GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mans Best Friend...?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty: Ghosts'.
Fri 08/11/13 at 08:54
Regular
"I like turtles"
While most of the gaming world seems to be consumed right now with the imminent launch of the next gen consoles I have been riled by spending £40 of my hard earned cash on the lazy disappointing mess that is Call Of Duty Ghosts. I honestly couldn't care less about the Xbox One version 'only' running at 720P or the PS4 apparently suffering frame rate issues the game is broken and no matter how pretty it may look on the next gen consoles (or a high end PC for that matter) it's not very good, not awful but not very good and it's all down to half assed lazy development....and dogs!

The multiplayer is screwed in most modes mainly because most of the maps are too big for the relatively small amount of players and lend themselves to hardcore camping. Yes in it's 10th incarnation this COD really does mean Camp Or Die...and there's the dogs... For those players who choose not to camp there are those who generally run around like headless chickens with their 4 legged friends in tow. Encounter them and you are basically left with 2 choices:

A) Shoot the dog, get killed by the enemy soldier.

B) Shoot the soldier, get eaten by the dog.

Some of my favourite modes are missing altogether in this game (namely Headquarters & Capture The Flag) and those which remain are ruined by campers...and canines.

Then there's the single player campaign where you actually get to play as a dog. You creep through the undergrowth and take out unsuspecting enemy soldiers in a ninja like stealth mode. I can imagine the sound of a ferocious canine mauling a screaming soldier to death would be a totally silent experience. Oh and there is a totally useless bark button as well, no tail wagging button though which I'll be honest was a disappointment. Also this dog must be some kind of 4 legged superbeast, as you can order him to go on ahead to take out selected enemies. He's explosive proof as well, once you have deployed him, throw any explosive device up ahead and watch your enemies get blown to pieces while your trusty canine seems strangely unaffected. There is also a section where you and your teammates are required to wear gas masks to fight through an area filled with tear gas. This must be canine friendly tear gas as the dog seemed quite happy to romp through it munching on bad guys before returning for a well earned biscuit. Apart from all of this nonsense playing as/with a dog is not only ridiculous but also a strangely funless experience. The Call Of Duty franchise is all about stupidly OTT unrealistic gameplay but generally I have found these games fun, anything doggy related to be found in this game really isn't which is unforgivable in my book.

I'm curious as to how this much publicised feature of the game actually came to fruition? Was there a board meeting at Activision where they were so stumped of fresh ideas that someone came up with the idea of introducing animals into the worlds best selling FPS franchise? I thought it might be fun but I was wrong, it was a terrible idea and I will be very surprised to see it in any further versions of the Call Of Duty franchise. I've nothing against dogs or even dogs in gaming for that matter, the Nintendogs titles were certainly popular enough and Dogs Life on the PS2 was great fun back in the day. Dogs in an FPS though are definite no no in my opinion, it was a crap idea to begin with and no amount of polishing is going to save a feature which deserves putting in the small red bins you generally find in parks.
Sun 10/11/13 at 21:44
Regular
"I like turtles"
chasfh wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i] Think I'm going to finish off playing through the single player campaign and sell/trade it.

...For a squeaky pork chop and a bag of Bonio's, I hope....[/i]

Why not?, seeing as my pals & chums are either flogging this howler or have avoided it altogether I would probably get more use out of those!
Sat 09/11/13 at 19:23
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i] Think I'm going to finish off playing through the single player campaign and sell/trade it.

...For a squeaky pork chop and a bag of Bonio's, I hope....[/i]

At last ... sanity speaks :¬D
Sat 09/11/13 at 16:40
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pete_21 wrote:
Think I'm going to finish off playing through the single player campaign and sell/trade it.

...For a squeaky pork chop and a bag of Bonio's, I hope....
Sat 09/11/13 at 15:48
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
I finished the series at COD:Black Ops ... enough said ...

The 'series' was gaining momentum into stupidity even then ;¬)

I can handle these games being a bit bonkers DL, the remote controlled machine gun wielding helicopters and the grenade spewing R2D2 things in Black Ops 2 were crazy....but fun. Regarding the dog features in the new one though I'm wondering what the hell the chaps at Infinity Ward had been smoking when they came up with them, presume these features would have been tested by players? and yet someone still thought they were a good idea. I'm actually surprised you cannot 'upgrade' frag grenades for a bone or something... To me the COD series has always been something you can sit back with a cold beer after a hard days work and have some fun with your mates on, nothing more, nothing less. The problem with COD Ghosts is that it seems to lead to little more than utter frustration. For example I was playing the Cranked mode the other night, once you kill someone you become turbo charged for 30 seconds before you explode. Got a kill and then ran around this mahoosive map frantically trying to find someone to kill....failed and blew up. This happened about 4 times in one game. Think I'm going to finish off playing through the single player campaign and sell/trade it.
Fri 08/11/13 at 18:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I finished the series at COD:Black Ops ... enough said ...

The 'series' was gaining momentum into stupidity even then ;¬)
Fri 08/11/13 at 15:31
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I'm fairly confident that once a game gets past four iterations it's almost guaranteed to be a lazy, good for nothing, "look, new hats" cash in on a recognised brand name. There are very few exceptions to this.

Look at Resident Evil, for example.
First, second and third games, pretty darned good.
A few "cash in" spin-offs, that most likely would now be released as DLC, not too shabby...
Resi 4... average...
Resi 5... "No new ideas so... let's make the zombies run!"
Tenuous story link to try to explain it. horrible game. horrible controls.
Resi 6... err... The biggest talking point for this one was the dodgy giraffe in the logo, wasn't it?
Fri 08/11/13 at 15:16
Regular
"I like turtles"
chasfh wrote:
...like Hong Kong Phooey...

...so what's the problem then?

If you could play like Hong Kong Phooey it would clearly be the most fanrific game ever, unfortunately you can't and it isn't. Call Of Duty Ghosts is supposedly one the major titles that should be enticing us into shelling out £400 odd for a shiny next generation console but it's a lazy by the numbers effort which not only fails to offer anything remotely new it is actually a significant step backwards from last years Black Ops 2 (which was actually a well a put together video game). Yes some may argue that was still the same old rubbish churned out on an annual basis but it did offer a well balanced online multiplayer experience and was fun to play, this doesn't and it isn't.
Fri 08/11/13 at 09:58
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Then there's the single player campaign where you actually get to play as a dog. You creep through the undergrowth and take out unsuspecting enemy soldiers in a ninja like stealth mode.

...like Hong Kong Phooey...

...so what's the problem then?
Fri 08/11/13 at 08:54
Regular
"I like turtles"
While most of the gaming world seems to be consumed right now with the imminent launch of the next gen consoles I have been riled by spending £40 of my hard earned cash on the lazy disappointing mess that is Call Of Duty Ghosts. I honestly couldn't care less about the Xbox One version 'only' running at 720P or the PS4 apparently suffering frame rate issues the game is broken and no matter how pretty it may look on the next gen consoles (or a high end PC for that matter) it's not very good, not awful but not very good and it's all down to half assed lazy development....and dogs!

The multiplayer is screwed in most modes mainly because most of the maps are too big for the relatively small amount of players and lend themselves to hardcore camping. Yes in it's 10th incarnation this COD really does mean Camp Or Die...and there's the dogs... For those players who choose not to camp there are those who generally run around like headless chickens with their 4 legged friends in tow. Encounter them and you are basically left with 2 choices:

A) Shoot the dog, get killed by the enemy soldier.

B) Shoot the soldier, get eaten by the dog.

Some of my favourite modes are missing altogether in this game (namely Headquarters & Capture The Flag) and those which remain are ruined by campers...and canines.

Then there's the single player campaign where you actually get to play as a dog. You creep through the undergrowth and take out unsuspecting enemy soldiers in a ninja like stealth mode. I can imagine the sound of a ferocious canine mauling a screaming soldier to death would be a totally silent experience. Oh and there is a totally useless bark button as well, no tail wagging button though which I'll be honest was a disappointment. Also this dog must be some kind of 4 legged superbeast, as you can order him to go on ahead to take out selected enemies. He's explosive proof as well, once you have deployed him, throw any explosive device up ahead and watch your enemies get blown to pieces while your trusty canine seems strangely unaffected. There is also a section where you and your teammates are required to wear gas masks to fight through an area filled with tear gas. This must be canine friendly tear gas as the dog seemed quite happy to romp through it munching on bad guys before returning for a well earned biscuit. Apart from all of this nonsense playing as/with a dog is not only ridiculous but also a strangely funless experience. The Call Of Duty franchise is all about stupidly OTT unrealistic gameplay but generally I have found these games fun, anything doggy related to be found in this game really isn't which is unforgivable in my book.

I'm curious as to how this much publicised feature of the game actually came to fruition? Was there a board meeting at Activision where they were so stumped of fresh ideas that someone came up with the idea of introducing animals into the worlds best selling FPS franchise? I thought it might be fun but I was wrong, it was a terrible idea and I will be very surprised to see it in any further versions of the Call Of Duty franchise. I've nothing against dogs or even dogs in gaming for that matter, the Nintendogs titles were certainly popular enough and Dogs Life on the PS2 was great fun back in the day. Dogs in an FPS though are definite no no in my opinion, it was a crap idea to begin with and no amount of polishing is going to save a feature which deserves putting in the small red bins you generally find in parks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.