GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Nintendo 3DS"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/14 at 19:28
Regular
"Braaains"
As crossovers go, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is a bit of a random one - they both appear on the 3DS, and they both feature fairly convoluted storylines, but that's where the similarities end. Yet someone in Japan decided it was worth chucking the two together to create a 3DS game that features both the puzzle-solving antics of the Layton series and the legal shenanigans of the Ace Attorney series. And you know what? It's actually pretty good.

The game takes place in the land of Labyrinthia, where Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright and their respective sidekick find themselves after a mishap with a magical book. Magic is a real thing in this world, which adds an extra element to the mix, as are witches. Though the game is thankfully devoid of the action-arcade sequences that cropped up in the last couple of games. Contrary to some reviews, the game isn't just split into Ace Attorney and Professor Layton chapters. While Phoenix Wright does end up running the court sections, there are only four trials in the game's twelve or so chapters so you get to run around solving puzzles as both Layton and Wright.

And there are plenty of puzzles to be had - though unusually, this game doesn't force you to complete a certain number before you can progress, presumably in an attempt to avoid annoying Ace Attorney fans. Similarly, you can use hint coins during the trial sections, where you have to figure out who is telling lies and prove your client's innocence. Granted, this isn't exactly a hardcore legal simulator but it's still fun to point out someone's porkies and get to the truth.

Getting to the complete truth, however, will take you a good thirteen hours or so, since Layton Vs Wright is a rather long game. It is however, hugely enjoyable, not only because the puzzles are both challening and entertaining, but also because the plot's so full of twists. Admittedly, the game's big revelation means that some of the earlier developments don't quite make sense, but I can live with that. The graphics are also excellent, with the characters being rendered in 3D, without losing the charm of the earlier 2D animated games.

So, it's all good? From my perspective, yes, since I'm a huge fan of the Ace Attorney series and sort of like the Layton games. I suspect, however, some hardcore Layton fans will be put off by the courtoom sections, so be warned. If, however, you are just looking for a great, challenging and charming adventure, then Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright is well worth picking up.

Pros:
It's got a great storyline.
The graphics are pretty good.
The puzzles are entertaining without being annoying.

Cons:
The courtroom sections might put some hardcore Layton fans off.

Score: 8 out of 10.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 07/04/14 at 19:28
Regular
"Braaains"
As crossovers go, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is a bit of a random one - they both appear on the 3DS, and they both feature fairly convoluted storylines, but that's where the similarities end. Yet someone in Japan decided it was worth chucking the two together to create a 3DS game that features both the puzzle-solving antics of the Layton series and the legal shenanigans of the Ace Attorney series. And you know what? It's actually pretty good.

The game takes place in the land of Labyrinthia, where Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright and their respective sidekick find themselves after a mishap with a magical book. Magic is a real thing in this world, which adds an extra element to the mix, as are witches. Though the game is thankfully devoid of the action-arcade sequences that cropped up in the last couple of games. Contrary to some reviews, the game isn't just split into Ace Attorney and Professor Layton chapters. While Phoenix Wright does end up running the court sections, there are only four trials in the game's twelve or so chapters so you get to run around solving puzzles as both Layton and Wright.

And there are plenty of puzzles to be had - though unusually, this game doesn't force you to complete a certain number before you can progress, presumably in an attempt to avoid annoying Ace Attorney fans. Similarly, you can use hint coins during the trial sections, where you have to figure out who is telling lies and prove your client's innocence. Granted, this isn't exactly a hardcore legal simulator but it's still fun to point out someone's porkies and get to the truth.

Getting to the complete truth, however, will take you a good thirteen hours or so, since Layton Vs Wright is a rather long game. It is however, hugely enjoyable, not only because the puzzles are both challening and entertaining, but also because the plot's so full of twists. Admittedly, the game's big revelation means that some of the earlier developments don't quite make sense, but I can live with that. The graphics are also excellent, with the characters being rendered in 3D, without losing the charm of the earlier 2D animated games.

So, it's all good? From my perspective, yes, since I'm a huge fan of the Ace Attorney series and sort of like the Layton games. I suspect, however, some hardcore Layton fans will be put off by the courtoom sections, so be warned. If, however, you are just looking for a great, challenging and charming adventure, then Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright is well worth picking up.

Pros:
It's got a great storyline.
The graphics are pretty good.
The puzzles are entertaining without being annoying.

Cons:
The courtroom sections might put some hardcore Layton fans off.

Score: 8 out of 10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.