GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Portfolio issues"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/01/15 at 10:44
Regular
Ok, I apologise for my unhappiness if that's how it appears, but I've owned my domain name for some 15 years. For the last however many, I have successfully renewed that domain name without issue. Realising that the date for renewal was approaching, i signed into freeola to be met with "domain name not in your portfolio".

I tried to add the domain name, but for some reason unknown, the email link is to a dead address from 8 years ago, so my other option is to provide the transaction number...from 1999? It's not even on the billing history on freeola, so why would I still have a piece of paper or email that old?

I can't even attach proof of identity to an email. I have to print off and send a copy via post. Every other transaction these days is simple, quick and doable online. Freeola? Nope.

I'll admit, I'm not technically minded, but this takes the simple and convenient approach of modern businesses and steps back to awkward and inconvenient. Seemingly for no reason. I can obviously sign into my account, retrieve emails they send, so why make managing a domain name frustrating?

Rich
Thu 08/01/15 at 10:35
"Are you sure?"
theguitardoctor wrote:
I would suggest sending emails to the original email address AND the addresses associated with any domain name.

Hi @theguitardoctor,
Sorry to read about your frustrations, but the good news is it only appears to be an admin issue which you can resolve.

I maintain many Freeola domains for my clients (well over 100) and the reminder and renewal system works well for me.
The 'renewals' option in MyFreeola and also the ability to sort and display all your domains in expiry date works well.

I have all the renewals sent to my email address as my clients want me to take care of the admin. Some have moved their domains to me/Freeola as they can't (or don't want to) monitor things themselves. So your suggestion wouldn't work well for me.

Once you've got over the admin hurdle and the domain is fully in your control via MyFreeola all should be fine for you.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT:
I believe Freeola also post a physical reminder to the domains registered address as a last resort if all the previous email reminders haven't been actioned which gives the owner a chance to sort things out before it's too late.
Thu 08/01/15 at 09:49
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Just to add to this, it is the domain registrants responsibility to ensure that contact data is kept up to date at all times. Please refer to ICANN's Domain Name Registrants' Responsibilities, points 4 and 5 here, which we link to via the Terms & Conditions link that is in the footer across our site. Registrants' agree to these terms when purchasing and renewing domains through us.
Wed 07/01/15 at 21:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Now over to you ... Motomod and Freeola have made a valid explanation of requirements :¬)

Well done Freeola.
Wed 07/01/15 at 21:05
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Just to clarify, Domain Management (aka adding your domain name to a MyFreeola portfolio) is not required in order to renew your domain name. Renewals can be placed on GetDotted.com using the advice from my last message:

motomod wrote:
To renew your domain name you can do so via GetDotted at the following url:

http://getdotted.com/renewals/

By doing this you will not need to add your domain name to your MyFreeola portfolio, though you will be required to be logged into a (doesn't matter which) MyFreeola account.

--

Domain Management (aka adding your domain name to your portfolio) provides additional functionality to a MyFreeola account for management your domain name, but is not required to renew a domain name. This functionality includes changing DNS settings, updating registration details and so on.

When a domain name is registered we allow you to provide us with additional email addresses (in addition to the registration email address) for us to send our renewal reminders to. These email addresses are used only for sending renewal reminders do and don't prove domain ownership. We can only prove proof of purchase using the email address provided as the registration email address. Should this address be inactive or unusable then we have to use another way to ensure that we're receiving a legitimate request.

In regards to your last comment about your address changing, this is ultimately at the discretion of the Support Manager, but ideally I would suggest you provide a utility bill or similar at the address that you originally registered the domain name with, if possible. For more ways of providing proof of ownership I would suggest that you have a chat with our Support Team.

Without confirming that we're talking to the domain name registrant we can't make any changes to your domain name (other than renewing) otherwise users would be able to take control of other user's domains.

I hope that helps clear things up for you.
Wed 07/01/15 at 19:12
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
You have a point there ... now over to Freeola ...
Wed 07/01/15 at 18:43
Regular
Also as far as I'm aware my address has changed several times since I purchased the domain name so how can I provide details pertaining to that address if I moved years ago...?!
Wed 07/01/15 at 18:40
Regular
I would suggest sending emails to the original email address AND the addresses associated with any domain name. The initial email address I used was a temporary one to purchase and setup the domain only and has been dead for many years. There was actually no online way to purchase the domain without an email address. As I have never seen any contact from yourselves regarding ownership other than renewals, which actually do come to the domain related email (?) presumably as you've continued to use the old temporary email, thus I have not been able to change anything. Whenever I have signed into my account, the only email listed is my current guitar doctor one which relates to the domain name anyway, so how would I ever know there was an issue? You've allowed me to renew it every 2 years for as long as I remember, but suddenly there's a problem? And apparently it's my fault....?!
Wed 07/01/15 at 12:02
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
To renew your domain name you can do so via GetDotted at the following url:

http://getdotted.com/renewals/

By doing this you will not need to add your domain name to your MyFreeola portfolio, though you will be required to be logged into a (doesn't matter which) MyFreeola account.

---

If you wish to add your domain name to a MyFreeola account (which I'd advise) so that you can manage it, you will need to complete the process stated in MyFreeola. The reason for this is security. We require evidence of ownership or proof of purchase to move a domain, otherwise another user might be able to move your (or any anybody else's!) domain name into their account. We usually ask for the current MyFreeola account's credentials to perform the move, but in some cases a domain name may not be in a MyFreeola account, for example if it was purchased before we introduced the MyFreeola account system. We may also attempt to send an email to an old email address, should we have one on record.

The transaction number is what we ask for next, if the above two steps are unavailable. Although we don't expect all users to still have this information it allows us to move a domain name quicker. As a last resort we accept a copy of identification (which must match the registered owner of the domain) so that we can ensure that the request is legitimate.

I hope this clears this up for you, as although it may be inconvenient we must remain rigid with our security practises to ensure our customer's domains stay safe.
Wed 07/01/15 at 10:44
Regular
Ok, I apologise for my unhappiness if that's how it appears, but I've owned my domain name for some 15 years. For the last however many, I have successfully renewed that domain name without issue. Realising that the date for renewal was approaching, i signed into freeola to be met with "domain name not in your portfolio".

I tried to add the domain name, but for some reason unknown, the email link is to a dead address from 8 years ago, so my other option is to provide the transaction number...from 1999? It's not even on the billing history on freeola, so why would I still have a piece of paper or email that old?

I can't even attach proof of identity to an email. I have to print off and send a copy via post. Every other transaction these days is simple, quick and doable online. Freeola? Nope.

I'll admit, I'm not technically minded, but this takes the simple and convenient approach of modern businesses and steps back to awkward and inconvenient. Seemingly for no reason. I can obviously sign into my account, retrieve emails they send, so why make managing a domain name frustrating?

Rich

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.