GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Credit where its due"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/04/02 at 19:32
Regular
People that do or make good things deserve to be recognised for it. Just like, if game developers make a quality game, they deserve some credit for their achievements. I think it’s a bit out of order when you just played a game that they have spent a long long time making, and you don’t bothering watching them. I know, I do it as well, but I think they deserve some appreciation. It’s not often that you get a game that is of such a good quality so when it does happen it’s good to know whom they are. Don’t you think?

At the end of a game, just like a film, come the credits. Boring old credits, that no one wants to watch, which means, none of the game developers or producers get acknowledged for their work. When the credits come up on a game I switch over channels, till they have finished. So, what if their was a way to make credits more interesting and worth watching. If there was something to make me watch them and think that they are quite good to watch, I would watch them and probably enjoy them, and I’m sure that most of you would too, wouldn’t you?

Maybe, if there were off-takes from the characters of the game, like if they had mucked up they’re ‘acting’ so to speak. I think if they had done this in Metal Gear Solid 2, I think it was be much more interesting. Like if Snake and Raiden had mucked up one of their lines, the director could of shouted out ‘CUT’ and they have to start again. Or if when they had to speak one of them would have forgot their lines they could both start laughing. This would make the credits interesting and funny, and the credits could still come up, in between them.

Furthermore, it could also be really good for Resident Evil, while the credits are on, you could see some of the zombies in make-up getting ready, putting on their masks and costumes and Claire could practising here lines but then forgetting them and she could also be practising her actions. I think that would make it much more enjoyable, and you know for a fact, that it works because proof of it, is Rush Hour, the film. While the credits are running they have out-takes of all the stunts or bits of acting that have gone wrong. Which in turn, makes the credits much more interesting.

It doesn’t just have to be off-takes. I have seen a few games that have had a video of things that have happened in the game put on, whilst the credits are running, and that is a good idea. So, it could be anything that is put on while the credits are rolling as long as it makes you watch them.

Whilst the credits are running at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2, there is a song. Now this would have been good if the song wasn’t really annoying and sounds rubbish. But if they had put a good song that a lot of people liked then that might have cause a few people to stay in their seats and listen whilst having a look at the credits.

And I can hear what you’re thinking, ‘but wouldn’t you always look at the off-takes or the videos and not at the credits?’ And my reply to that is that when the credits up, you could start off with a few credits and then an off-take, and then it could go back to some credits, and so on. I think if game developers do use this then, it would make them more well know and people could have a laugh as well. Or while the video is running the credits could come up in a colour that is a complete contrast to the colour of the video so it stands out. It could be a win win situation.

Or if that didn’t work, they could have them in the opening video, so it makes it like your watching the beginning of a film. Because I know that whenever I get a new game, I always watch the opening scene to see what it’s like. I know that’s what happens in Metal Gear Solid 2 and that is why it has been compared to a film so much.

I think the ‘Making of’ DVD that comes with Metal Gear Solid 2, is a great way to enlighten us about the people that made the game, so that you can put a name to the face, and it shows informs us about how they made the game. I think if all games did that then a lot more people would know a lot more about games and the people that make them. One down side to that is that games like Metal Gear Solid 2 are hyped up so much and it is so good that it’s good for a game like that to have a ‘Making Of’ DVD to have, but it wouldn’t be good or interesting for a FIFA game, whereas it would be quality for a game like Zelda.

To be fair, not many people know who, Hideo Kojima is, or Shigeru Miyamoto is, so not many people are going to remember all those different names and faces, so that the next time you talk about a certain game, your not going to talk about all the different people that made it, but it is still good to remember a few, bearing in mind, they have spent ages making this game for you to play.

So, I think its time that game developers did something about this. If they want to get recognised for their talents and time they take put in to making a game, it s in their hands to sort it out.

Thanks for taking time to read it

Liquid Snake
Thu 11/04/02 at 07:24
Regular
"Brrrrr."
There could also be a seperate 'mini-game' to play during the credits...
Mon 08/04/02 at 20:27
Regular
"That's right!"
It's a conspiracy I tell you ;)
Mon 08/04/02 at 20:25
Happens all the time. People like winners. Fact of life.
Mon 08/04/02 at 18:21
Regular
Strange
Mon 08/04/02 at 18:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Liquid Snake wrote:
> Maybe?

Thanks for the GAD SR!!

well done!

I've actually had topics with NO replies that have won gad before... and then 2 people reply saying "well done"! lol
Mon 08/04/02 at 18:13
Regular
Maybe?

Thanks for the GAD SR!!
Mon 08/04/02 at 16:50
Regular
"That's right!"
Liquid Snake wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of replies.

---------

You should be happy, as it's the posts that get little or no response that always win GAD

People see it on the GAD list and THEN they read it

It's a conspiracy I tell you
Mon 08/04/02 at 13:36
Regular
Well done on the GAD!
Sun 07/04/02 at 16:22
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Liquid Snake wrote:
> Yeah, but a lot of people don't, and that's my point.

Yes, but, in reality, the general games playing public don't know much about films. Maybe they know one or two directors/producers, but only those that make big budget films.

So it'd be nice if they acknowledged the like of Hideo Kojima (EVERYONE knows who he is! Not only is his name on the game case (MGS2), but there's the documentary!), but by knowing that Miyamoto-san makes Ninty games they would just replace the words "Mr. Nintendo" with "Mr. Miyamoto". Not a great difference really.

What is probably more important is knowing the name of the developer of a game. If I said to Joe Bloggs that Rockstar games have got a new game, they'd be more tempted to buy that (based on experience of their games) than if I said "Jez San" has got a new game out. After all, that way the WHOLE team gets appreciated in the form of the developer, and not just the producer.

Sonic
Sun 07/04/02 at 15:40
Regular
Thanks everyone. I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of replies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.