GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quality .vs. Quantity"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 13:53
Regular
Everyone has been saying that games nowadays are getting shorter. This may be true with some games I think but why is this? Is it a new stategy companies are using? I know in Nintendo's games there may have been a pattern towards this and maybe Sony too. But people say that they want more out of a game and that it can get annoying and disappointing. This maybe true as I have played games like this and you are left wanting more. Is this a good thing? Are games getting shorter?

Well lets look at the games first shall we. There have been games like Luigi's Mansion, Crazy Taxi and WWF Royal Rumble. These are all good examples of games that don't have the lifespan you want. The average gameplay on these is around 8 hours. 8 Hours! Well this is very little and should be a lot more but it does depend on two things. Firstly it depends on what game it is. Secondly it depends on how bored of it you get and if you still like it. Let me explain it like this.

You play Luigi's Mansion and complete it. Done and finished. Now you can sell it, but wait there is something else here. You can play it again but with different extras like better vacuum, more ghosts and so on. Now as I said this game is an adventure game so when it is done it is done. But if you still like Luigi's Mansion then there is no harm in trying it again in another mansion mode. So you can get a little more out of the game. Now see what I mean.

You can do the same with Crazy Taxi. It is an arcade and it can get a little boring after a while. But this is what you expect. It is an arcade game and arcade games do not last long. But it depends if you like going back doing the same again trying to beat your score. Now lets see the longer games.

Super Mario 64, Legend Of Zelda, Pro Evolution Soccer are all good games and not because of the graphics and sound and so on but because of the lastibility. Take Mario 64 for example. This game lasts ages and this is because there is more to completing the game. You must find all the secrets to complete it fully and this applies for other games unless it is a multiplayer like Pro Evolution Soccer and WWF Smackdown Just Bring It. But short games can be just as good.

The future for gaming looks good as games like Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Perfect Dark and others are hitting the consoles soon and all the original games before have been a huge success. This all is fine for some people but also there are more longer games coming out than short ones so this is good.

Also is a game about quality too. If a game was total rubbish but long, would that be better than a quality game with great graphics, cool music and great controls but short with 8 hours of play. I don't think so. Another good thing out of this is that if games are short more titles can be released. This I know is a plan for Nintendo but not all games will be short.

So some games may be getting shorter but remember some games that are short can be replayed. So in my view it is about quality not quantity.
Tue 09/04/02 at 13:53
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Everyone has been saying that games nowadays are getting shorter. This may be true with some games I think but why is this? Is it a new stategy companies are using? I know in Nintendo's games there may have been a pattern towards this and maybe Sony too. But people say that they want more out of a game and that it can get annoying and disappointing. This maybe true as I have played games like this and you are left wanting more. Is this a good thing? Are games getting shorter?

Well lets look at the games first shall we. There have been games like Luigi's Mansion, Crazy Taxi and WWF Royal Rumble. These are all good examples of games that don't have the lifespan you want. The average gameplay on these is around 8 hours. 8 Hours! Well this is very little and should be a lot more but it does depend on two things. Firstly it depends on what game it is. Secondly it depends on how bored of it you get and if you still like it. Let me explain it like this.

You play Luigi's Mansion and complete it. Done and finished. Now you can sell it, but wait there is something else here. You can play it again but with different extras like better vacuum, more ghosts and so on. Now as I said this game is an adventure game so when it is done it is done. But if you still like Luigi's Mansion then there is no harm in trying it again in another mansion mode. So you can get a little more out of the game. Now see what I mean.

You can do the same with Crazy Taxi. It is an arcade and it can get a little boring after a while. But this is what you expect. It is an arcade game and arcade games do not last long. But it depends if you like going back doing the same again trying to beat your score. Now lets see the longer games.

Super Mario 64, Legend Of Zelda, Pro Evolution Soccer are all good games and not because of the graphics and sound and so on but because of the lastibility. Take Mario 64 for example. This game lasts ages and this is because there is more to completing the game. You must find all the secrets to complete it fully and this applies for other games unless it is a multiplayer like Pro Evolution Soccer and WWF Smackdown Just Bring It. But short games can be just as good.

The future for gaming looks good as games like Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Perfect Dark and others are hitting the consoles soon and all the original games before have been a huge success. This all is fine for some people but also there are more longer games coming out than short ones so this is good.

Also is a game about quality too. If a game was total rubbish but long, would that be better than a quality game with great graphics, cool music and great controls but short with 8 hours of play. I don't think so. Another good thing out of this is that if games are short more titles can be released. This I know is a plan for Nintendo but not all games will be short.

So some games may be getting shorter but remember some games that are short can be replayed. So in my view it is about quality not quantity.
Tue 09/04/02 at 13:55
"slightlyshortertagl"
i see what you mean but you've strung it out a bit too much.

:-D
Tue 09/04/02 at 13:57
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I see what you mean. i'll keep that in mind for another time.
Tue 09/04/02 at 14:00
"slightlyshortertagl"
Quality not Quantity!

:-D
Tue 09/04/02 at 14:02
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
WHHHOAAAAAAA!
Tue 09/04/02 at 14:11
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Golden Sun is pretty good value for money. I paid £30 for it and it took me about 33 hours to finish. I didn't spend much time levelling up my characters and played it pretty solidly for about a week.
Lesser players could spread the lastability out to 40+ hours which is good value. And it's a great game as well.

Compare that to Metal Gear Solid 2. A very great game which you might play through 2 or more times, but it didn't take me that long to finish, and although the dog-tag challenge is a possible reason for replayability it was a bit short.
Some people might have even payed £45 in places like Dixons, and in terms of value for money, that's not too good.
But i suppose MGS2 is an exception because it's darn good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.