Credit Card fraud was a huge problem which has gradually been reduced since the Net first was established but will the PS2 take the same amount of time in handling mis-fortunes like this?

Will Gaming Tournaments will be held over the PS2 net? Will there be monthly prizes for the best scores on games played and then submitted via an in-game option, this will open up a lot more competition in games and may take the fun out of playing them, all of these are conditions that have to be looked into before releasing the PS2 Hard Drive.

Will the Hard Drive increase the PS2's playing power from a 128mb to a 256mb, some games may require the hard drive to play and not everyone will be able to get one, will all this spoil the video-gaming industry instead of leaving it up to our PC's to handle this side of things?

Will it turn the PS2 into something bigger than it is now? Or will it be like the big fat ugly X-Box which is really just a very cheap computer rather than an expensive games console?

www. on PS2 I believe will extend the PS2's powers to a new level and quite frankly I CAN'T WAIT!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.