GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The greatest sports title of all time?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/10/00 at 10:43
Regular
Bit of a contentious topic this one, as I really should break it down into best football game, best American football game, best ice hockey game etc. However, just to make it a bit more difficult we will stick with one overarching topic.

I have posted this as a topic as I could not sleep last night and I began to think about all the sports games that I have enjoyed over the years. From the brilliant Microprose Soccer on the Commodore 64 (it was good back then honest!!), through Sensible Soccer on the Amiga, to the Fifa and ISS games on Nintendo and Sega systems. Football has always been my favourite sports genre. But I have also been a big fan of the Madden and NHL hockey series, since I first played them on the Megadrive / Genesis. Lets not forget Smash Tennis and NBA Jam on the SNES and the brilliant Track and Field series on various systems.

I could go on, but I wont (cue sigh of relief). Up until the advent of online FPS's Sports games were the best way to humiliate your mates/brother etc in multiplayer. I spent large chunks of my youth playing Madden and Fifa against my brother and I look back on those days with great fondness.

Anyway, over to you. Do you agree with my choice of sports titles?? Think there is a glaring omission?? (bound to be at least one!!) OR disagree with my choices completely??

Lets get a discussion going here.
Thu 12/10/00 at 10:43
Bit of a contentious topic this one, as I really should break it down into best football game, best American football game, best ice hockey game etc. However, just to make it a bit more difficult we will stick with one overarching topic.

I have posted this as a topic as I could not sleep last night and I began to think about all the sports games that I have enjoyed over the years. From the brilliant Microprose Soccer on the Commodore 64 (it was good back then honest!!), through Sensible Soccer on the Amiga, to the Fifa and ISS games on Nintendo and Sega systems. Football has always been my favourite sports genre. But I have also been a big fan of the Madden and NHL hockey series, since I first played them on the Megadrive / Genesis. Lets not forget Smash Tennis and NBA Jam on the SNES and the brilliant Track and Field series on various systems.

I could go on, but I wont (cue sigh of relief). Up until the advent of online FPS's Sports games were the best way to humiliate your mates/brother etc in multiplayer. I spent large chunks of my youth playing Madden and Fifa against my brother and I look back on those days with great fondness.

Anyway, over to you. Do you agree with my choice of sports titles?? Think there is a glaring omission?? (bound to be at least one!!) OR disagree with my choices completely??

Lets get a discussion going here.
Thu 12/10/00 at 12:58
Regular
"not dead"
Kevin Keegan Player Manager, on the SNES!
Thu 12/10/00 at 21:47
Regular
"Whatever!"
I have played so many sports games it is difficult to decide what is the best. The one that has always stuck with me, and that I sometimes play even now is SENSIBLE WORLD OF SOCCER on the Amiga. It is just one of those games that is impossible to put down. I believe it is the only soccer title ever to have almost every possible club/international team. It is simple in terms of gameplay and graphics, yet is one of the most addictive games ever made.
Of course before SWOS, I had KICK OFF on the Amiga aswell and that sort of set the trend for 'overhead' football games. That was just as addictive.
SUPER TENNIS on the SNES was another of my favourites. It could be compared now to the excellent VIRTUA TENNIS on the Dreamcast, in terms of the gameplay style. So simple to pick up, but always difficult to master.
I have owned a few basketball games in the past, from BASKETBALL NIGHTMARE to NBA JAM. But obviously NBA2K on Dreamcast steals the limelight for best basketball game to date.
Going back to football games, the very first FIFA on the Megadrive really shaped the way we look at football sims today. At the time it was the most revolutionary soccer title made, and the isometric perspective worked superbly. It is a crying shame that EA Sports havent moved on to try and make the next, next generation soccer game.
Just have to mention that I always enjoy playing the TRACK AND FIELD games on all consoles. The button bashing technique never grows old. This is a game that I think will always be around whatever the machine may be.

At the end of the day, my opinion is that SENSIBLE WORLD OF SOCCER must rank as the best ever sports game, and only something incredible could take its place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.