GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fritzbox! Reviews (replacement for 'double box' system)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/08/14 at 16:49
Regular
Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my Freeola/BT VDSL kit with a Fritzbox.

The main reason is to free up a plug, however, I see that the Fritzbox has added features.

Has anyone had experience of the range? If so, what are they like to install and run?

Neil
Sat 16/08/14 at 10:18
Regular
I connected my phone system to it yesterday. Quite impressed at the features available for call handling.

There is Do Not Disturb, fax, answer phone. Mobile can pick up and use land line. Alarm clocks.

There's all kind of goodies.

The Fritz!Box 7490 is a good piece of kit (once you get it working).

N.
Thu 14/08/14 at 22:49
Regular
I switched the channels to manual but discovered I had the wrong 'allow new device' setting set.

I assumed that 'Do not allow any new device' related to mac address filtering, so set that.

I reset it to allow all new devices and everything connected (with WPA2).

EDIT: The 'Do Not Allow...' does relate to MAC address filtering, but you have to let the device attempt to connect once with the 'Allow...' setting before you switch over. A bit long-winded really.

Neil
Thu 14/08/14 at 22:16
"Are you sure?"
Anything useful in the logs? Check both ends (router and PC).

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 14/08/14 at 21:03
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Make sure it hasn't switched to a high channel. If your devices are wireless N or G some don't like the high channels such as 13 and 14. If they are ac then I'm not sure, don't have experience of the new standard. Also if auto channel switching is on switch it off and set the channels manually (use the channel monitor on the router to pick a good channel).
Thu 14/08/14 at 18:49
Regular
Famous last words.

None of my Wifi devices are connecting. The key is correct.

Almost at the point of giving up..

N.
Thu 14/08/14 at 17:30
Regular
Thanks for the response, Eccles.

FYI I actually have

Annex A

and it seems to be flying.

Regards,

Neil
Thu 14/08/14 at 17:09
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Did you change the VLAN id?
If not you need to tick the box that says 'Use VLAN for Internet access' and set the ID to 101.

Edit beat me to it!

For reference VLAN:101
VCI: 32
VPI:1
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Annex B.
Thu 14/08/14 at 16:31
Regular
@Eccles

Help!

I had a 7490 delivered today. I have spent the entire day trying to get it to connect to Freeola.

It says ready with my expected down and up speeds as expected, but I have no internet whatsoever.

I have entered all the right MAC addresses, username, password Vci, Vpi, pppoa/vc-mux.

Have I missed something?

Neil

EDIT: Got it!! I had to set the VLAN ID to 101 *and* use PPPoE. That only took 7 hours to work out.
Sun 03/08/14 at 20:06
Regular
Thanks.

Looks like I may get one.

N.
Fri 01/08/14 at 19:52
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
It has a pretty good interface for non techy users so should be fairly easy to setup. You can switch to advanced mode if you like to tinker a bit. WiFi range is good in my house and also reaches out to the garden shed/man cave, which can be handy. It all depends on the environment it is in though but it's certainly one of the better routers I've tried and I've had a fair few! DECT is good, nice to get rid of another box (phone base station) and be able to get answering machine messages emailed to me when not at home. Also makes it easy to block annoying calls.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.