GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] - The Walking Dead - Amid The Ruins - S2 Ep 4 - 360/PS3/PC"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/07/14 at 18:14
Regular
"Braaains"
I used to think that the Eastenders Christmas special was bleak, but it's got nothing on Season 2 of the The Walking Dead. Without giving too much away, Season 2 has outdone Season 1 in the bleakness stakes. Without giving too much of the plot away, I can reveal that Amid The Ruins, like previous episodes, feature a good few character deaths.

However, their impact is actually lessened somewhat by the fact that you come to expect them. Season 1 had the balance about right, but Season 2 seems to be getting a bit too gothy and depressing for its own good. I'm not expecting kittens and balloons, but Season 1 let up the pace at times, making the character deaths and tragic moments all the more shocking.

That's not to say the episode is terrible - it's not, and it progresses the story nicely. The episode begins with Clementine and her group having escape from the location where the bulk of the last episode place, only to regret it somewhat as they realise they've got a pregnant woman in tow and precious few supplies.

The episode itself takes place in a national park, itself devoid of precious natural resources. The gameplay is similar to previous games, talking bits and exploration mixed in with quick-time events and other action scenes. Clem does learn to kick ass bit more in this episode - she's definitely come on a long way from the 'Awww.. aren't I cute and don't you want to look after me?' thing she had going in Season 1.

There are a few new characters introduced, though I can't help but the Jane, the strong independent female loner, is pretty much identical to the strong independent female loner character last seen in Season 1 Episode 4. Also, her relationship with Clementine is somewhat telegraphed by her back story. In fact, a lot of the plot events are fairly predictable.

The graphics and voice acting are all up to par, and one neat feature Season 2 as a whole has is that you can jump to a particular episode without having finished the last, the game generating your choices. Though those choices might not matter so much, and this is my second gripe with the game.

I've mentioned before that your choices don't have a huge impact, despite the game promising that they change the storyline. But working my way through to Episode 4 has really underlined this for me. There have been about four main characters so far that you can - through your actions - choose if they live or die. Except that if you choose that they live, they die in the same episode or the one after.

Take the big choice you were given at the end of the last episode, where you had the choice of lopping of a character's arm to save them from a walker bite, mere seconds after being bitten. It worked in the comic, and worked for at least one character in this series. Except if you cut it off, they bleed to death. If you don't, they die from walker infection. Not much choice really.

If you think I sound a bit disgruntled by this, then you'd be right. Amid The Ruins has a passable enough storyline that continues Clem's adventures, but the writing doesn't feel all that great compared to previous episodes. And the fact your choices have real no impact diminishes the experience somewhat. If you've paid for the season pass, then by all means download this. But was it worth the two month wait? Honestly, probably not.

Pros:
It's more 'The Walking Dead'
The storyline is passable.

Cons:
But the storyline's not as good as previous episodes.
The choices you make have no real effect.
It's so grim it's almost funny.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 22/07/14 at 18:14
Regular
"Braaains"
I used to think that the Eastenders Christmas special was bleak, but it's got nothing on Season 2 of the The Walking Dead. Without giving too much away, Season 2 has outdone Season 1 in the bleakness stakes. Without giving too much of the plot away, I can reveal that Amid The Ruins, like previous episodes, feature a good few character deaths.

However, their impact is actually lessened somewhat by the fact that you come to expect them. Season 1 had the balance about right, but Season 2 seems to be getting a bit too gothy and depressing for its own good. I'm not expecting kittens and balloons, but Season 1 let up the pace at times, making the character deaths and tragic moments all the more shocking.

That's not to say the episode is terrible - it's not, and it progresses the story nicely. The episode begins with Clementine and her group having escape from the location where the bulk of the last episode place, only to regret it somewhat as they realise they've got a pregnant woman in tow and precious few supplies.

The episode itself takes place in a national park, itself devoid of precious natural resources. The gameplay is similar to previous games, talking bits and exploration mixed in with quick-time events and other action scenes. Clem does learn to kick ass bit more in this episode - she's definitely come on a long way from the 'Awww.. aren't I cute and don't you want to look after me?' thing she had going in Season 1.

There are a few new characters introduced, though I can't help but the Jane, the strong independent female loner, is pretty much identical to the strong independent female loner character last seen in Season 1 Episode 4. Also, her relationship with Clementine is somewhat telegraphed by her back story. In fact, a lot of the plot events are fairly predictable.

The graphics and voice acting are all up to par, and one neat feature Season 2 as a whole has is that you can jump to a particular episode without having finished the last, the game generating your choices. Though those choices might not matter so much, and this is my second gripe with the game.

I've mentioned before that your choices don't have a huge impact, despite the game promising that they change the storyline. But working my way through to Episode 4 has really underlined this for me. There have been about four main characters so far that you can - through your actions - choose if they live or die. Except that if you choose that they live, they die in the same episode or the one after.

Take the big choice you were given at the end of the last episode, where you had the choice of lopping of a character's arm to save them from a walker bite, mere seconds after being bitten. It worked in the comic, and worked for at least one character in this series. Except if you cut it off, they bleed to death. If you don't, they die from walker infection. Not much choice really.

If you think I sound a bit disgruntled by this, then you'd be right. Amid The Ruins has a passable enough storyline that continues Clem's adventures, but the writing doesn't feel all that great compared to previous episodes. And the fact your choices have real no impact diminishes the experience somewhat. If you've paid for the season pass, then by all means download this. But was it worth the two month wait? Honestly, probably not.

Pros:
It's more 'The Walking Dead'
The storyline is passable.

Cons:
But the storyline's not as good as previous episodes.
The choices you make have no real effect.
It's so grim it's almost funny.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.