GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Shark Attack Deathmatch (Xbox Live Indie Games)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/04/14 at 09:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Do you like sharks?, do you enjoy the odd deathmatch?, do you fancy a bargain? If so then read on as this may just be of interest... Shark Attack Deathmatch is an underwater first person shooter available from the Xbox Live Indie Games network. While it may not offer much you probably haven't seen somewhere before it is actually a fun little title which incorporates some great ideas and it costs just 69p!

As the game begins you are given a few selections, these include choosing the game mode in which you wish to play as well as a rather soothing underwater screensaver set to tranquil music (if that interests you at all!). The game modes are quite simple, there is a 4 player online only free for all style deathmatch (with sharks of course!) as well as a single player survival mode where you simply have to kill as many sharks as possible within the allocated time period. Sounds straight forward enough doesn't it...?

The survival mode gives you a choice to take on either normal or zombie sharks! Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water even the great white's of the undead seem to want a piece of you! The zombie sharks do look cool to be fair, with their rotting flesh and visible rib cages, if Lucio Fulci had designed a video game character then I reckon this is pretty much what it would have looked like! However, in terms of gameplay there seems very little to choose between normal & zombified sharks other than graphical appearance. The only real difference is that they are played on different maps. Armed with a harpoon and knife as well as a flash flare for blinding unfriendlies (as well as yourself if used incorrectly!) you set off to take out as many sharks as possible within the allocated 10 minute period, if you die the clock resets. Add into the mix depleting oxygen and health (both can be replenished by picking up supplies located around the maps) and this mode is challenging and quite a bit more difficult than you may think.

The main game though is the 4 player deathmatch mode which when played with a few friends really is a surprising amount of fun. Both of the 2 maps are small and any attempt to stray outside of the designated 'combat zone' will result in rapid depletion of your oxygen supply. The thing is no one seems to have informed the sharks!, they seem to be able to swim happily wherever the hell they want, oblivious to any such restrictions! Both of these maps are really well designed with locations such as a sunken ship, caves, relics and a crashed aeroplane offering places to lurk hoping to bag a sneaky shot of one of your opponents as they unwittingly swim by. You can't stay in there for too long though as your oxygen supply will run out, this is not a game for campers. The sharks circulate throughout the combat area during deathmatches and although they can be killed no points are awarded for doing so. The aim of this mode is simply to get the best kill/death ratio. XP is awarded after matches although there is no real benefit for 'levelling up' other than seeing the number next to your character increase. Injuring opponents makes them bleed and blood draws in the sharks... It is actually quite amusing to see a long distance harpoon shootout end with a shark zooming in and stealing your kill! The basic gameplay is simple and while it may not 're-invent the wheel' it does throw in some really good ideas which did bring a smile to my face. There is the facility to turn the sharks off for the deathmatch games but what would be the point of that? Why would anyone buy a game called Shark Attack Deathmatch to turn off the sharks?, that would be like going to a Slayer concert and asking them to play a bit slower....and more quietly!

On technical side the game is shockingly good for an Xbox Live Indie title, the graphics really are pretty decent. The sea bed and lighting effects in particular are really impressive for a title of this kind. The murky waters on the Pearl Of Atlantis map work superbly as you never really know who or what may be lurking just beyond your range of vision... On the audio front the sharp loud orchestral bursts which play during the shark attack moments work really well, especially when playing the game wearing headphones! Also the ever so slightly John Williams-esque menu music is a nice touch, it's over the top with its tongue wedged firmly in its cheek.

There are a few elements of this game which I really did find fun, mainly because this game never appears to take itself all that seriously. As the loud blast of music leaps from your speakers and your screen turns blood red you are greeted with the message that 'you have just been MURDERED by sharks!' I was always under the impression that these magnificent creatures were the misunderstood beasts of the ocean which generally don't kill us lovely humans intentionally. Well these monsters certainly don't fall into this category, these sea demons are the most ferocious killing machines you will ever have the misfortune to encounter. After playing this game you are going to wish you had a bigger boat and probably that you were still onboard (rather than underneath) it! I also really liked the underwater mechanics of the game, which make it slightly more difficult to manoeuvre and aim your weapon than you will be used to in a game of this kind. It's the same for everyone though and with a low rate of fire from the harpoons there are some really fun moments to be had during deathmatch games, particularly when shootouts involve more than a couple of players.

There are a couple of very minor quibbles I could mention with this game, one is that the crosshair disappears when aiming meaning it is actually easier to shoot your harpoon 'from the hip'. Also there is no way to customise your combat diver (other than changing bits of colour), a few other options would not have gone amiss in my view. But these really are not massive issues, particularly with a game that costs the same as a bar of chocolate. I actually wondered if I should be mentioning them at all to be honest. Also the game does get repetitive pretty quickly but I would be amazed if you had not had so much more than your 69p's worth of entertainment before tiring of it.

Due to this being such a low cost game I find it quite hard to really award it a score. All I will say is get 3 of your friends on it at the same time and I totally guarantee you will get more than your moneys worth. I believe the developers of this game are currently campaigning to get a PC version up for sale on the Steam network, anyone interested should head over to their Facebook page for more details. After all, who the hell wouldn't want a game like Shark Attack Deathmatch in their collection?!!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 25/04/14 at 09:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Do you like sharks?, do you enjoy the odd deathmatch?, do you fancy a bargain? If so then read on as this may just be of interest... Shark Attack Deathmatch is an underwater first person shooter available from the Xbox Live Indie Games network. While it may not offer much you probably haven't seen somewhere before it is actually a fun little title which incorporates some great ideas and it costs just 69p!

As the game begins you are given a few selections, these include choosing the game mode in which you wish to play as well as a rather soothing underwater screensaver set to tranquil music (if that interests you at all!). The game modes are quite simple, there is a 4 player online only free for all style deathmatch (with sharks of course!) as well as a single player survival mode where you simply have to kill as many sharks as possible within the allocated time period. Sounds straight forward enough doesn't it...?

The survival mode gives you a choice to take on either normal or zombie sharks! Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water even the great white's of the undead seem to want a piece of you! The zombie sharks do look cool to be fair, with their rotting flesh and visible rib cages, if Lucio Fulci had designed a video game character then I reckon this is pretty much what it would have looked like! However, in terms of gameplay there seems very little to choose between normal & zombified sharks other than graphical appearance. The only real difference is that they are played on different maps. Armed with a harpoon and knife as well as a flash flare for blinding unfriendlies (as well as yourself if used incorrectly!) you set off to take out as many sharks as possible within the allocated 10 minute period, if you die the clock resets. Add into the mix depleting oxygen and health (both can be replenished by picking up supplies located around the maps) and this mode is challenging and quite a bit more difficult than you may think.

The main game though is the 4 player deathmatch mode which when played with a few friends really is a surprising amount of fun. Both of the 2 maps are small and any attempt to stray outside of the designated 'combat zone' will result in rapid depletion of your oxygen supply. The thing is no one seems to have informed the sharks!, they seem to be able to swim happily wherever the hell they want, oblivious to any such restrictions! Both of these maps are really well designed with locations such as a sunken ship, caves, relics and a crashed aeroplane offering places to lurk hoping to bag a sneaky shot of one of your opponents as they unwittingly swim by. You can't stay in there for too long though as your oxygen supply will run out, this is not a game for campers. The sharks circulate throughout the combat area during deathmatches and although they can be killed no points are awarded for doing so. The aim of this mode is simply to get the best kill/death ratio. XP is awarded after matches although there is no real benefit for 'levelling up' other than seeing the number next to your character increase. Injuring opponents makes them bleed and blood draws in the sharks... It is actually quite amusing to see a long distance harpoon shootout end with a shark zooming in and stealing your kill! The basic gameplay is simple and while it may not 're-invent the wheel' it does throw in some really good ideas which did bring a smile to my face. There is the facility to turn the sharks off for the deathmatch games but what would be the point of that? Why would anyone buy a game called Shark Attack Deathmatch to turn off the sharks?, that would be like going to a Slayer concert and asking them to play a bit slower....and more quietly!

On technical side the game is shockingly good for an Xbox Live Indie title, the graphics really are pretty decent. The sea bed and lighting effects in particular are really impressive for a title of this kind. The murky waters on the Pearl Of Atlantis map work superbly as you never really know who or what may be lurking just beyond your range of vision... On the audio front the sharp loud orchestral bursts which play during the shark attack moments work really well, especially when playing the game wearing headphones! Also the ever so slightly John Williams-esque menu music is a nice touch, it's over the top with its tongue wedged firmly in its cheek.

There are a few elements of this game which I really did find fun, mainly because this game never appears to take itself all that seriously. As the loud blast of music leaps from your speakers and your screen turns blood red you are greeted with the message that 'you have just been MURDERED by sharks!' I was always under the impression that these magnificent creatures were the misunderstood beasts of the ocean which generally don't kill us lovely humans intentionally. Well these monsters certainly don't fall into this category, these sea demons are the most ferocious killing machines you will ever have the misfortune to encounter. After playing this game you are going to wish you had a bigger boat and probably that you were still onboard (rather than underneath) it! I also really liked the underwater mechanics of the game, which make it slightly more difficult to manoeuvre and aim your weapon than you will be used to in a game of this kind. It's the same for everyone though and with a low rate of fire from the harpoons there are some really fun moments to be had during deathmatch games, particularly when shootouts involve more than a couple of players.

There are a couple of very minor quibbles I could mention with this game, one is that the crosshair disappears when aiming meaning it is actually easier to shoot your harpoon 'from the hip'. Also there is no way to customise your combat diver (other than changing bits of colour), a few other options would not have gone amiss in my view. But these really are not massive issues, particularly with a game that costs the same as a bar of chocolate. I actually wondered if I should be mentioning them at all to be honest. Also the game does get repetitive pretty quickly but I would be amazed if you had not had so much more than your 69p's worth of entertainment before tiring of it.

Due to this being such a low cost game I find it quite hard to really award it a score. All I will say is get 3 of your friends on it at the same time and I totally guarantee you will get more than your moneys worth. I believe the developers of this game are currently campaigning to get a PC version up for sale on the Steam network, anyone interested should head over to their Facebook page for more details. After all, who the hell wouldn't want a game like Shark Attack Deathmatch in their collection?!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.