GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grand Theft Auto X..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 01:14
Regular
I'm sure I'm not alone if I declare my love of GTA3 on the PS2. To me, it is without a shadow of doubt my favorite game of all time. Not only that, but it is a game that instantly impressed me more than any other (and that's going against the arrival of my imported Super Famicom when I was 13!). All too often the latest release will be a scarcely revamped homage to an older game, lacking any innovation, with game developers all to eager to clone past successes. Which brings me neatly to my main point, WHY HAVEN'T WE SEEN ANYONE COPYING GTA3? They should make games exactly like it, just with subtle differences. For once, that would be a REALLY good thing! I'd buy as many games like that as the sale of the shirt off my back would permit!

Imagine exactly the same kind of game engine, the massive, immersive worlds, the characters, the missions... we know that the PS2, and game designers, can create these masterpieces. Just apply GTA3 to a different setting... Some ideas off the top of my head, for instance:

THE WILD WEST: GTA3 with cowboys and injuns, ride horses, wagons, steamboats and canoes. Rob banks, hunt down 'wanted' felons, perform jail breaks, work for Injun tribes, rustle cattle (with a hint of 'Herdy Gerdy'!), assasinate sheriffs.

VICTORIAN LONDON: GTA3 but in the frighteningly dark old London Town. Full of jack the ripper type characters, local scoundrels, gin parlours, busty wenches. Working as a Sherlock Holmes style character.

SAMURAI: GTA3 in the tried and tested environs of feudal Japan. Samurais, ninjas, fighting monks, temples. Working as a Ronin (mercenary samurai) to gain power amongst feuding clans.

DARK FUTURE: GTA3 as a cross between Mad Max and Blade Runner. Anarchy on the streets, mad botched-together vehicles, gangs, cyborgs, corporations, techno-assasins etc

STAR WARS: GTA3 meets Star Wars, just imagine the possibilities! If LucasArts and Rockstar got together and followed that kind of idea through properly, it would become the best-selling game of all time... and could spawn countless equally enjoyable sequels.

ASTERIX: GTA3 with 'indomitable Gauls!!. Set in France under the Roman Empire, with chariot racing, gladiator fights, barbarian villages, centurions, druids. Start as a newly freed slave to become Emperor!

HORROR: GTA3 set in a strange town/forest/creek experiencing strange phenomena (oooo... scary). Zombies, witches, American high school students, big trucks, magic etc. Working as a X-files type secret agent to uncover the mystery, working undercover as a member of a local cult.

GULF WAR: GTA3 insensitively placed in Baghdad, working as a day to day Iraqi dude. With Allied troops, Saddam's agents, tanks, assorted weapons of mass destruction, and spies from all over. Either help topple the dictator, or join Saddam's council... the choice is yours!

WW2: GTA3 meets Saving Private Ryan meets The Great Escape. Working as a commando behind enemy lines in a Nazi occupied city, rescue POWs, assassinate Gestapo, ride bikes, humvees with machine guns, help local resistance etc.

GTA 4 5 6 7etc: Loads more GTA games just like GTA3 but with new cities, gangs, vehicles bla bla

So, come on all you PS2 developers... play GTA3, see the sales figures, and then make a title with near identical gameplay and depth. Never mind originality, BRING IT ON!
Tue 09/04/02 at 19:31
Regular
illzen wrote:
GULF
> WAR: GTA3 insensitively placed in Baghdad, working as a day to day Iraqi dude.
> With Allied troops, Saddam's agents, tanks, assorted weapons of mass
> destruction, and spies from all over. Either help topple the dictator, or join
> Saddam's council... the choice is yours!

That my friend is called "conflict desert storm" which is set around the time of the gulf war
with you aiming to topple the main boss, you go around in groups of 4 and all sorts of cool stuff.
Tue 09/04/02 at 18:50
Some quality ideas illzen - perhaps the gaming snobs may complain about the lack of originality, but considering the rubbish which has been/and is still being produced, you could be on to a good thing.

GTA3 is, in my opinion, an almost perfect game. A key element for me is that by using enertaining, small missions, as its gameplay, it attracts both those who like to indulge in hour-long playing, plus those who prefer to dip in and out.

Particularly, like the Lucasarts combo - Star Wars could do with a really decent game. To be honest, you should've kept this to yourself; can just imagine some game developer running with this idea!
Tue 09/04/02 at 17:44
Regular
"Self-attraction???"
Good ideas i like the the old victorion times one very good. :)
Tue 09/04/02 at 13:31
Regular
"95% organic"
Cheers for the approval folks! I shall have to start posting on a regular basis (...to reach the eschelons of 'regular' status!)

And here's another few potential GTA3 clones:

KING ARTHUR: GTA 3 with knights, peasants, wizards, castles, dragons and princesses. Working as sime kind of Robin Hood character with axes, crossbows and magic wands.

1950s CHICAGO: GTA 3 in prohibition America. Al Capone, the Mafia, speak-easys, cool old vintage cars, tommy guns, Robert Redford and Paul Newman. Starting as a street urchin shoe shiner, moving up the gangster ranks, acquiring pinstripe suits and trilby hats.

FANTASY: GTA 3 meets Lord of the Rings... I've not heard anything about the Lord of the Rings games coming out this autumn: but with any luck, it could still be a GTA 3 rip-off.

MIAMI: GTA set in Miami. This is the only one in my list that looks like an imminent possiblility! Rumours from Rockstar Production suggest that this will indeed be the setting for the genuine article GTA4. Jet-ski drive-by shootings on Miami beach anyone?
Tue 09/04/02 at 10:14
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
For someone who's been registered for 165 days and isn't a regular then you should be. Where have you been for the last 165 days? With ideas like that bring the rest on.

Brilliant ideas there, Rockstar and LucasArts phew the mind boggles!

Great post, great ideas, lets hope you stick around with some more or them, oh and welcome back to SR! ;D
Tue 09/04/02 at 07:02
Regular
Some great ideas there illzen
Tue 09/04/02 at 01:32
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I like the Wild West Idea and the sequels that are just more of the same from the original GTA3 with say planes and so on.

Oh yeah and Asterix!

:0)

You could inject err I mean drink magic potion.
Tue 09/04/02 at 01:14
Regular
"95% organic"
I'm sure I'm not alone if I declare my love of GTA3 on the PS2. To me, it is without a shadow of doubt my favorite game of all time. Not only that, but it is a game that instantly impressed me more than any other (and that's going against the arrival of my imported Super Famicom when I was 13!). All too often the latest release will be a scarcely revamped homage to an older game, lacking any innovation, with game developers all to eager to clone past successes. Which brings me neatly to my main point, WHY HAVEN'T WE SEEN ANYONE COPYING GTA3? They should make games exactly like it, just with subtle differences. For once, that would be a REALLY good thing! I'd buy as many games like that as the sale of the shirt off my back would permit!

Imagine exactly the same kind of game engine, the massive, immersive worlds, the characters, the missions... we know that the PS2, and game designers, can create these masterpieces. Just apply GTA3 to a different setting... Some ideas off the top of my head, for instance:

THE WILD WEST: GTA3 with cowboys and injuns, ride horses, wagons, steamboats and canoes. Rob banks, hunt down 'wanted' felons, perform jail breaks, work for Injun tribes, rustle cattle (with a hint of 'Herdy Gerdy'!), assasinate sheriffs.

VICTORIAN LONDON: GTA3 but in the frighteningly dark old London Town. Full of jack the ripper type characters, local scoundrels, gin parlours, busty wenches. Working as a Sherlock Holmes style character.

SAMURAI: GTA3 in the tried and tested environs of feudal Japan. Samurais, ninjas, fighting monks, temples. Working as a Ronin (mercenary samurai) to gain power amongst feuding clans.

DARK FUTURE: GTA3 as a cross between Mad Max and Blade Runner. Anarchy on the streets, mad botched-together vehicles, gangs, cyborgs, corporations, techno-assasins etc

STAR WARS: GTA3 meets Star Wars, just imagine the possibilities! If LucasArts and Rockstar got together and followed that kind of idea through properly, it would become the best-selling game of all time... and could spawn countless equally enjoyable sequels.

ASTERIX: GTA3 with 'indomitable Gauls!!. Set in France under the Roman Empire, with chariot racing, gladiator fights, barbarian villages, centurions, druids. Start as a newly freed slave to become Emperor!

HORROR: GTA3 set in a strange town/forest/creek experiencing strange phenomena (oooo... scary). Zombies, witches, American high school students, big trucks, magic etc. Working as a X-files type secret agent to uncover the mystery, working undercover as a member of a local cult.

GULF WAR: GTA3 insensitively placed in Baghdad, working as a day to day Iraqi dude. With Allied troops, Saddam's agents, tanks, assorted weapons of mass destruction, and spies from all over. Either help topple the dictator, or join Saddam's council... the choice is yours!

WW2: GTA3 meets Saving Private Ryan meets The Great Escape. Working as a commando behind enemy lines in a Nazi occupied city, rescue POWs, assassinate Gestapo, ride bikes, humvees with machine guns, help local resistance etc.

GTA 4 5 6 7etc: Loads more GTA games just like GTA3 but with new cities, gangs, vehicles bla bla

So, come on all you PS2 developers... play GTA3, see the sales figures, and then make a title with near identical gameplay and depth. Never mind originality, BRING IT ON!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.