GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Price drop! Quite intriguing!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/04/02 at 15:10
Regular
Rumours have been going round of a price drop that may soon or at some point in the future be happening. The prices are gonna drop to something like this :-

£200-220 for X-Box
£120-150 PS2
and
£105 for Gamecube

I was talkin' to a guy workin' in a games shop today and he said that the Gamecube might even go down to that price for the launch. So these price drops maybe quite imminent!

One of the reasons for this I think is that the X-Box is doing REALLY bad at the moment! No-ones buying it anymore! All the people who wanted to buy it, bought one at launch. The price is too high for the average gamer to go "oooo, I wouldn't mind one of those" and then buy it. They'd rather just splash out around £200 on a PS2, or wait a month and get the Gamecube which is £160-170 ish. So as the X-Box is doing sooo bad, Microsoft are going to be forced to drop the price. With the X-Box coming down in price, it's going to have a knock on effect on everything else. Cos if the X-Box does come down in price then it's going to be a little more than a PS2 at the moment. So maybe some people might be swayed into buying an X-Box instead of a PS2. So Sony are then going to have to lower the price of the PS2. Now people might wanna buy that, cos it's now even cheaper. This will then make it a similar price to the Gamecube, thus Nintendo then have to lower thier price if they want to get people to buy Gamecube instead of PS2.

So what's going to happen?

If this is going to happen, then it'll probably happen some point next month. If the Gamecube's released at around £165 then so many people are going to want to buy that instead of X-Box, that the X-Box is just going to be completely stuffed. Thus the X-Box price has a high chance of coming down. And IF it does, so will everything else!

This is quite good for the gamers I think. Cheaper consoles = more games for you! :D Well there's also the fact that I wanna get a PS2 as well as the Gamecube I just pre-ordered from SR last week, and so this price drop is looking good to me!

What are your opinions on these rumours? You think it's gonna happen? You want it to happen?

Also does anymore at SR know anything about this?

:)
Thu 05/06/14 at 13:43
Regular
For swapping items only. No money is to change hands in this board.
Mon 22/04/02 at 21:54
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Solskjær wrote:
> Yes Cooky we're all a bunch of idiots! :(
> And some may even say that Nintendo are even worse due to the shocking
> news. I don't think it will help the console sell more now, but it
> should sell out slightly quicker than it would at £165.

You don't think it will help the console sell more???

Are you insane?

:)
Mon 22/04/02 at 17:21
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yes Cooky we're all a bunch of idiots! :(
And some may even say that Nintendo are even worse due to the shocking news. I don't think it will help the console sell more now, but it should sell out slightly quicker than it would at £165.

I wonder if places like EB will NOW be setting their RRP to £150...
Mon 22/04/02 at 17:11
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
HAHAHAHAHA!

At all the people who said it wasn't gonna go down in price before launch!

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!

:p
Tue 09/04/02 at 22:34
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
ALL such
> price drops and strategies are announced in corporate statement on corporate
> websites in advance, or just as they tell retailers.

Not until thy're in place they're not ! Retailers place orders for items like consoles far in advance of when they think they'll actually need the stock. Thye don't just have buyers who browse the net and go "oh PS2 has come down, ring sony and buy 50" Retailers generally know before web statements are made, keeping strategies secret is how all companies survive...
Tue 09/04/02 at 22:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Belldandy wrote:
Err well even lowly employees like me get to
> see details of price drops and stuff - and where I work isn't even solely a
> games store, but we knew about the last PS2 price drop, the MGS2/PS2 pack and
> the GT3/PS2 pack before SR and other sources posted about it !

ALL such price drops and strategies are announced in corporate statement on corporate websites in advance, or just as they tell retailers.

Not to would be stupid. If they told retailers, and then told people later, they could well have lost some customers to other consoles. Certainly in the case of a price drop BEFORE the launch of the GC this would have happened (considering people have actually prepaid for consoles!).

Sonic
Tue 09/04/02 at 20:20
Regular
"Bah"
imagine a GC for £99 this chrismas -it would be rude not to buy one! the only game on the Xbox i like is Halo besides that its a no-no but certainly if a GC was £100 with just one controller i would defiately buy one it would be so worth it and i think a lot of other people would too
steve
Tue 09/04/02 at 14:23
Regular
Fair enough the X-box has had terrible European and Japanese sales. I expected a slow launch in the UK anyway seeing as they released the console only a couple months after Christmas, where most people are still paying off the large debts they managed to get themselves in.

However, I reckon the X-box's sales will start to pick up after all the school exams in the summer and leading up to Christmas this year, as that's when people tend to have the money. So I wouldn't be suprised if Microsoft keep to the full price until at least October when people will be starting their Christmas shopping and all the kids say "I want an X-box for Christmas!".

The Playstation 2 has already had numerous price cuts and it would be suprising to see any more significant drops in the price. Though if Microsoft's X-box and Nintendo's GameCube's sales increase over the summer period then I can imagine Sony having to do something to keep their console at the top spot - maybe more advertising at peak hours, more sports sponsorship, etc.

I would be very suprised if the GameCube dropped in price before 2003. When I was talking to a sales assistant in a videogame store in Cardiff, he told me that many retailers were in discussions with Nintendo about the price because it was so low! I don't think these companies thought that Nintendo would stick to their original "Project-Dolphin" announcement when they said it would have a RRP of £150! The RRP is still £150 and it's the retailers decisions themselves to sell units for more. They've got to make a profit somehow! As for a price drop - If Nintendo do lower the RRP in the future, I can only predict minor price changes by the shops themselves maybe even to match the original £150 price Nintendo wants the GameCube to sell for.

If, however, Microsoft do decrese their price by a drastic amount, then Sony and Nintendo will need to put a lot of work into promoting their consoles to try and keep their sales up. Many people have stated they'd get an X-box if it had a lower price-tag, and I probably would myself when it looks like the console is coming to the end of production (like I did with the Dreamcast).

If Microsoft do lower their price though, it could start off the first major price war we've ever seen in the videogames market! Microsoft lower their prices, then Sony does which makes the GameCube's already low price seem nothing special, and so Nintendo lower their price. Then Microsoft suffer from still having the highest priced console in the market and so lower the price of the X-box again, causing the Playstation 2 and GameCube's prices to lower to ompletely rediculous amounts.

If this does happen though, it could effect other media markets too and have a devastating effect on electronics businesses! Though I doubt it would escalate to this, we could see the DVD player market being effected by the future DVD playable Playstation 2 and X-box being so cheap, that to keep selling products in the UK, Panasonic, Sony, Matsui, and all the other major electronic brands would have to lower the prices of their DVD players! Profits would be low, and though at first seem good for us consumers, jobs would be lost in the major warehouses and plants all around the country.

Don't let the above paragraphs scare you though, that's just an "if" statement. It may never happen, and hopefully wont to that extent. Price-cuts are only healthy if small and few when it comes to the media. In other media, Compat Discs, the prices have slowly increased so that where you could've bought a new album for around £10-£12 in the mid 1990's, you now have to pay around £15! Tough us British have so many taxes to pay, it wouldn't suprise me if prices of games increase even further in the future. Fair enough games developers spend a lot of money in producing decent games nowadays, but the games market is already said to be richer than the movie world, and is soon to take over the music industry, and you all know how much a DVD movie or a compact disc costs in comparison to new games!

So, back to the main point. I would be very very suprised if any of the consoles come down in price in the near future.
Tue 09/04/02 at 11:28
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Cooky wrote:
One of the reasons for this I think is that
> the X-Box is doing REALLY bad at the moment! No-ones buying it anymore! All
> the people who wanted to buy it, bought one at launch. The price is too high
> for the average gamer to go "oooo, I wouldn't mind one of those" and
> then buy it.

Bear in mind that the X-Box has the same price as the PS2 at launch, which didnt put any casual gamers off...

Equally, the X-Box had an early Spring time launch in Europe... Whereas the PS2 was launched at the run up to Christmas, a time at which everyone tends to spend a little more thanthey should on luxuries...

I'm not sure what Microsofts strategy was for releasing the X-Box when they did... it may have been to get some recognition during the year, then drop the price at Christmas and hope to sell out? ... I dunno? But I'm sure they have a plan up their sleves...

Although Microsoft isnt run by Bill Gates anymore, don't forget that Microsoft (well, Bill Gates) in the past has stated that no one need more than 640K memory in their PC's... That the Internet was a passing fad... But that has then successfully performed a complete U-Turn and continued to win out, again and again, over their competitors, and gained enourmouse strenth by it...

They seem to be a company that has learnt by IBM's mistakes and are not content to sit on their laurals, assured of success...

I'm not looking to buy a console currently, and If I decide to, then it certainly wont be until a month or two after the GameCubes launch, though if I were the X-Box would certainly currently be by choice.

I've read a lot of anti-X-Box posts, and a lot of people exclaiming its imminent demise already, however, the X-Boxes launch, so far has held an increadable number of parrallels to that of the PS1 launch, and to underestimate a company like Microsoft must be a fools judgment?
Mon 08/04/02 at 22:17
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
But don't believe everything game shop employees tell you- they DON'T
> get any inside info, nor do they know more about games than the average person
> on these forums. Most of what they say is just from rumours they hear online!

Err well even lowly employees like me get to see details of price drops and stuff - and where I work isn't even solely a games store, but we knew about the last PS2 price drop, the MGS2/PS2 pack and the GT3/PS2 pack before SR and other sources posted about it ! Of course it depends on the place where you work and how secret they keep their info - but at my place its basically open season ! Spent yesterday's dinner break routing through boxes of Episode 2 figures looking for chase figures (heaven for sad star wars nut like me!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.