GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TO Xbox or not to Xbox, this is the question"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/04/02 at 13:26
Regular
Well first of all lets start with I got mine from Special Reserve on the release date (March 14th) (wow that seems so long ago now :) )

So should we all go and purchase one, or should we stick with the PS2 or even wait for the Gamecube to peep over the top of the stack of consoles to choose from.

Well.....

Having played on the PS2 and Xbox and Dreamcast (even the Saturn, lets not dwell on that :) ), I find the Xbox to be a interesting departure from normal consoles, and i dont mean cos its like a PC, cos its really like nothing.

Ok granted it has both console and PC likeness to it, but this can't be a bad thing can it. The best business men take the best of everything to make one great product and thankfully the Xbox has impressed me alot.

First game I tried was Dead or Alive 3, wow was my initial thought but then I noticed that the actuall faces didnt seem to be that tweaked unlike everything else in the game. This aside the game is a must if you like beat em ups.

Next the lovely much hyped Halo. Is it better then Half Life?

Well Yes and No. Half Life was a great game witha great story line. Halo has a nice story line if very similar to Half Life, but the difference which makes Halo better is the fact you want to play and play and play again and again, and after all of that, get DOlby Digital and play the game all over again.

Next comes games like NHL 2002 and F1 2002, all very good with FSAA all over the place. Never buy a EA Sports game for the PC again after seeing the speed and quality of the Xbox versions. The shear speed and niceness posseses you from the off.

And finally Project Gotham Racing, amazing looking cars but slightly flat buildings, but thankfully the gameplay makes up for the lack of overall graphics quality.

So initial impressions of the Xbox:

Great, but im looking forward to seeing future games for the beast as I still feel the raw power hasnt been expoited to its best. Theres so much in the thing that you wonder what games are possible with such power available.

Expect to see better AI in games and of course even more use of Pixel Shaders.

I am a satisfied customer and hope you all get a taste of this pleasure from the Microsoft Xbox.
Mon 08/04/02 at 11:00
Regular
"Play more sleep les"
Only time will tell what will happen to the Xbox. Microsoft have invested a lot of money in promoting the Xbox and many companies already have big releases in production for Xbox and have shown their support for the console. Whilst the Xbox may not have done very well in Japan on launch day, we have to remember that the Xbox did not originate in Japan, as is usually the case with many of today's new consoles. I think a lot of people in Europe are waiting for the release of the gamecube before deciding where to put their money. There is a lot of choice available at the moment, and Xbox has the disadvantage of being the most expensive new console. We may also have seen different results if the console was released later in the year but the fact remains that the Xbox is one extremely powerful piece of kit and is also still very young. The PS2 has been around for some time now, and the public have put their faith in Sony after seeing the soaring success of the console. Ultimately, it depends on the games. Conpanies refusing to give official statements does not help matters and if rival console manufacturers are paying games companies to produce for their console then not only is this unfair, but we can also see that the Xbox is actually proving to be a threat to other consoles. All we - the consumer, can do is sit back and wait
Mon 08/04/02 at 00:55
Regular
"accidental superher"
looking at all the negative news i am quite worried about the xbox now....i just REALLY HOPE that microsoft don't do a sega and stop manufacturing cos then all the develpors will pull out and cancel the games....the future looks bleak i have to say
Sun 07/04/02 at 15:49
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Cery good points, the fact that the Xbox has Pixel Shading should make the Playstation 2 and Gamecube hide for cover.

I agree about the next generation of games having better potential, but if this is the initial lineup, well we are in for a real treat.
Sun 07/04/02 at 14:03
Regular
You have to remembed these games were lauch games.

As time goes by developers learn how to get the best out of the hardware they're given.

Look at the Ridge Racer series on PS1.

Look at the difference between Daytona and Sega Rally on Saturn.

It's only now that PS2 games are actually starting to look decent, though admittedly they're still no-where near what Sony claimed was possible.

X-box games will get nicer and nicer too, though the possibility for growth is larger because the console is that much more powerful.

Also remember that it has a fully customisable graphics chip. This means that although there is going to be a polygon count limitation (though it's very high of course), the effects used in games will be limitless, determined only by the imagination of developers.

You won't get that on the PS2. That's just an over-hyped bit of plastic anyway. I cannot justify the popularity of this console at all - the Dreamcast deserved to win that battle when it comes down to quality of games, and there isn't that much difference in power between the two consoles.

By the way, anyone seen the state of Max Payne on PS2? See the blockiness? Notice the slowdown? Funny to see that coming from a console that is supposed to be so all-powerful that it even handles the emotions of characters. Is there any in-game grass? Hair? Air? No, yet all these are things Sony said was possible.

I laugh at PS2 owners - you've all been had big-style.
Sun 07/04/02 at 13:26
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Well first of all lets start with I got mine from Special Reserve on the release date (March 14th) (wow that seems so long ago now :) )

So should we all go and purchase one, or should we stick with the PS2 or even wait for the Gamecube to peep over the top of the stack of consoles to choose from.

Well.....

Having played on the PS2 and Xbox and Dreamcast (even the Saturn, lets not dwell on that :) ), I find the Xbox to be a interesting departure from normal consoles, and i dont mean cos its like a PC, cos its really like nothing.

Ok granted it has both console and PC likeness to it, but this can't be a bad thing can it. The best business men take the best of everything to make one great product and thankfully the Xbox has impressed me alot.

First game I tried was Dead or Alive 3, wow was my initial thought but then I noticed that the actuall faces didnt seem to be that tweaked unlike everything else in the game. This aside the game is a must if you like beat em ups.

Next the lovely much hyped Halo. Is it better then Half Life?

Well Yes and No. Half Life was a great game witha great story line. Halo has a nice story line if very similar to Half Life, but the difference which makes Halo better is the fact you want to play and play and play again and again, and after all of that, get DOlby Digital and play the game all over again.

Next comes games like NHL 2002 and F1 2002, all very good with FSAA all over the place. Never buy a EA Sports game for the PC again after seeing the speed and quality of the Xbox versions. The shear speed and niceness posseses you from the off.

And finally Project Gotham Racing, amazing looking cars but slightly flat buildings, but thankfully the gameplay makes up for the lack of overall graphics quality.

So initial impressions of the Xbox:

Great, but im looking forward to seeing future games for the beast as I still feel the raw power hasnt been expoited to its best. Theres so much in the thing that you wonder what games are possible with such power available.

Expect to see better AI in games and of course even more use of Pixel Shaders.

I am a satisfied customer and hope you all get a taste of this pleasure from the Microsoft Xbox.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.