GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Irrational games closure"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/02/14 at 05:01
Regular
"Straight UP"
Here is the link to the announcement .

If like me you quite liked the Bioshock games, its a bit of a surprise that they have closed like this. Bioshock Infinite supposedly sold 4 million copies, yet this was not enough to save the studio, kind of makes you wonder what is going to happen to games in the future if that sort of success is not enough.

Do you think that this could be the end on AAA titles?
Or did the industry just got too big?

We've seen a lot of good developers close down their studios the last few years. Its a bit of a worry really don't you think.
Sun 23/02/14 at 11:53
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
4 million was about half what Bioshock Infinite needed to sell in order to turn a profit.

Irrational are not the only company out there that "speculate" when it comes to gaming ventures. Ubisoft are renowned for over- investing in their top titles. For example, the Assassin's Creed franchise HAD to be good for at least four games in order for the initial development cost to be covered.

It's a pity to see Irrational dissolved like this, but Levine will still be making games (and waves!) I'm sure.
Wed 19/02/14 at 21:22
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Bioshock 2 was done by 2k Marin. Might explain why its a better game than the first one. :)
Wed 19/02/14 at 19:48
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Bioshock2?

But you've got a point their Garin
Wed 19/02/14 at 18:27
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think Irrational is a unique case rather than part of any trend. If you look at the basic facts they don't make for very good reading. Bioshock was released in 2007. 6 years and hundreds of millions of dollars later they release Bioshock Infinite which at the moment has done sales roughly the same as the original. I didn't realise they'd not release anything else since Bioshock. The surprising point is that 2K let it go on so long.
Wed 19/02/14 at 05:01
Regular
"Straight UP"
Here is the link to the announcement .

If like me you quite liked the Bioshock games, its a bit of a surprise that they have closed like this. Bioshock Infinite supposedly sold 4 million copies, yet this was not enough to save the studio, kind of makes you wonder what is going to happen to games in the future if that sort of success is not enough.

Do you think that this could be the end on AAA titles?
Or did the industry just got too big?

We've seen a lot of good developers close down their studios the last few years. Its a bit of a worry really don't you think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.