GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you think they'll stick a battery in the xbox eventually?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/04/02 at 15:53
Regular
I'm not too keen on having to constantly keep setting the time on the xbox and don't really want to leave it permantly connected to the mains to avoid this.

I just wonder if later xboxes will sort this out as although its a change of spec it doesn't have any effect on the games.

It seems to me Microsoft have done this to stop people repeatedly moving the console about and perhaps risking the hard drive getting a few knocks when its moved. I would guess they want the xbox permantly setup next to the tv and left connected however for multiple console owners like myself thats just not realistic.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:29
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Why do people unplug them? Not only do my consoles sit under the TV all the
> time, but why don't you just treat the xbox as a VCR?

Oh, and as for the
> power surge thing... there is no point leaving things unplugged when you go on
> holiday- the power surge will happen if you are there or not! Ususally they're a
> result of lightening strikes (apparantly broaband modems suffer very badly at
> lightening's hands).

well duh they will happen whether u unplug yr equipment or not, but unpulggin yr equipment means it won't be damaged by the surge!!! please try and think thoings through before you post next time
Mon 08/04/02 at 13:09
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
To be honest, I think a few people are making too big a deal about something that really isn't all that important.

I always keep my console plugged in. I've had to do the clock again a couple of times after taking the console to a friends house and plus I had a power cut yesterday, but it must have taken 1 minute at most to put back to normal.

Hardly a life wasting chore. ;-))
Mon 08/04/02 at 10:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Franny wrote:
All I can say on that point is
> that Microsoft clearly thought it over the top to put a CMOS battery in to keep
> time for those who unplug their consoles.
> However, where does it get that sneaky power from to keep the battery going?

But the Xbox doesnt have a battery full stop. Microsoft realised that having a battery in the Xbox wouldnt be any good it would work. Xbox has alot of power going through its components inside, a battery couldnt cope with all the drain from the Xbox once it was turned off. VCRs and other appliances that have alot of power going through them use capacitors.

Its not an over thought by Microsoft, they didnt include a battery to make so people had to keep there consoles plugged in they didnt include one because it was technically impossiable.

I think they talk about this on the Official Xbox magazines issue 1 demo disk.
Mon 08/04/02 at 07:52
OK, you are talking about a CMOS backup battery I take it, one that saves the functionality of the BIOS on power down. I accept this should have been included in the XBox's artillary. However, it's not like a PC to the extent that the entire BIOS is wiped, most is stored in ROM. The only thing that is affected, as mentioned, is the clock settings.

All I can say on that point is that Microsoft clearly thought it over the top to put a CMOS battery in to keep time for those who unplug their consoles. Rightly so. There is absolutelty no need to be unplugging your console, and as someone said, treat it like a VCR. Why are you so reluctant to leave it plugged in?

On a lighter note, isn't the XBox sneaky? It makes no indication that it is using any power whatsoever on the console, so one may be forgiven for thinking that it is truly switched off. However, where does it get that sneaky power from to keep the battery going?
Sun 07/04/02 at 23:43
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Why do people unplug them?

Must be like the people who always salute a magpie, or like the people who think it's bad luck to open an umbrella indoors.
Sun 07/04/02 at 23:40
Regular
adrian wrote:
> DC. The DC has a limit as if its unplugged for about 2 weeks it resets its self,
> while the PS2 is like a PC, it always keeps the time.

Doesn't a PC only keep the time via a battery on the motherboard? Leave a PC disconnected for long enough and that will run out too.

That's why you have to replace old batteries every few years else your BIOS resets every time you turn off the PC.
Sun 07/04/02 at 22:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Why do people unplug them? Not only do my consoles sit under the TV all the time, but why don't you just treat the xbox as a VCR?

Oh, and as for the power surge thing... there is no point leaving things unplugged when you go on holiday- the power surge will happen if you are there or not! Ususally they're a result of lightening strikes (apparantly broaband modems suffer very badly at lightening's hands).

Sonic
Sun 07/04/02 at 22:39
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
30111987 wrote:
Well the
> dreamcast has a battery and it's a gamesconsole!

Yes and the PS2 also has a battery that doesnt run out like the DC. The DC has a limit as if its unplugged for about 2 weeks it resets its self, while the PS2 is like a PC, it always keeps the time.

The Xbox has components that use more power e.t.c. when not in use, or something to that effect. Using a battery like the PS2 or PC has wouldnt work as the battery would lose all of its power quite quickly. The Xbox uses a capacitor so that if plug in it will by like a VCR. But unplugged it will lose all settings.

The DC battery is also probably different to that of a PS2 and PC. A DC battery is recharged which would suggest it isnt the R type batteries(round ones), which is what is in the PS2 and PC.

I normally unplug my consoles after using them, but with Xbox I leave it plugged in all the time. Its no bother really.
Sun 07/04/02 at 21:52
Why dont you get a triple adapter with antisurge technology in it??
Sun 07/04/02 at 21:12
Regular
"lifes a game"
adrian wrote:
> The Xbox cant have a battery in it because its too powerful and would eat up all
> the battery power straight away. Does a VCR have a battery? No it has a
> capacitor which the Xbox also has. This means that once its on it can remember
> the time, but leave it unplugged for any long amounts of time and it forgets the
> time, just like VCR does.

Well the dreamcast has a battery and it's a gamesconsole!
I always unplug my games consoles at night and when im on holiday, because the last time i left my hi-fi plugged in when i was away i returned only to find there had been a powersurge and the insides had been blown up:(
I'm sure if enough people complain new versions off the x-box will have batteries in them so they can remember the time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.