GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Intermittent connection with DNS errors"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/12/14 at 21:32
Regular
For the last 5-6 weeks I have been disconnected from the internet. It can happen at any time of day and sometimes can be every 2-3 minutes. Sometimes it will reconnect itself but most of the time I need to reset the router.

It seems to be DNS problems but even when I change the DNS servers on the router the same problem occurs.

Could this be a router or a phone line error or something else?

Please help as its driving me mad.
Thu 18/12/14 at 19:27
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hi Geeg,

I can see from your account notes that you have submitted a ticket earlier today which one of my colleagues has picked up and responded to.

Hopefully you got a headstart on some of the checks advised after our resident helper Hmmm... suggested some.

Best to keep things on the ticket perhaps, but feel free to post again as we are always able to help outside of that.
Thu 18/12/14 at 09:41
"Are you sure?"
When I mention "troubleshoot" - I mean using the TEST socket, swapping routers, looking at line stats, checking the voice side of things is ok etc.

I'm guessing when you've used "troubleshoot" you are letting the browser/PC check things for you? If there's a connection issue DNS will often get a mention but that would be a red herring.

If you can see that the actual sync is being lost then that won't be a DNS problem.

It could be a line issue or equipment problem.
Or being caused by electrical interference - Xmas lights can be bad news.

So I would suggest asking Freeola via a Support Ticket to take a look and/or try troubleshooting the problem by swapping kit and testing using the TEST socket. If you haven't got a test socket then unplug everything else from the phone sockets.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 17/12/14 at 23:33
Regular
When I troubleshoot it says there is a DNS error and when I check the router settings when disconnected it also states a DNS problem.

I have been with Freeola for 10 years and its only been in the last 6 weeks (ish) that this problem has been happening. Sometimes I can use the internet for days without issue or be disconnected about 20 times an hour (like today).

Using Net Uptime Monitor, which uses Google/ Level3 and OpenDNS as test targets I have been disconnected 8 times in the past 10 mins. I have changed the filter and cable just incase but to no avail.

Could it be a phone line problem? Or a router problem (DSL-3680) - I changed to this router about 3 months ago but had no problems at first?

Starting to really do my head in
Wed 17/12/14 at 22:59
"Are you sure?"
Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you can see the router is dropping the connection then it doesn't sound like a DNS issue to me.

I would raise a support ticket to see what Freeola say.

My old page on understanding broadband may help you with troubleshooting.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 17/12/14 at 21:32
Regular
For the last 5-6 weeks I have been disconnected from the internet. It can happen at any time of day and sometimes can be every 2-3 minutes. Sometimes it will reconnect itself but most of the time I need to reset the router.

It seems to be DNS problems but even when I change the DNS servers on the router the same problem occurs.

Could this be a router or a phone line error or something else?

Please help as its driving me mad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.