GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What the hell's going on?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/12/07 at 13:37
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
All of a sudden, starting from the beginning of today, several problems have cropped up. Could any of you help me out with (some of) them please?

1. My mum's computer has been making a terrible racket for a long time, so seeing as I've just replaced my power supply on my PC, I let her have my old one. Nothing inside either computer has changed, except the PSUs obviously. So why is it that my mum's PC will now not start? Well, it will, but it'll just carry on in a loop - no display on-screen, the DVD drive will spin up, then stop, then the hard drive will work for a bit, then stop, then the DVD drive again...

It makes no sense because I didn't touch any data cables - they remained in the computer the whole time and were never disconnected. And there was nothing wrong with the PSU I put in - the reason for me replacing it is because it isn't powerful enough to run the graphics card I want.

2. As from today, my TomTom ONE v2 won't start. Why? The green light on top comes on when it's charging.

3. Central heating also isn't working all of a sudden. Nothing's changed. What's up?

Many thanks all. :)
Fri 07/12/07 at 17:32
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Eccles wrote:
> 1. Common mistake, have you plugged in the P4 4 pin power
> connector in addition to the 20 pin ATX power connector? Or, if
> it's a PCI Express based board, does it have a 24 pin power
> socket and does the PSU only have a 20 pin connector?
>
> The 'racket' could have been the bearings in the CPU cooling
> fan. If these have failed then the fan won't spin. The BIOS will
> probably detect this and shut the board down a few seconds after
> powering on.
>
> Could just be lack of power. Does the replacement PSU output the
> same or higher amount of power?

Oh how stupid of me! I could see that the 4-pin connector was not connected, but I swear that one wasn't plugged in on the old PSU. Maybe it was. *shrug* Took me a long time to locate that connector though. However, a problem still exists which has been present for aaaaaaaages, but my mum doesn't complain about as long as the computer starts: it'll sit there for ages doing that loop as I described earlier with the drives, then after approximately 5 minutes it'll boot to the POST screens, but won't get any further. Then we have to press the Reset button on the front to get it to boot fully to the OS. If we use the Power button instead, it'll start the loop all over again. Never been able to figure out that problem.

> 2. You probably need to reset the TomTom. There is a recessed
> reset button on the bottom of the unit, use a pin or something
> to press it and the unit should reset and it should power on.

Yeah, that's what the TomTom site said. If only I had a paperclip... I do have a reset pin somewhere, which is specifically for resetting stuff with that hole, but I can't find it.

> 3. Oil fired? Run out of fuel? Call a heating engineer?

Gas fired. Mum rang up British Gas earlier and they said they'd be over tomorrow to mess with it. We'd better not have to pay though, otherwise I'll get myself involved. We've been paying for an manual boiler service for the past ten years. One month ago was the first time the boiler has ever been opened.
Fri 07/12/07 at 16:15
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
1. Common mistake, have you plugged in the P4 4 pin power connector in addition to the 20 pin ATX power connector? Or, if it's a PCI Express based board, does it have a 24 pin power socket and does the PSU only have a 20 pin connector?

The 'racket' could have been the bearings in the CPU cooling fan. If these have failed then the fan won't spin. The BIOS will probably detect this and shut the board down a few seconds after powering on.

Could just be lack of power. Does the replacement PSU output the same or higher amount of power?

2. You probably need to reset the TomTom. There is a recessed reset button on the bottom of the unit, use a pin or something to press it and the unit should reset and it should power on.

3. Oil fired? Run out of fuel? Call a heating engineer?
Fri 07/12/07 at 13:37
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
All of a sudden, starting from the beginning of today, several problems have cropped up. Could any of you help me out with (some of) them please?

1. My mum's computer has been making a terrible racket for a long time, so seeing as I've just replaced my power supply on my PC, I let her have my old one. Nothing inside either computer has changed, except the PSUs obviously. So why is it that my mum's PC will now not start? Well, it will, but it'll just carry on in a loop - no display on-screen, the DVD drive will spin up, then stop, then the hard drive will work for a bit, then stop, then the DVD drive again...

It makes no sense because I didn't touch any data cables - they remained in the computer the whole time and were never disconnected. And there was nothing wrong with the PSU I put in - the reason for me replacing it is because it isn't powerful enough to run the graphics card I want.

2. As from today, my TomTom ONE v2 won't start. Why? The green light on top comes on when it's charging.

3. Central heating also isn't working all of a sudden. Nothing's changed. What's up?

Many thanks all. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.