GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Walking Dead S2 Episode 3: In Harm's Way Review - PS3/PC/360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/06/14 at 23:09
Regular
"Braaains"
'When there is no more room in hell, the miserable will walk the earth.' Okay, I may have altered that Dawn of the Dead quote a bit, but I feel it's fair given that the first two episodes of Telltale's The Walking Dead are pretty bleak. And guess what? It does seem like things are going to get any easier for Clementine and her fellow survivors in this latest episode, In Harm's Way.

As the episode begins, they've been carted off by Carver and his gang. Turns out the survivors Clementine hooked up with used to be part of his community, and he wants them back. Poor old Clem - she can't get a break. Without giving too much away, Episode 3 revolves around the gang's attempt to survive and potentially escape from the community. Although given that Carver's gang are holed up in a pretty well defended DIY warehouse, you might wonder why they'd want to escape.

Because he's a bit of a nutter, that's why. He's supposedly trying to keep the survivors alive, but it's not clear whether he actually believes he needs to be a vicious git to accomplish this or if he's just using it as an excuse. But during the course of the game he ends up offing one of his own community, just to underline what a sod he is.

Not all the community are loons, though - in fact most seem fairly well balanced, including a few of the characters from the 400 Days mini-episode, though they don't have big roles in the game, more walk-on cameos. Only Bonnie, a woman who seems to really need to be liked, has a significant role.

Gameplay is pretty similar to the previous episodes in that you roam around performing tasks and completing the odd zombie-bashing quick time event. But where In Harm's Way really excels is in its storytelling. I actually found myself getting quite attached to Clem's fellow survivors, despite not caring about them much in the first episode. And despite my fears that Carver would become a massive season-wide baddie, given that he's played by Michael Madsen, this isn't quite the case.

That said, In Harm's Way does have one problem, which is that the decisions you make only really affect how people treat you, not what actually happens in the game. The community member I mentioned earlier ends up getting killed no matter what you do, despite you having a choice which you'd think would influence his fate. It does also end on a cliffhanger, though it's not quite as bad as the previous episode's abrupt ending. The graphics are also pretty good, not too cartoony, yet still having a comic book feel.

Season 2 of The Walking Dead is turning out to be a great experience, and if you haven't already bought it, I'd heartily recommend it. Great stuff.

Score: 9 out of 10.

Pros:
It's got a great storyline.
You'll actually care about the characters.

Cons:
You don't really influence events as much as you might think.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 05/06/14 at 23:09
Regular
"Braaains"
'When there is no more room in hell, the miserable will walk the earth.' Okay, I may have altered that Dawn of the Dead quote a bit, but I feel it's fair given that the first two episodes of Telltale's The Walking Dead are pretty bleak. And guess what? It does seem like things are going to get any easier for Clementine and her fellow survivors in this latest episode, In Harm's Way.

As the episode begins, they've been carted off by Carver and his gang. Turns out the survivors Clementine hooked up with used to be part of his community, and he wants them back. Poor old Clem - she can't get a break. Without giving too much away, Episode 3 revolves around the gang's attempt to survive and potentially escape from the community. Although given that Carver's gang are holed up in a pretty well defended DIY warehouse, you might wonder why they'd want to escape.

Because he's a bit of a nutter, that's why. He's supposedly trying to keep the survivors alive, but it's not clear whether he actually believes he needs to be a vicious git to accomplish this or if he's just using it as an excuse. But during the course of the game he ends up offing one of his own community, just to underline what a sod he is.

Not all the community are loons, though - in fact most seem fairly well balanced, including a few of the characters from the 400 Days mini-episode, though they don't have big roles in the game, more walk-on cameos. Only Bonnie, a woman who seems to really need to be liked, has a significant role.

Gameplay is pretty similar to the previous episodes in that you roam around performing tasks and completing the odd zombie-bashing quick time event. But where In Harm's Way really excels is in its storytelling. I actually found myself getting quite attached to Clem's fellow survivors, despite not caring about them much in the first episode. And despite my fears that Carver would become a massive season-wide baddie, given that he's played by Michael Madsen, this isn't quite the case.

That said, In Harm's Way does have one problem, which is that the decisions you make only really affect how people treat you, not what actually happens in the game. The community member I mentioned earlier ends up getting killed no matter what you do, despite you having a choice which you'd think would influence his fate. It does also end on a cliffhanger, though it's not quite as bad as the previous episode's abrupt ending. The graphics are also pretty good, not too cartoony, yet still having a comic book feel.

Season 2 of The Walking Dead is turning out to be a great experience, and if you haven't already bought it, I'd heartily recommend it. Great stuff.

Score: 9 out of 10.

Pros:
It's got a great storyline.
You'll actually care about the characters.

Cons:
You don't really influence events as much as you might think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.