GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games made to provoke?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 17:56
Regular
Do game designers purposely aim to provoke contraversy? I am sitting here now looking at the Hooligans game banner. Why? Who thought of this game? Do people think it is funny to make a game about something that has destryoed thousands of lives?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed GTA3, but i still do not condone the fact that it is about stealing and murdering. ok, GTA3 is an exagerated reality, so there is a clear line between game and reality. But Hooligans is based on real events.

I have never been a subject to football hooliganism nor do i know any one who has, but people who play this game are condoning the action of football hooliganism.

Ok, so some of you must be sitting there thinking that we see violence in movies, and listen about it in music but we are not 'interacting' in the event. If you watch a film ID, it portrays a gritty realism to football hooliganism, it does not condone it. This game does condone it, the designers are letting you organise and participate in acts that are not only un-needed, but also scares the name of a national sport.

I feel that provokative games are ok if portraying an altered state of realty, but that is all. When a game crosses the line and bases itself around criminal reality i think it is not creative, it is just a cheap and easy way of establishing your game company and it's designers.
Tue 09/04/02 at 22:43
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I don't think anyone's questionning the morals of what developers do, but at the end of the day, "money makes the world go round" and if it's going to bring money in, they'll do it.

I feel the one thing that can be said about a game like hooligans is, it hasn't been scheduled particularly well. Of course it's going to sell well, but I feel the developers COULD have kept it until after the World Cup, when it probably wouldn't come so much into the public eye.

They have a responsability on that level.
Tue 09/04/02 at 18:45
www.hooligans-thegame.com
Tue 09/04/02 at 18:03
Regular
"Hmmm....."
To answer your first question........... maybe.

They sell well so i dont think they mind how contraversial they are.

I dont either.

Anyway,
Ive heard about this "hooligans" game but never seen it on a website or anything.

Can you show me any site with some info on please.
Tue 09/04/02 at 17:56
Do game designers purposely aim to provoke contraversy? I am sitting here now looking at the Hooligans game banner. Why? Who thought of this game? Do people think it is funny to make a game about something that has destryoed thousands of lives?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed GTA3, but i still do not condone the fact that it is about stealing and murdering. ok, GTA3 is an exagerated reality, so there is a clear line between game and reality. But Hooligans is based on real events.

I have never been a subject to football hooliganism nor do i know any one who has, but people who play this game are condoning the action of football hooliganism.

Ok, so some of you must be sitting there thinking that we see violence in movies, and listen about it in music but we are not 'interacting' in the event. If you watch a film ID, it portrays a gritty realism to football hooliganism, it does not condone it. This game does condone it, the designers are letting you organise and participate in acts that are not only un-needed, but also scares the name of a national sport.

I feel that provokative games are ok if portraying an altered state of realty, but that is all. When a game crosses the line and bases itself around criminal reality i think it is not creative, it is just a cheap and easy way of establishing your game company and it's designers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.