GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My New Freeola Website Diary"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/01/15 at 12:29
"possibly impossible"
I've been toying with the idea of setting up my own site (4DGamers.com) for a while. I already run another site where the Web Host has the only access to the coding and contribute to another, so it was high time I dusted off my little coding knowledge alongside a new domain and a web host that would be flexible and cost effective.

Freeola was only one of my choices but as I'd been with them as an ISP before and had a long history with the company, plus knowing that their customer support is pretty helpful, I decided to use them for my Domain and Web Hosting.

Day 1
=====
At first I wasn't sure what tools to use. There was no way I could code enough to come up with a site from scratch and Freeola offered their Instant Pro site construction. It was, however, a rocky road to success as Instant Pro, while a great instant website builder, just wasn't flexible enough for my needs.

Day 2
=====
Some help on the Freeola forums pointed me towards a One-click install option for several Web Design tools.

Day 3
=====
Looking at the options, both Joomla and Wordpress were powerful enough for my needs, while offering further development once set up. Having worked on several Wordpress based sites before, I decided to go with that.

Honestly, the install was far easier than I could have ever imagined and I was up and running with Wordpress on my Freeola Site within 30 minutes, including the install itself.

I choose a theme from the huge amount on offer, designed a banner and popped a few older stories on the site to see what it would look like. By this time it was pretty late at night and my wife popped her head around the door and made grumbling noises.

Day 4
=====
Theme changes and logo changes were on the cards and a brand new banner had been designed to go with the current logo. I found the perfect theme that contained a slider showing the latest posts and that was flexible enough for me to add my own bits and pieces to the site.

At the same time, I checked out the Freeola Email options and created a couple of email addresses. However, I may have to wait until the site has some way to get money coming in before I use the email pro option that allows you to have incoming and outgoing email without a Freeola internet connection.

Day 5
=====
More articles added, moving menus and sidebars around and adding a few affiliate links. Still getting to grips with CCS and working out how to do more complicate changes behind the scenes. I've also now applied for the Freeola Website Promotion service.
Mon 09/02/15 at 22:57
"possibly impossible"
It won't be fixed until tomorrow at the earliest so any advice is welcomed!
Mon 09/02/15 at 17:21
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
...Working on it!

Feedback is my middle name!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 09/02/15 at 16:17
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

Yes, also on iOS. Working on it!

Cool...

You know what to do if you need any help....
Mon 09/02/15 at 16:11
"possibly impossible"
chasfh wrote:
Hmmm... wrote:
[i]Hi pb,
Just FYI in case you hadn't seen.

The 'responsive' WordPress theme you are using seems to have a hiccup with the mobile view navigation...

Using the hamburger menu I notice items that have additional links (console, handhelds, mobile) all expand to empty white elements for me. But there are actually links there if you press.

I'm seeing this via a Nexus 5 and 7 and haven't tested via iOS.

NB. You can also see the problem via a desktop if you use Firefox > Developer > Responsive Design View.

Let me know if I'm making sense here!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

It also happens in IE 11, and on a Windows phone...

I think that just about covers everything. Should be relatively easy to fix though![/i]

Yes, also on iOS. Working on it!
Fri 06/02/15 at 22:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
DL wrote:
Well that's technology for you pb ... and England have now scored ... Wales 10 - 5 England :¬)

... and now England have won ;¬)

Can't wait for Ireland v England.
Fri 06/02/15 at 20:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Well that's technology for you pb ... and England have now scored ... Wales 10 - 5 England :¬)
Fri 06/02/15 at 18:39
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Hi pb,

The 'responsive' WordPress theme you are using seems to have a hiccup with the mobile view navigation...

Using the hamburger menu I notice items that have additional links (console, handhelds, mobile) all expand to empty white elements for me. But there are actually links there if you press.

NB. You can also see the problem via a desktop if you use Firefox > Developer > Responsive Design View.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

It also happens in IE 11, and on a Windows phone...

I think that just about covers everything. Should be relatively easy to fix though!
Fri 06/02/15 at 15:25
"Are you sure?"
Hi pb,

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 05/02/15 at 22:55
"possibly impossible"
Thanks DL.
Thu 05/02/15 at 19:23
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice one pb ... site is looking great :¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.