GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recovering data off a hard disk"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/04/02 at 13:33
Regular
I had a problem resulting from some IBM software confusing my old drive with the one I had jsut installed. The IBM software kindly formatted my old drive for me and the left the empty one untouched and unusable.

I ran a system restore in a vain effort to salvage my files but failed. I've not touched the disk since, and was wondering what I could do to salvage the data off it..

Thanking you muchly.
Thu 05/06/14 at 12:49
Regular
What Colour Will They Be ?
Wed 10/04/02 at 13:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you've formatted your hard drive AND re-installed over the top, the chances of recovering your files are hovering ever so slightly below infintecimal. Sorry :-)
Mon 08/04/02 at 14:42
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
Mr. Happy wrote:
> I had a problem resulting from some IBM software confusing my old drive with the
> one I had jsut installed. The IBM software kindly formatted my old drive for me
> and the left the empty one untouched and unusable.

I ran a system restore in
> a vain effort to salvage my files but failed. I've not touched the disk since,
> and was wondering what I could do to salvage the data off it..

There are some free data recovery programs available on the internet - try www.tucows.com and do a search for "data recovery"

What you'll have to do is get the drive with lost data, and then simply run the program - i.e. don't install anything new on it or you'll definately lose your dat - when you do things to it it'll overwrite the old lost stuff.

either connect it onto a machine that already has Windows (or whatever) on it, or install windows on your new drive, then re-connect your old one and try it.

I've had to recover lost files before and you can usually get most of your data back.
Mon 08/04/02 at 13:33
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I had a problem resulting from some IBM software confusing my old drive with the one I had jsut installed. The IBM software kindly formatted my old drive for me and the left the empty one untouched and unusable.

I ran a system restore in a vain effort to salvage my files but failed. I've not touched the disk since, and was wondering what I could do to salvage the data off it..

Thanking you muchly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.