GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bad News for X-Box owners"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/04/02 at 22:23
Regular
Xbox is a flop in Europe too - News
05-Apr-2002 11:57:05 BST
As if collapsing sales figures in Japan weren't bad enough, the Xbox this week had to face harsh facts here in Europe as well.

At launch the console performed strongest in the UK, selling some 48,000 units in its first weekend. Since then sales have gradually been slipping though, and last week (only its second full week on sale) saw the Xbox virtually vanquished from the UK all formats chart, according to the latest Chart Track figures.

Halo dropped from 4th to 13th, Project Gotham fell to 23rd, and somewhat embarrassingly Xbox covergirl Dead Or Alive 3 is currently being outsold by the Platinum re-release of Dead Or Alive 2 : Hardcore on the PS2.

No other Xbox exclusive titles are left in the all formats top 40, although if you discount PC games and console budget releases Rallisport Challenge, Jet Set Radio Future, Star Wars: Obi Wan and Munch's Oddysee all squeeze into the lower reaches of the chart.

Either way it's not happy reading for Microsoft, and weekly hardware sales are thought to be down to four figure numbers in the UK already. A price cut would be good any time now, Redmond.

Related Feature - Xbox is a flop in Japan
Source - Chart Track

Taken from Blueyonder Gaming
Sat 02/11/13 at 10:29
Regular
"Here to help"
Newsletters are sent out periodically to all members who have subscribed to News letters, to change your email notifications visit 'my settings'
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:22
Regular
Not to mention the hundreds upon millions they have spent on Marketing...They didnt initially expect to make a profit on the thing until 2005...at this rate will they ever make a profit from it?!
Sat 06/04/02 at 10:09
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I found this link which talks about this story and the X-box's state.

http://www.gameswire.com/News.asp?NewsID=369

Apparantly it costs $375 to produce one x-box, and selling at $299, microsoft are not making a very high profit. And they are now planning a price reduction to $199 which means they will be making even more of a loss.

After reading this I've kind of gone off the idea of buying an X-box, so I think I'll look to the Gamecube from now on.
Sat 06/04/02 at 01:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
cookie monster wrote:
> It even reported this in the daily mail, and went as far as saying some
> stockists are considering removing the xbox from their shelves.

What day/page was this? I might still have it.
Sat 06/04/02 at 00:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
It even reported this in the daily mail, and went as far as saying some stockists are considering removing the xbox from their shelves.
Sat 06/04/02 at 00:12
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
As a machine, the X-Box is a beast. But it's all about that games... Always has been, always will be. PlayStation 2 has LOADS of quality games, and Nintendo have always had the best games on their consoles.

Like Yamauchi said: "Microsoft don't know the gaming market. The X-Box is too big for Japan, and I don't think it'll succeed."

God Bless Hiro!
Fri 05/04/02 at 23:01
Its if you love the console I loved my dc but oh well RIP and I love my x-box
Fri 05/04/02 at 22:42
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I've heard so much bad press about the Xbox recently, I just love having a good laugh everytime I read a new article on it (not because it's funny, just because it makes me fell more confident that my PS2 is better than the Xbox)

It seems hard to judge whether the Xbox really is any good. I gotta say, at launch I really wanted to get one and was even considering trying to trade in my PS2 just to get one. I thought i'd made the wrong decision in buying a PS2 just months before the release of the Xbox, but now, i'm not so sure.

I guess it all depends which articles you beleive about the console.
Fri 05/04/02 at 22:23
Xbox is a flop in Europe too - News
05-Apr-2002 11:57:05 BST
As if collapsing sales figures in Japan weren't bad enough, the Xbox this week had to face harsh facts here in Europe as well.

At launch the console performed strongest in the UK, selling some 48,000 units in its first weekend. Since then sales have gradually been slipping though, and last week (only its second full week on sale) saw the Xbox virtually vanquished from the UK all formats chart, according to the latest Chart Track figures.

Halo dropped from 4th to 13th, Project Gotham fell to 23rd, and somewhat embarrassingly Xbox covergirl Dead Or Alive 3 is currently being outsold by the Platinum re-release of Dead Or Alive 2 : Hardcore on the PS2.

No other Xbox exclusive titles are left in the all formats top 40, although if you discount PC games and console budget releases Rallisport Challenge, Jet Set Radio Future, Star Wars: Obi Wan and Munch's Oddysee all squeeze into the lower reaches of the chart.

Either way it's not happy reading for Microsoft, and weekly hardware sales are thought to be down to four figure numbers in the UK already. A price cut would be good any time now, Redmond.

Related Feature - Xbox is a flop in Japan
Source - Chart Track

Taken from Blueyonder Gaming

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.