GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The men who changed the face of gaming - forever!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/04/02 at 19:33
Regular
So who are the men who have defined what we see as a good game? Who has pushed the boundaries to previously unseen of limits? Who are the men that have redefined gaming, provided us with superb experiences, introduced innovative console ideas, stories and techniques? This post, my friends, will tell you of such men. (It contains developers from all companies). Starting with…

Me! (Sorry, blood rush to the head again) *slaps face repeatedly*

Shigeru Miyamoto – How can we not include Shigsy baby! (I hope mandatare doesn’t accuse me for hating Sony for writing this – lol). I think that he has changed the course of videogames, that’s for sure. He joined Nintendo as an artist but soon moved on to game designing at the command of Mr. Yamauchi. His first visionary game was the excellent Donkey Kong, also starring the little known Jumpman. Wonder what happened top him? Miyamoto is a true genius that has developed all the brilliant Mario games and has also had his magic hand in the developing of the Zelda, Kirby and Donkey Kong series. Quite simply, he has changed the face of games forever, and it looks like he will do for the foreseeable future.

Yu Suzuki – Yu Suzuki is quite possibly Sega’s answer to Miyamoto. Responsible for some of the greatest arcade games of all time, Hang On and Out Run, and more recently F355 Challenge immediately spring to mind. In my opinion he was and still is the foremost expert in arcades, and his game has had me spend many an hour down the arcade – and wasting money! One of his greatest achievements was the first fully 3D beat-‘em-up, Virtua Fighter, which was released in 1993 to critical acclaim. Recently the series has slipped behind to Tekken and Soul Calibur but with his heavy involvement in the fourth, it looks like going back the top. Why the time away? Working on epic Shenmue, a game of gigantic size and scale. Whatever superb series he comes up with next, his commitment to excellence in the arcade and console field, and his commitment to Sony has meant he has had a massive impact on gaming.

Hideo Kojima – I know he hasn’t been involved in a lot of major series bar MGS, but one thing’s for sure, with Metal Gear Solid 2 he has revolutionised gaming. People will look at games differently, and it will take a skilled developer to match the sense of involvement, feeling, complexity, and depth of Metal Gear Solid 2. Quite simply, it has become the benchmark for future PS2 games. I know he hasn’t shown the diversity that the aforementioned developers have shown in that he hasn’t really experimented with different genres, but with his Metal Gear creation he certainly, in the modern era at least, cemented his place as one of the world’s finest developers, and changed our perspectives on games, especially plot driven, forever.

Gunpei Yoko – You might not know this man, but he is responsible for the single most successful console in history – the Game Boy. Now in its third incarnation, the Game Boy has revolutionised gaming – the ‘play anywhere’ remit helping Nintendo to massive Game Boy sales. He was also an integral part in creating the Game & Watch series and was involved with the Metroid series. His vision of handheld gaming will have a monumental effect on gaming, mark my words.Tragically, he died in a car crash in 1997. But people will never forget his legacy – he has truly revolutionised games and his creation, the Game Boy, lives on and will continue to do so.

And now for someone that might change the face of gaming forever…

Bill Gates – Love him or loathe him, he's here to stay. I know he isn’t a developer, but Microsoft’s entry into the market, the Xbox, has the potential to change gaming. Massive hard drive space, impressive console specs and huge financial clout means Gates’ console has the chance to revolutionise gaming. Only time will tell…

Thanks for reading

Russell
Mon 08/04/02 at 07:13
Regular
Good idea, I think that some Baftas are rewarded to game developers, I remember Rare getting one for Goldeneye a little while back...
Sun 07/04/02 at 14:50
Regular
"95% organic"
You made an interesting point there, these designers have all been central to the success of the ever-booming gaming industry. Bearing in mind the games industry is bigger than both the film and music industry put together, i reckon these people should get a little more recognition outside the core gaming audience... (obviously that doesn't really apply to the ubitiquous Mr Gates!). Bring on an Oscar/Grammy equivalent for the people behind our favourite games!
Sun 07/04/02 at 14:36
Regular
I think it was just a rumour, but imagine...
Sat 06/04/02 at 10:23
Regular
V.V.V.V.V. wrote:

I often dream of
> Suzuki and Miyamoto working on a game together.
Just imagine the merging of
> Suzuki's exquisite "eye for detail" and Miyamoto's magical imagination
> - what a game that would be.

Ever heard rumours of Nintendo and Sega : The Dream Comes True?
Sat 06/04/02 at 10:20
Regular
What makes the developers you've mentioned so outstanding can be summed up in one word: *excellence*.
Every creation they have been involved in has been of an ultra high standard.
Long may they continue to shine.

I often dream of Suzuki and Miyamoto working on a game together.
Just imagine the merging of Suzuki's exquisite "eye for detail" and Miyamoto's magical imagination - what a game that would be.
Sat 06/04/02 at 08:51
Regular
So do 1!
Sat 06/04/02 at 08:44
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Nice Post RM18, I also think that Gunpei Yoko would be proud of the Game Boy Advance if he was here today !!!
Sat 06/04/02 at 07:43
Regular
Thanks
Fri 05/04/02 at 23:04
Nice Post mate
Fri 05/04/02 at 21:58
Didn't you post this somewhere else?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.