GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Interesting Piece of Info......."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/04/02 at 16:16
Regular
Just read an article in the UK Computers Guide. It mentioned that "... according to sales figures for last week, XBox sold a disappinting 4,300 consoles in Japan, compared to 25,000 GameCubes sold and an impressive 100,000 PS2s" !!

A software developer friend of mine once told me that the Japanese market has always been crucial to the sucess or failure of a console. As they, arguably, have some of the best developers, if the Japanese lose interest, the console is more than likely to fail!!
My question is regardless of how well the XBox does in Europe, will it simply struggle to compete (like the Dreamcast)??

I ask, cuz I was seriously considering buying an XBox (just came in to some money!) but now I'm not sure!! I don't want to be done twice - had just bought a Dreamcast when SEGA decided to finish with it!

Views appreciated.
Wed 25/09/13 at 13:30
Mission

Provide innovative and sustainable solutions to industry to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
Always deliver value for our customers, suppliers and staff.
Exceed the expectations of all our stakeholders.

Vision

We will continue to grow through retaining and developing our customers.
We will add new customers and reach out to new markets.
We will add value to the company, our employees and the community.

Values

All that we do will be encased in the abiding values of:
Fairness - being just or impartial
Honesty - truthfulness, candour and sincerity
Loyalty - devotion, duty, or attachment to something
Integrity - possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards
with a passion for going the extra mile!

and all we ask is that you bear these values in mind when posting on this forum!
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:41
Regular
"Bah"
id only consider an X-box if it ws £150 with 2 pads and Halo -all the other games look pretty poor to me
Sat 06/04/02 at 12:15
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Surely with this new info Microsoft will have to reduce the price of their mean machine. A GameCube will set you back an extremely cheap £170 and the PS2 £200. The Xbox is a mahoosive £300 and one of EB's packages which contains 4 games, two controllers etc. will set you back £500! Lowering the price of the Xbox may dent Microsofts credability but it will have to be done if the Xbox is to succeed.
Sat 06/04/02 at 11:46
LondonLad wrote:
> Just read an article in the UK Computers Guide. It mentioned that "...
> according to sales figures for last week, XBox sold a disappinting 4,300
> consoles in Japan, compared to 25,000 GameCubes sold and an impressive 100,000
> PS2s" !!

A software developer friend of mine once told me that the
> Japanese market has always been crucial to the sucess or failure of a console.
> As they, arguably, have some of the best developers, if the Japanese lose
> interest, the console is more than likely to fail!!
My question is regardless
> of how well the XBox does in Europe, will it simply struggle to compete (like
> the Dreamcast)??v

The x-box isn't selling very well in Europe either, although much better than in Japan. I think though that the X-box will still be with us for along time seeing as Microsoft won't want it to fail, as this would be an embarrasment for them. So they would just throw more money on it to keep it going. I myself am going to stick with my PS2 and most likely get a Gamecube when Mario Sunshine comes out.
Fri 05/04/02 at 17:56
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well its good to see the PS2 still selling well anyway.

But your right that the japanese market can make or break a console, there more into consoles than any other country in the world (hence all the developers being over there) so if a console fails to compete there things are looking grim for it.

I too will be waiting a while before deciding whether to buy a second console at all. The PS2 has some great games coming out this summer and they maybe enough to keep me glued to it for some time, meaning i dont need a new console.

Only time will tell.
Fri 05/04/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
LondonLad wrote:

As
> for Alex+Daxter2s reply - GROW UP YOU BIG KID! If you can't contribute in a
> suitable way, then don't bother mate!!

Excellent - SR have deleted his post and banned him already - good riddance..
Fri 05/04/02 at 16:41
cheers for your input nh - yep, I think waiting until next chrimbo is a good idea. It does seem far to early to go slapshing £300 plus on a new console just yet! After the Dreamcast fiasco, I don't want to be caught out again!

As for Alex+Daxter2s reply - GROW UP YOU BIG KID! If you can't contribute in a suitable way, then don't bother mate!!
Fri 05/04/02 at 16:28
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Most of the trade stuff you look at points to X Box sales being less than Mr Gates was hoping for but they have still shifted a phenomonal amount of units worldwide.

Wether it is a success or not will not be know for at least a year to 18 months + so I wouldn't worry about that yet. As to wether or not you get one - that's up to you.

Personally I will be waiting till nearer Christmas when the prices of GC and X Box will no doubt have levelled and we will have more games to choose from etc.
Fri 05/04/02 at 16:28
Regular
"iambacktofuckitup!"
Fri 05/04/02 at 16:16
Just read an article in the UK Computers Guide. It mentioned that "... according to sales figures for last week, XBox sold a disappinting 4,300 consoles in Japan, compared to 25,000 GameCubes sold and an impressive 100,000 PS2s" !!

A software developer friend of mine once told me that the Japanese market has always been crucial to the sucess or failure of a console. As they, arguably, have some of the best developers, if the Japanese lose interest, the console is more than likely to fail!!
My question is regardless of how well the XBox does in Europe, will it simply struggle to compete (like the Dreamcast)??

I ask, cuz I was seriously considering buying an XBox (just came in to some money!) but now I'm not sure!! I don't want to be done twice - had just bought a Dreamcast when SEGA decided to finish with it!

Views appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.