GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THe RiSe oF #GReeNWaLL."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/01/15 at 10:37
Regular
"Cogito Ergo Pwn."
Have you ever wondered what a Greenwall is? Actually have you ever wondered what THE Greenwall is? Have you ever heard of Greenwall? I hadn’t until a few days ago, but after this weekend I can honestly say I’m a fan.

eSports is a new thing for me. I don’t compete, and can quite comfortably say I probably never will. I can remember a time before having a computer at home, a time before the internet and a time when playing a video game at home involved nothing more than hitting a white dot across a black screen.

eSports is a young person’s game. This might sound crazy when playing seems to involve little more than sitting on your a**e. But the level of gaming ability some of these kids possess is truly astounding, and I’m sure youthful energy and hard-wired reflexes play quite a large part.

(That and having enough spare time to dedicate to practising plus an unadulterated view on caffeinated energy drinks probably helps too!! But I digress…)

I don’t know exactly how but I found out about this little Call of Duty event going on in Orlando, Florida over the weekend. A bit of internet digging later I discovered it wasn’t such a little event after all. In fact this thing was quite big.

If you hadn’t guessed already I knew sweet FA about any of this. The event, the teams and the players were all new to me. I was a noob. I was a virgin. But I was also unknowingly about to discover what all the fuss is about watching eSports.

In a very small nutshell there is a CoD league going on right now. There are also a number of tournaments happening, one of which was hosted by UMG Gaming in Orlando between 2nd and 4th January. Winners of the weekend event would receive a cheque for $15,000. Not bad, eh?

The first game of the tournament, well the first one I watched anyway, was between the teams OpTic Gaming and Revenge. Just before the stream started the chatroom was already abuzz with people bigging up OpTic. This, it would seem, was the team to beat.

I was a little surprised, then, when they lost their opening game 3-0. They then went on to lose their second game 3-0. What was all the hype about to begin with, then?

Well to start with OpTic Gaming has a certain “NaDeSHoT” playing for them. He’s a Call of Duty World Champion, although by these early rounds it was hard to see how. A lot of people were saying he was choking, but then that’s what chatrooms can be like; Harsh and not particularly fair.

“Scumpii” was also getting a lot of hate, as were OG’s new boys “Crimsix” and “Formal”. This was all still very new to me, so I just watched this unfold before me. The gaming was amazing (honestly, these kids were all fantastic CoD players) even though the chatroom didn’t necessarily reflect this.

It was Day 2 when I started to see what all the fuss was about with OpTic. To stand any chance of progressing they had to win their next two matches. They all seemed to step up to the plate, but it was NaDeSHoT and Scumpii who seemed to take the matches by the throat.

Now I must admit to not completely understanding the structure employed to work out who got through to the next round. There was a group round followed by knockouts, but the ‘losers’ of some were still able to qualify. Anyway, Day 3 definitely saved the best till last.

By this point several teams were building up a head of steam. Stunner Gaming, outsiders at the start of the tournie, were still going strong after upsetting OpTic (who were themselves finding form at just the right time). Denial were also looking good for a strong finish.

The games I was able to watch displayed the best levels of CoD play I have ever seen. The skill these players have was quite phenomenal. The speed and accuracy they showed put my pissy little CoD stats to shame.

Importantly for OpTic Gaming they all stood up to be counted on the final day. NaDeSHoT and Scumpii continued from day 2, but Crimsix and Formal also got some great scores in too (getting nearly 100 kills between them in Game 1 of the Final).

OpTic Gaming won the day then, and I have to say they deserved it. They started poorly but got better as the tournament progressed, and really on Day 3 it was theirs to lose. NaDe, Scump, Crim and Formal… I salute you.

And just in case you’re not sure just how BIG this is, “Optic” was the second highest trend on Twitter just after the final. That is insane. And it shows what a growing industry eSports is. It’s only a matter of time before serious money gets invested and we are talking about eSports stars in the same we we already talk about more regular sports stars.

Oh yeah, the Greenwall? It would appear to be a nickname for OpTic Gaming that’s come about thanks to its fans flooding the chatroom after they win; it is, quite literally, a wall of green. At least that what it seems to be but I could be completely wrong. You don’t believe everything you read on the internet do you?

OpTic Gaming picking up the cheque
From left to right: Crimsix, Formal, NaDeSHoT and Scumpii.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 05/01/15 at 10:37
Regular
"Cogito Ergo Pwn."
Have you ever wondered what a Greenwall is? Actually have you ever wondered what THE Greenwall is? Have you ever heard of Greenwall? I hadn’t until a few days ago, but after this weekend I can honestly say I’m a fan.

eSports is a new thing for me. I don’t compete, and can quite comfortably say I probably never will. I can remember a time before having a computer at home, a time before the internet and a time when playing a video game at home involved nothing more than hitting a white dot across a black screen.

eSports is a young person’s game. This might sound crazy when playing seems to involve little more than sitting on your a**e. But the level of gaming ability some of these kids possess is truly astounding, and I’m sure youthful energy and hard-wired reflexes play quite a large part.

(That and having enough spare time to dedicate to practising plus an unadulterated view on caffeinated energy drinks probably helps too!! But I digress…)

I don’t know exactly how but I found out about this little Call of Duty event going on in Orlando, Florida over the weekend. A bit of internet digging later I discovered it wasn’t such a little event after all. In fact this thing was quite big.

If you hadn’t guessed already I knew sweet FA about any of this. The event, the teams and the players were all new to me. I was a noob. I was a virgin. But I was also unknowingly about to discover what all the fuss is about watching eSports.

In a very small nutshell there is a CoD league going on right now. There are also a number of tournaments happening, one of which was hosted by UMG Gaming in Orlando between 2nd and 4th January. Winners of the weekend event would receive a cheque for $15,000. Not bad, eh?

The first game of the tournament, well the first one I watched anyway, was between the teams OpTic Gaming and Revenge. Just before the stream started the chatroom was already abuzz with people bigging up OpTic. This, it would seem, was the team to beat.

I was a little surprised, then, when they lost their opening game 3-0. They then went on to lose their second game 3-0. What was all the hype about to begin with, then?

Well to start with OpTic Gaming has a certain “NaDeSHoT” playing for them. He’s a Call of Duty World Champion, although by these early rounds it was hard to see how. A lot of people were saying he was choking, but then that’s what chatrooms can be like; Harsh and not particularly fair.

“Scumpii” was also getting a lot of hate, as were OG’s new boys “Crimsix” and “Formal”. This was all still very new to me, so I just watched this unfold before me. The gaming was amazing (honestly, these kids were all fantastic CoD players) even though the chatroom didn’t necessarily reflect this.

It was Day 2 when I started to see what all the fuss was about with OpTic. To stand any chance of progressing they had to win their next two matches. They all seemed to step up to the plate, but it was NaDeSHoT and Scumpii who seemed to take the matches by the throat.

Now I must admit to not completely understanding the structure employed to work out who got through to the next round. There was a group round followed by knockouts, but the ‘losers’ of some were still able to qualify. Anyway, Day 3 definitely saved the best till last.

By this point several teams were building up a head of steam. Stunner Gaming, outsiders at the start of the tournie, were still going strong after upsetting OpTic (who were themselves finding form at just the right time). Denial were also looking good for a strong finish.

The games I was able to watch displayed the best levels of CoD play I have ever seen. The skill these players have was quite phenomenal. The speed and accuracy they showed put my pissy little CoD stats to shame.

Importantly for OpTic Gaming they all stood up to be counted on the final day. NaDeSHoT and Scumpii continued from day 2, but Crimsix and Formal also got some great scores in too (getting nearly 100 kills between them in Game 1 of the Final).

OpTic Gaming won the day then, and I have to say they deserved it. They started poorly but got better as the tournament progressed, and really on Day 3 it was theirs to lose. NaDe, Scump, Crim and Formal… I salute you.

And just in case you’re not sure just how BIG this is, “Optic” was the second highest trend on Twitter just after the final. That is insane. And it shows what a growing industry eSports is. It’s only a matter of time before serious money gets invested and we are talking about eSports stars in the same we we already talk about more regular sports stars.

Oh yeah, the Greenwall? It would appear to be a nickname for OpTic Gaming that’s come about thanks to its fans flooding the chatroom after they win; it is, quite literally, a wall of green. At least that what it seems to be but I could be completely wrong. You don’t believe everything you read on the internet do you?

OpTic Gaming picking up the cheque
From left to right: Crimsix, Formal, NaDeSHoT and Scumpii.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.