GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Search For A Hero??"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/12/07 at 16:27
Regular
"THFC"
I know that there have been several characters who can be seen as the Playstation's mascot, Lara Croft, Crash, but all these now appear on every console under the sun.

It is so hard to find a game which is for that format only, Playstation and X-box have a lot of games the same, Nintendo have Mario, and he doesn't appear many other places than on a Nintendo Console, well he appears in nearly every nintendo title doesn't he?

But then i am not so sure if there is a need for a "Hero" anymore, with so many big game developers and loads of great games i think the Mascot era is over. Can anyone think os a Sony Mascot, someone who who immediatley think Playstation when you hear it.

For me, if i had to name one then it would be between Ratchet and Jak. They follow the genre which the Mascot had traditionally been chosen (platformer) they do not appear in other formats, they have a few spin off titles. People like them and they could well be a marketable character. But they have too much of a story.

Eventually their games will end, i don't even know if jak will have another game, ratchet's latest Game is wonderful and hugely enjoyable. But like a post i made before with mario not having much to him, he has unlimited playability. He has an arch nemesis, some powerups, a princess and some friends in a fictional world.

This means no matter how much mario 64 is like Sunshine and Galaxy, they are still different enough to be enjoyable and sell millions because they are fun!

Maybe people disagree with me and maybe you can think of some Characters which would be better suited as the Playstation mascot, but then again, maybe there is no need for one, just because the greatest rivalry ( Mario & Sonic) have finally made up, maybe there shouldnt be such a drift between consoles.

I look forward to your responses!
Tue 11/12/07 at 16:27
Regular
"THFC"
I know that there have been several characters who can be seen as the Playstation's mascot, Lara Croft, Crash, but all these now appear on every console under the sun.

It is so hard to find a game which is for that format only, Playstation and X-box have a lot of games the same, Nintendo have Mario, and he doesn't appear many other places than on a Nintendo Console, well he appears in nearly every nintendo title doesn't he?

But then i am not so sure if there is a need for a "Hero" anymore, with so many big game developers and loads of great games i think the Mascot era is over. Can anyone think os a Sony Mascot, someone who who immediatley think Playstation when you hear it.

For me, if i had to name one then it would be between Ratchet and Jak. They follow the genre which the Mascot had traditionally been chosen (platformer) they do not appear in other formats, they have a few spin off titles. People like them and they could well be a marketable character. But they have too much of a story.

Eventually their games will end, i don't even know if jak will have another game, ratchet's latest Game is wonderful and hugely enjoyable. But like a post i made before with mario not having much to him, he has unlimited playability. He has an arch nemesis, some powerups, a princess and some friends in a fictional world.

This means no matter how much mario 64 is like Sunshine and Galaxy, they are still different enough to be enjoyable and sell millions because they are fun!

Maybe people disagree with me and maybe you can think of some Characters which would be better suited as the Playstation mascot, but then again, maybe there is no need for one, just because the greatest rivalry ( Mario & Sonic) have finally made up, maybe there shouldnt be such a drift between consoles.

I look forward to your responses!
Tue 11/12/07 at 23:14
Regular
Mario appeared on various non-Nintendo systems:

PC, CD-i, NEC PC-8801, Atari, ZX Spectrum, Commodore... (etc)

Lara Croft also appeared on PC with Tomb Raider (according to the back of my game's box in 1996).

Sure, twas a while before Crash came out on other systems..

Even if characters do appear on other systems, we still associate them with particular formats...

Lara Croft - Original Playstation (now she w****s herself out to anyone who can afford her)
Mario - all Nintendo
Master Chief - Xbox/360
Donkey Kong - all Nintendo

Those developers who do multi-format releases should, however, do their best to make sure they're recognised on all formats...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.