GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I Want To Be A Monster"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/04/02 at 09:06
Regular
Every Survival Horror game puts you (the player) into the boots of a vulnerable(ish) man or woman who finds him or herself (for whatever reason) battling against hoards of monstrosities hellbent of murder.
....And even though the Survival Horror genre has recently been over-flooded with samey and mediocre titles, when done well, this style of game is very popular, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But Survival Horror has reached a crossroads: "more of the same" is now not really acceptable or desired.
The genre has reached stagnation point - it's time for a rethink.

So how do you give the Survival Horror genre a much needed facelift?
How should the now all-too-familiar structure of Survival Horror games evolve?

The answer is simple: YOU PLACE THE PLAYER IN THE ROLE OF A MONSTER.
....Or a ghost, or whatever the festering and lurking evil happens to be.

The main object of the game would STILL be to "survive", it's just that this way your enemies would be intelligent humans armed with powerful weapons instead of bumbling zombies armed only with an irrational bloodlust.

Personally I would like to see the player take the form of a shape-shifting creature.
Perhaps soliders have sealed off a large area, and you (being the monster) would have to escape from this heavily guarded zone alive.
Being a shape-shifting monster, many guises and attack methods would be available to you.
Perhaps you could possess different life-forms and attain their abilities and characteristics for a limited time.
I think it would be really refreshing if YOU were the one who was responsible for causing all the gruesome slaughter and random bloodshed.

I have tried to think of a game which puts the player in this role, and I can't.
So it's original, and it's so so obvious.

Many people are getting excited about the new Resident Evil game coming to the GameCube, but let's face it, the sun is setting on Resident Evil and games of that ilk - they have had their day.
It's time for the Survival Horror genre to evolve, and placing the player in the role of a monster whose sole purpose would be to stay alive and escape at any cost is the obvious next step.
Sat 13/04/02 at 16:05
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
> I'd just like to make a comment on two things:
> 1) The excellent idea
> 2) The exquisitness of the post

Cheers Shocktrooper, that's kind of you to say that.
Oh, and thanks to SR also.
Sat 13/04/02 at 14:07
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Shocktrooper wrote:
> I'd just like to make a comment on two things:
>
> 1) The excellent idea
> 2) The exquisitness of the post
>
> Congrats!

Thumbs up!
Fri 12/04/02 at 22:46
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I'd just like to make a comment on two things:

1) The excellent idea
2) The exquisitness of the post

Congrats!
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:49
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> *makes notes*
I like this idea too.

-----

Take it. It's yours.
If one day you can turn it into a great game, I'll be happy.

*Secretly informs lawyers of impending lawsuit*
Wed 10/04/02 at 18:00
There already is a game like this!

PLANETSCAPE: TORMENT
Wed 10/04/02 at 16:05
Regular
I like this idea too.

Survival horror has been boring me a bit recently and this change of roles would be something new.
Tue 09/04/02 at 08:13
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:
>Like the man says in his first post, what if you were
like The Thing, and could take on the form of anything which you had encountered. It would add a real tactical edge to it, that you simply couldn't have as a human character.
>Wise choices of who to look like could have you gain access to other areas, a poor choice could have you discovered, so you'd have to fight for your life until you had the opportunity to take on another form.

------

That just about sums up the gameplay of the idea.
It would still be "Survival Horror", yet from a new perspective.
Mon 08/04/02 at 20:30
Regular
You could cause a real stirr by engineering the storyline so you're a trapped alien who just wants to get back to your spaceship and go home.

The soldiers are nasty ruthless troopers who will shoot at you and try to kill you at every opportunity, and the only way to escape is to get into the heart of their base to where they've stolen your spaceship.

Your friends have been captured, killed and disected and you need to escape this terrible planet using all your wits.

If you could get the player to have feelings for the gruesome monster and hate the "hansome" soldiers, that would certainly impress (not to mention the creativity of what this monster/alien would be doing like camoflage etc...)
Mon 08/04/02 at 14:18
Regular
*makes notes*

I like this idea too.
Mon 08/04/02 at 11:45
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I like this idea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.