GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ongoing Internet Issue"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/02/14 at 14:15
Regular
"I like turtles"
I have been experiencing an issue on both of my connections for the last 6 weeks or so. Sometimes everything will run very slowly (did post speedtest example in the quiz thread a couple of weeks ago) or it just seems to hang altogether. Sometimes it is only for short periods of time, others it's for quite a while. It seems to be an issue with our area (not an isolated Freeola problem as other ISP's seem to be effected) with some in our area stating on Twitter & FB that their internet has stopped working altogether. It seems to be only ADSL connections that are effected (FTTC seem fine), could this issue be down to the huge amount of rain we had around here recently? (could that effect things if it gets in junction boxes or something?). For example yesterday I was viewing eBay and pages wouldn't load for about 5 minutes, then it started working again (very slowly) but the pages were only partially loading? (had this happen a few times).

Picture of eBay from last night

Everything is working fine at the moment (both connections) so I would imagine that any tests would show everything is working as it should....only it isn't.

Any ideas guys?

EDIT:

Seems I spoke too soon, it has just happened again:

'' Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.59 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 10.46 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.01Mbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps''

EDIT 2:

...and now it's back!
Mon 07/04/14 at 08:32
Regular
"I like turtles"
I reckon fellow Iron Maiden fans will be so jealous of my test! :)
Sun 06/04/14 at 22:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Think I've finally got to the bottom of my long standing evil connection...

'Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.66 Mbps'

Oh no pete ... you're on the Damien Server then ....
Sun 06/04/14 at 22:24
"Are you sure?"
Sounds good. What was it?
Edit: "the devil's in the detail..."

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 06/04/14 at 22:06
Regular
"I like turtles"
Think I've finally got to the bottom of my long standing evil connection...

'Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.66 Mbps'
Mon 10/02/14 at 11:25
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I've tracked down your ping test issue to the inability of the system to log your test due to the database server being restarted briefly. Nothing to worry about and you weren't logged as an 'abuser'!:)
Sun 09/02/14 at 22:35
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Stick with it pete ... but 'don't abuse' the system ;¬)

Noticed your post earlier and thought that you'd exceeded attempts but I did wonder what the response would be ;¬)
Sun 09/02/14 at 20:55
Regular
"I like turtles"
Eccles wrote:
Ah if you were testing this morning then that mesage might have been due to database maintenance we were doing. We log tests to stop too many being done from a connection in a short space of time.

This would have been about 12.45 ish, the notice that you have exceeded the 5 times in an hour permitted is pretty clear. The 'abuse' notice I posted earlier was mid way through my second test? Did a couple after this and they worked fine.

Everything seems OK this evening on both of my connections.
Sun 09/02/14 at 16:19
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah if you were testing this morning then that mesage might have been due to database maintenance we were doing. We log tests to stop too many being done from a connection in a short space of time.
Sun 09/02/14 at 13:07
Regular
"I like turtles"
Continuing to run the line quality ping test thing over the past few days with varying results. The vast majority seem fine (0% packet loss, 0% jitter) a couple have failed to start altogether (click on start test but nothing happens, connection just seems to freeze) & occasionally get a huge spike in the graph thing (highest as been 36ms & 14% packet loss) and then it drops straight back to zero again. Just before a test was half way through & then went to this:

''There was a problem checking for abuse, please check back later.''

Not sure what the 'abuse' relates to?

Anyway will continue running these tests to see if I can capture any other strange readings. At the moment things don't seem too bad but there is still definitely something not quite right.
Thu 06/02/14 at 22:12
Regular
"I like turtles"
Ran the Freeola ping test and it initially failed completely, found the setting in my router firewall to allow the ping thing and successfully ran the test.

''Packets lost [?] Average latency [?] Jitter [?]
4% 33.054ms 0ms''

Is 4% bad? and could it give me the issues I have been experiencing? The router was supplied by Freeola a while back yet I have only been experiencing these problems fairly recently. This setting must have been checked since installation. Will run the test on my other connection tomorrow and see if I get a similar reading.

Thanks for the help guys.

Connection itself seems OK again tonight, like I said earlier the symptoms are very intermittent. They can range from severe to non-existent! Just ran BT speedtest with the new settings on my router:

''Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.51 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 10.7 Mbps''

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.