GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console indecision"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 17:58
Regular
First of all i was determined that i was going to buy an xbox in march, now its April and iam not really sure of the future, and wether xbox is going to survive.

In a large scale way, wether the xbox will keep up is very much going to be dependant on price.

In a world where ps2 launched at £300, it seems odd that nearly everyone on these forums has moaned at some time or another about the cost of xbox. This is partly casued by the forthcomming Nintendo gamecube which in this war is set to 'shake things up' as it were, especailly considering difference in price.

Owning a U.S xbox was my first venture into the world of xbox, and i loved it played it to death and then promptly sold my u.s machine with the intention of gettign a uk one on launch, but now iam left with a dilema as i have found the Gamecube quite attractive.

Rumours are already around the internet (and even teletext digitiser) that gamecube will reduce in price if sony reduces price of ps2, which does make me wonder if xbox can keep up that combined with the fact that compared to the other two consoles it seems that xbox has almost half of the games on uk release. I hope that xbox makes more of a impact soon, as otherwise its under serious threat from nintendo. Especially when i realised the other day i could get a Gamecube, Portable 5" screen and battery pack for price of a xbox.
Wed 10/04/02 at 16:14
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
If i can get my auctions to all sell, then i might get both that way i coudl play all three and sell off what isnt being used. Super monkey ball looks great
Wed 10/04/02 at 15:24
all i can say is don`t get an xbox because it has high specs it isn`t high enough to make a big diffrence in gameplay just the price of the console.

also don`t buy gamecube because of the price. as the saying is money isn`t everything.

and don`t buy ps2 because it has sold the most. it may have sold loads but in newspapers i see one for sale everyweek just cause it sold well doesn`t mean the people who brought it liked it.

i`m going for gamecube because i don`t see the xbox as a contender because many of the games are on other formats and it boosts about the specs but like i said at the top it isn`t big enough. i wont buy the ps2 because i had a ps1 and i found i spent more on the console than the games because i only buy good games and only a few were AAA titles.i`ll buy the gamecube cause i`m never let down but the games and i also don`t think i can live with out perfect dark or mario for 5 or so years.

but when you chose it`s because you want it not cause other people want it. because there will never be one clear winner because ps2 fans will boost it sold the most when people with xbox will say it was the most powerful and gamecube owners will say it had perfect dark,mario etc
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:38
"slightlyshortertagl"
Phi11ip wrote:
> HálloHowArtThou wrote:
I think these 'console wars' should be summed up
> with the phrase:

'You pay for what you get'

How much was the Sega Saturn?

I said THESE console wars....

:-D
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:33
"High polygon count"
Prodigy wrote:
> Well the thing is if i sell my ps2, i will then buy xbox
> and gamecube, trouble i is i dont want to regret any decision

Well, only you can decide that. Look at the games available, and the games to come, on each platform, and see which appeal to you more.

It never entered my head to get rid of my PS2 when I got my Xbox, and I'm glad of that. After playing Halo, Munch's, PGR and DoA3 - as brilliant as they are - I can say with 100% certainty that I would have deeply regretted losing my PS2. If I had to choose just one to keep, there would be no hesitation in getting rid of the Xbox.

Of course that's just my personal opinion, but that's the only one I can give. I've no doubt that YH will tell you that he has no regrets whatsoever since he got rid of his PS2. Which is why it's important to take what we both say purely as advice, and then make up your own mind.
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:30
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
HálloHowArtThou wrote:
I think these 'console wars' should be summed up with the phrase:

How much was the Sega Saturn?
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:28
"slightlyshortertagl"
XBox if you have the money and want quality games for your money.

I think these 'console wars' should be summed up with the phrase:

Wed 10/04/02 at 11:22
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I moaned at the price of the Playstation when it came out and thats why I didn't buy one. There was still a high demand though because it was a sequel console from a great hit and it had had much hype. The XBox is a first timer and people are not sure about how it will fare, like me. Microsoft need to consider the price of their console becuase it is a hefty price to pay for a first time console and im not going to buy something I'm not sure about when its priced like that.

P.S Im gonna get angry in a minute because some idiot has stuck all the keys on this keyboard in different places and I've got to try and remember where each key is. Don't get upset if I start moaning a lot, this post has taken 10 minutes to write!!
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:20
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Prodigy wrote:
> My question for you is was xbox good enought to get
> you
> to sell your ps2?

He will say definitley.

I would say
> definitely not. Worth having, definitely, but not at the expense of my PS2.

Well the thing is if i sell my ps2, i will then buy xbox and gamecube, trouble i is i dont want to regret any decision
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:16
"High polygon count"
Prodigy wrote:
> My question for you is was xbox good enought to get you
> to sell your ps2?

He will say definitley.

I would say definitely not. Worth having, definitely, but not at the expense of my PS2.
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:14
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Your Honour wrote:
> Get an XBox. You're paying for quality.

My question for you is was xbox good enought to get you to sell your ps2?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.