GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola FORM spam - using the Freeola script."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/08/06 at 11:30
Regular
Hello - this query regards Freeola's form_to_mail.php

Recently one of my sites has started to receive was is commonly referred to as FORM spam. This is where someone malicious has found my contact FORM and started to use the script to generate spam.

I only receive the 1 email each time they target me (as if someone had filled in my feedback FORM), but reading up about 'FORM spam' I see people use it to 'inject' many, many BCC email addresses, so it's possible that each time I see 1 email 1000's are being sent!

I believe that only emails from Freeola domains can be used with your script (haven't tested this myself), can you please confirm that your script is safe from this form of abuse?

Obviously I don't want it to look as if my website is producing spam to the outside world, and I'm sure Freeola won't want their mail servers abused either.

Many Thanks.
Sat 30/12/06 at 23:30
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Any chance Freeola users could set a default address in the Freeola control panel for this script to use, rather than add it as a hidden field?
Thu 28/12/06 at 11:00
Regular
I've just double checked the script out and I don't think there is any problem. The script only sends e-mails to the address listed in the hidden field on the page. I just tried setting this to a non-Freeola address and the script alerts and will not allow it to be sent.

The most likely situation is as you've stated some bot is spamming you using the form script online. We are looking into other ideas like security images to try and remove this issue but I'm afraid I do not have a time frame at present.
Sun 24/12/06 at 15:52
Regular
BW20 wrote:
> The script is based on Jack's Formmail but has been modified. We
> are reasonably sure that it is not vulnerable to this attack as
> the e-mails are sent through our smtp servers and not directly
> from the web server.
>
> However as the script was written a while ago, we will double
> check this with our technical team and post back when we find
> out.

I'm aware of the recent 'form_mail' problems, and wondered if Freeola have checked their script incase it's being used to produce spam - BW20 reported this was going to take place a while back but this thread hasn't been updated with the outcome. If the script is being hijacked to produce spam it may explain the recent problems?

I've had some strange emails from one of my site's 'form_mail' scripts today. Instead of the normal subject and from address which would normally always be the name taken from my site's code - these emails show the from address to be: [email protected] and the content in the note is spam from a Russian address.

Thanks in advance.
Thu 10/08/06 at 16:36
Regular
"incognito"
The script is based on Jack's Formmail but has been modified. We are reasonably sure that it is not vulnerable to this attack as the e-mails are sent through our smtp servers and not directly from the web server.

However as the script was written a while ago, we will double check this with our technical team and post back when we find out.
Thu 10/08/06 at 15:20
Regular
Hi BW20, thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "Our e-mail form does not pass code from any of the fields, it merely copies the data as a whole and e-mails it on to whoever you specified when you set up the form."

From my point of view the data from the each defined field is passed on to the script.

Digging around some more, I see you are actually using Jack's Formmail.php 4.1b - on Jacks Formmail site (the script hasn't been supported for a couple of years) he mentions this under the BCC field:

Field: Bcc
Description: This variable allows you to specify to whom you wish for your form results to be Blind Carbon Copied to. For Multiple Recipients seperate the email addresses with commas.
[B]Due to a storm of problems related to scum abusing peoples formmail.php installations[/B], I now recommend this option to all formmail users.

The most hopeful thing I've read is in your support page for the Formmail, where you state:
"Recipients- Next you will need to set the recipient e-mail address; for anti-spamming reasons this must be an e-mail address hosted on the Freeola servers."

So hopefully this will stop any spam getting out.
But you may like to test this to make sure so that Freeola don't get blacklisted etc.

The spam attack isn't carried out by completing the Form but by directly referencing the script and 'injecting' the BCC data. As the address to formmail on ALL Freeola sites is the same, a spammer doesn't need to find the page using a search engine.

I'm happy if you are, but I thought I would bring this to the attention of Freeola.
Thu 10/08/06 at 14:35
Regular
"incognito"
Our e-mail form does not pass code from any of the fields, it merely copies the data as a whole and e-mails it on to whoever you specified when you set up the form. To the best of our knowledge it is not vulnerable to any attacks as we originally programmed this form ourselves to filter out the common methods used. You will of course still receive the email that they post in the first place.

The forms are found by querying search engines with specific phrases like "contact us" etc. The best way to minimise the amount of attackers who find your form is to place it on a seperate page on your site and then change the Meta Tags so that this page is not indexed in any search engines. That way, no-one will be able to find the form by using a search engine, but it won't effect the rest of your site.
Thu 10/08/06 at 11:30
Regular
Hello - this query regards Freeola's form_to_mail.php

Recently one of my sites has started to receive was is commonly referred to as FORM spam. This is where someone malicious has found my contact FORM and started to use the script to generate spam.

I only receive the 1 email each time they target me (as if someone had filled in my feedback FORM), but reading up about 'FORM spam' I see people use it to 'inject' many, many BCC email addresses, so it's possible that each time I see 1 email 1000's are being sent!

I believe that only emails from Freeola domains can be used with your script (haven't tested this myself), can you please confirm that your script is safe from this form of abuse?

Obviously I don't want it to look as if my website is producing spam to the outside world, and I'm sure Freeola won't want their mail servers abused either.

Many Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.