GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"hip-hop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 22:00
Regular
As a lifelong dedicated hip-hop fanatic, I was just wondering if there are any other 'hedz' that use these boards. As editor of my own British hip-hop website, i feel its my duty to recommend some classic UK hip-hop albums... for anyone into hip-hop in general (be it Eminem, Outkast or Ja Rule) make sure you don't overlook the homegrown acts! There are some wicked artists, who rap in British accents, about life in the UK... and for some reason alot of peeps have never heard about it.

So, my suggestions:

Braintax: Biro Funk
Roots Manuva: Brand New 2nd Hand
Roots Manuva: Run Come Save Me
Lewis Parker: Masquerades and Silhouettes
Aspects: Correct English
Blak Twang: 19 Long Time
Blak Twang: The Kick Off (out any day soon)
Ty: Awkward
Skitz: Countryman
Numskullz: Ad Infinitum
Raw Materials 2 (compilation)
Wordlab 1 & 2 (compilations)
Sat 13/04/02 at 08:58
Regular
"Back in black"
I heard some Black Twang today. Something about kick off!? It was awful and cheesy! Oh dear!
Thu 11/04/02 at 14:55
Regular
"95% organic"
Loki, yeh please do check the site and let me know what you think. It's a bit of a triumph of style over content at the moment, but there are so many other UK hip-hop sites these days that it's become quite hard to dominate the right niche.
If you want me to know when any live shows are on, let me know, there are ALOT of very good British hip-hop nights on at the moment. I would recommend reaching for DEKEFEX @ Mass (Brixton) or KUNGFU @ The Underworld (camden) if you ever fancy gettin back into the scene
Thu 11/04/02 at 14:46
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
No, I'm a different Loki. These are the only forums I ever really visit.

I'll take a look at your site when I get home from work. A few years ago I tried to start a UK hip hop site, but my domain registration fell through and I lost the name I wanted. 3 years ago there was no where to go for up to date listings of London events, releases and clubs that related to UK hip hop so I thought I'd do it myself. I even sorted out some interviews, sources for reviews copies, cotributors - everything. Then I got a ful time job and it all fell apart. Luckily, a few others had the same idea and a few more sites sprung up over the next couple of months.
Thu 11/04/02 at 13:55
Regular
"95% organic"
Loki, my site's called www.UKhip-hop.com: but to be honest, I've been pretty lame about updating it recently!
Are you the same Loki from the HHM forums? If so, it's a small world!
Thu 11/04/02 at 10:13
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Yes, love UK hip hop but kind of been out of touch with it recently. Was into Rodney P/London Posse, DJ Skitz, Skeleton, Icepick, Hijack, Ty, Demon Boys, Numbskullz, Lewis Parker - loads of stuff. But lost touch recently and haven't even picked up much US stuff for a while. Shame.

What site are you involved with?
Wed 10/04/02 at 00:55
Regular
"95% organic"
True, Blak Twang may not be the best freestyler (that credit has to got to Chester P from Task Force), but he's a pioneer. Both his albums are absolutely top-notch, believe.

Its true, UK hip-hop doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but someday soon it will. I'm gonna make sure of that. When the mass market realises So Solid & co have paperweight lyrical skills and the novelty wears off, they're going to turn to our incredibly talented underground hip-hop scene. Hip-hop is the biggest selling genre in the whole music industry, and Britain has always been a trendsetter in popular music (at least in the last half-century)... so surely it can only be a matter of time?
Tue 09/04/02 at 22:15
Regular
I heard Black twang freestyling on Radio, Oh dear is all I can say.
Tue 09/04/02 at 22:10
I saw the blak twang video on Yo! on mtv the other day. Pretty good. I'm sad to say I don't listen to a lot of British hiphop besides Roots Manuva, because it is so poorly publicised. I try to listen to Westwood as often as I can, but it's hard on Friday and Saturday nights to get the chance. Obviously the magazines like HHC can try their best, but it's no fun to read about someone w/o the opportunity to hear them. They get no airplay, MTV's barely interested, and I don't live in London. So the job is nigh-on impossible, and the albums are hard to buy w/o due cause. We get a few acts coming to Manchester, we've had Dilated Peoples and Jurassic 5 here lately, but little else. So that's why I'm sad to say I don't listen to as much (often exceptional) English hiphop as I'd like.
Tue 09/04/02 at 22:00
Regular
"95% organic"
As a lifelong dedicated hip-hop fanatic, I was just wondering if there are any other 'hedz' that use these boards. As editor of my own British hip-hop website, i feel its my duty to recommend some classic UK hip-hop albums... for anyone into hip-hop in general (be it Eminem, Outkast or Ja Rule) make sure you don't overlook the homegrown acts! There are some wicked artists, who rap in British accents, about life in the UK... and for some reason alot of peeps have never heard about it.

So, my suggestions:

Braintax: Biro Funk
Roots Manuva: Brand New 2nd Hand
Roots Manuva: Run Come Save Me
Lewis Parker: Masquerades and Silhouettes
Aspects: Correct English
Blak Twang: 19 Long Time
Blak Twang: The Kick Off (out any day soon)
Ty: Awkward
Skitz: Countryman
Numskullz: Ad Infinitum
Raw Materials 2 (compilation)
Wordlab 1 & 2 (compilations)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.