GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Universal Dominance?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/12/07 at 11:24
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
There are countless theories in science and astronomy that suggest, because our race is only a few thousand years old, that we haven't had time to develop our technological understanding, and that if we were to ever encounter an intelligent alien lifeform (which I personally think is a certainty, eventually), that their technological intelligence and development would be far more advanced than ours.

However, if you look at the diversity of life as we know it, we are the dominant species as we know it. We may not be the most abundant (I think flies beat us in numbers), but we are by far the most intelligent species on this planet, and therefore the most intelligent species as we know it.

There is actually no evidence to suggest that any alien species' would be more intelligent and technologically advanced than us. It is only speculation due to the tiny amount of time that humans have existed compared to the age of the universe.

It was this difference in the age of humanity and the age of the universe that made me think: maybe that's how long it takes? We have no proof of any other alien lifeforms yet, and hence have no proof that they have existed for longer than us, and also no proof that they are more intelligent than us. Aliens being far more advanced than us is simply speculation and theory. We have nothing to gauge how long it takes for intelligence at a human level to evolve. Sure, life has existed for millions of years on Earth, what with the dinosaurs and even the most primitive of lifeforms: bacteria; but the dinosaurs and bacteria are/were hardly intelligent. They simply lived on survival instincts.

There is also the possibility that aliens could not have existed for much longer than us or the dinosaurs, simply because conditions weren't liveable back then, before the first life appeared on Earth. True, the Earth had a violent past, before life ever existed on it, but maybe the fact that Earth is the only known planet to support life is a sign that conditions are just too narrow for life support, and back then, regardless of planet, the universe itself simply was not capable of supporting life, or supporting an entity such as Earth which could support life.

So, debate time. How long do you think it takes for intelligent life to evolve? Do you believe that alien life is out there? What are your thoughts and ideas of their intelligence? Do you believe that they will be more intelligent than us? What if we, humans, were the actual dominant species of the universe, in terms of technological advancements?

And an extra idea which I got from watching things like Futurama and films like Men in Black: in the future, possibly after the discovery of multiple alien lifeforms on various worlds, how do you think this would shape politics, war, racism, the economy and ideals? We have enough conflict on our own planet between different races and nationalities. If there were several times more of these, which included species as well as race, nationality and all that, how do you think this would shape the future world and universe? Do you believe that after contact with multiple alien species', that there might be a universal government type thing, similar to DOOP in Futurama?

Discuss.
Tue 04/12/07 at 18:01
Regular
"Author of Pain"
I think given that we are still unable to rule out the possibility of life having existed on Mars at some point (indeed the liklihood appears to increase with every probe we send there), it must follow that there is an abundance of life among the stars.

The problem is always going to centre around journeying between them to meet up. There could be a thousand inhabited star systems, but that leaves billions deviod of life, and the distances between habitable stars is likely to be immense. If Einstein holds true and nothing can go faster than light, you're suddenly talking about trips between stars that would take generations to complete each way.

While it would be nice to meet our galactic neighbours, a sensible mind has to ask: what's the point? To share technology, when what you learn may well be centuries redundant by the time you get back to use it? To prove we're not alone when we can send signals and probes without having to risk or waste lives?

While it's nice to believe we'll one day travel the stars and live peacefully in a community of alien races, the simple fact is that we are a young species in a young star system in a very old galaxy. Stars were born, lived and died time and again before our sun was even conceived. Billions upon billions of years during which time any number of sentient species must have lived and died. If the secret to FTL travel could be unlocked, it would have been, and the species that managed that feat would have proliferated throughout the universe.

But there is no such race of omnipresent aliens. We're not alone, in the sense that it's folly to discount the reasonable probability that life exists elsewhere. But we will always be alone in that we will never meet them.
Tue 04/12/07 at 16:11
Regular
"eat toast!"
whichever race finds another planet and is able to travel to those inhabitants will be declared the superior race unless of course, they maul that race and turn the tables against it.

But as we know, we have another race to contend with first. The threat is very real and the enemy is real.

Chimps. Their brilliant memory will kill us all. I emplore the world to destroy these gentle giants before they turn into p****d of monkeys that can talk. Even with our DS's and brain training games, we're still no match for them.

See, this is why we must wipe out species. To hell with saving the near extinct ones, its pointless. We're wasting billions on a hopeless cause when we could use it to pump into the environment or into hospitals or to wage a war.
Tue 04/12/07 at 12:13
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Unfortunately there is absolutely no possible way that we can say whether: a) other planets exist that are capable of supporting life; b) alien life exists on any planets that are capable of supporting life; or c) they are more or less advanced than us.

The problem is because our experience and knowledge of such things is entirely subjective, i.e. the only real information we have to go on is from our own planet and existence.

I personally believe that there has to be other life out there, intelligent or otherwise, because the universe is so bloody big it'd be shame if there wasn't!

(I wanted to include an amusing quote here but I can't remember the exact wording and I can't find it online.)
Tue 04/12/07 at 11:24
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
There are countless theories in science and astronomy that suggest, because our race is only a few thousand years old, that we haven't had time to develop our technological understanding, and that if we were to ever encounter an intelligent alien lifeform (which I personally think is a certainty, eventually), that their technological intelligence and development would be far more advanced than ours.

However, if you look at the diversity of life as we know it, we are the dominant species as we know it. We may not be the most abundant (I think flies beat us in numbers), but we are by far the most intelligent species on this planet, and therefore the most intelligent species as we know it.

There is actually no evidence to suggest that any alien species' would be more intelligent and technologically advanced than us. It is only speculation due to the tiny amount of time that humans have existed compared to the age of the universe.

It was this difference in the age of humanity and the age of the universe that made me think: maybe that's how long it takes? We have no proof of any other alien lifeforms yet, and hence have no proof that they have existed for longer than us, and also no proof that they are more intelligent than us. Aliens being far more advanced than us is simply speculation and theory. We have nothing to gauge how long it takes for intelligence at a human level to evolve. Sure, life has existed for millions of years on Earth, what with the dinosaurs and even the most primitive of lifeforms: bacteria; but the dinosaurs and bacteria are/were hardly intelligent. They simply lived on survival instincts.

There is also the possibility that aliens could not have existed for much longer than us or the dinosaurs, simply because conditions weren't liveable back then, before the first life appeared on Earth. True, the Earth had a violent past, before life ever existed on it, but maybe the fact that Earth is the only known planet to support life is a sign that conditions are just too narrow for life support, and back then, regardless of planet, the universe itself simply was not capable of supporting life, or supporting an entity such as Earth which could support life.

So, debate time. How long do you think it takes for intelligent life to evolve? Do you believe that alien life is out there? What are your thoughts and ideas of their intelligence? Do you believe that they will be more intelligent than us? What if we, humans, were the actual dominant species of the universe, in terms of technological advancements?

And an extra idea which I got from watching things like Futurama and films like Men in Black: in the future, possibly after the discovery of multiple alien lifeforms on various worlds, how do you think this would shape politics, war, racism, the economy and ideals? We have enough conflict on our own planet between different races and nationalities. If there were several times more of these, which included species as well as race, nationality and all that, how do you think this would shape the future world and universe? Do you believe that after contact with multiple alien species', that there might be a universal government type thing, similar to DOOP in Futurama?

Discuss.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.