GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sequels and yet more sequels........"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/10/00 at 14:00
Regular
Having read many contributions on this and other forum sites many people are slating the PS2 on that basis that some of the launch games etc will be sequels to psx games.
However is this necessarily a bad thing? Sequels are often (We Hope) an improvement on an already good game. Admittedly Ridge Racer V is only a graphical improvement, and TTT is no Tekken 4. But they are still good games in their own right.
The reason that developers make sequels is a lot to do with branding. For example after the success of Tomb Raider Eidos would have been extremely foolish not to create a sequel. Thankfully they did or we would not have the delights of the other 3 (and soon to be 4) Tomb Raiders.
However as we're all aware things can go too far. For example the yearly FIFA updates from EA. A few extra polygons, redesign the menus, some new music and hey presto FIFA European Cup - England Lose Again Special Edition!!
The sequels that we will have on the on the PS2 will hopefully take gaming to a new level. MGS2 will be one of them, after seeing the video I was in no doubt that it will be VERY special. Another sequel - Wipeout Fusion looks like another promising game and yes it's another sequel. Even so the PS2 has some very good original games on the Horizon - The Bouncer, Timesplitters, The Getaway, Fantavision... - I could go on.
Sega and Nintendo are also guilty of releasing sequels of their popular games at the launch of their new consoles - Mario 64, Mario Cart 64 to name but 2 on the N64. The new sonic game on the DC and Ecco the Dolphin 2 (WHY????) are another 2.

So people may complain, but I feel that the PS2 line-up at launch (30 or so games) and into the future looks very promising. And yes there may be the odd MGS2 or Final Fantasy X or Tekken 4 but we all know that these will be magnificent games because of their pedigree and the experience that their developers have had in making the previous games.

Roll on Tekken 7 is all I can say.......
Sat 14/10/00 at 15:15
Very valid points about the TR games and Ridge. If you've read one of my other posts, you'll see I agree with you - for a change!

I'm all for the thought process that says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - but there has to be a limit, and I think they've pushed the current format to its limit.

Tomb Raider needs some major innovations. TR5 on PS1 looks set to be more of the same, unfortunately. Hopefully with the extra power in the new machines, we will see some major improvements.

The thing is... what do you change? Or do you just quit while you're ahead?
Sat 14/10/00 at 14:10
You just dont really get the point, do you???
Sega introduced COMPLETELY new gameplay to Sonic and ecco, giving them a new lease of life AND better graphics.
All that the Tomb Rader sequels have done is add new levels and all that Ridge or Tekken are doing is improving the graphics therefore you will get bored VERY quickly as you have essentially played the same game with worse graphics before....
Thu 12/10/00 at 14:00
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Having read many contributions on this and other forum sites many people are slating the PS2 on that basis that some of the launch games etc will be sequels to psx games.
However is this necessarily a bad thing? Sequels are often (We Hope) an improvement on an already good game. Admittedly Ridge Racer V is only a graphical improvement, and TTT is no Tekken 4. But they are still good games in their own right.
The reason that developers make sequels is a lot to do with branding. For example after the success of Tomb Raider Eidos would have been extremely foolish not to create a sequel. Thankfully they did or we would not have the delights of the other 3 (and soon to be 4) Tomb Raiders.
However as we're all aware things can go too far. For example the yearly FIFA updates from EA. A few extra polygons, redesign the menus, some new music and hey presto FIFA European Cup - England Lose Again Special Edition!!
The sequels that we will have on the on the PS2 will hopefully take gaming to a new level. MGS2 will be one of them, after seeing the video I was in no doubt that it will be VERY special. Another sequel - Wipeout Fusion looks like another promising game and yes it's another sequel. Even so the PS2 has some very good original games on the Horizon - The Bouncer, Timesplitters, The Getaway, Fantavision... - I could go on.
Sega and Nintendo are also guilty of releasing sequels of their popular games at the launch of their new consoles - Mario 64, Mario Cart 64 to name but 2 on the N64. The new sonic game on the DC and Ecco the Dolphin 2 (WHY????) are another 2.

So people may complain, but I feel that the PS2 line-up at launch (30 or so games) and into the future looks very promising. And yes there may be the odd MGS2 or Final Fantasy X or Tekken 4 but we all know that these will be magnificent games because of their pedigree and the experience that their developers have had in making the previous games.

Roll on Tekken 7 is all I can say.......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.