GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sales Figures"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/04/02 at 13:50
Regular
Is it me or is PS2 still outselling the GC in Japan? Theres probably a great explanation for this but for the PS2 to be selling over twice as many consoles as the GC then it does look a bit dodgy...

http://www.cube-europe.com/fullnews.cgi?newsid1018006019,46490,
Fri 05/04/02 at 13:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Is it me or is PS2 still outselling the GC in Japan? Theres probably a great explanation for this but for the PS2 to be selling over twice as many consoles as the GC then it does look a bit dodgy...

http://www.cube-europe.com/fullnews.cgi?newsid1018006019,46490,
Fri 05/04/02 at 14:37
Regular
Completly correct. PS2 is outselling everything by miles.

Sony won this console war ages ago.
Fri 05/04/02 at 14:43
Regular
"not dead"
And the PSOne is outselling the Xbox.

It will be more interesting to see in 6 months time, when the two new consoles have had a while to get established.
Fri 05/04/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Of course the PS2 has won it - and that's only cuz it's been out A LOT longer than it's 2 main rivals!
How long is it now.... 2 years??
It'd make a more interesting console war if it was released at around this time now - like the X-box and GameCube.

I think Sony are rushing into things, way too quickly!
We already heard that the PS3 could be here as early as 2005!! Meaning the PS2 will only be around for about 5 years, compared to the expected and hopefull 8 of the GameCube!

Are Sony really planning ahead well for the future??
And what are the odds that by the year 2020, we will have already seen more Playstation consoles than the current number of Final Fantasy games!??
Fri 05/04/02 at 18:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Solskjaer, what'swrong with the PS2 only lasting 5 years- that's the norm for consoles nowadays.

And yes, the PS2 has "won" the console war in terms of sales... something we acknowledged in Prime about 18months ago!
Fri 05/04/02 at 20:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
This was really always to be expected, the thought that the cube could make a comeback after a 2 year abscence was nothing short of wishful thinking.
Sat 06/04/02 at 01:48
Regular
Solskjær wrote:

I think Sony are rushing into things, way too
> quickly!
We already heard that the PS3 could be here as early as 2005!! Meaning
> the PS2 will only be around for about 5 years, compared to the expected and
> hopefull 8 of the GameCube!

The geezer at sony only said that becasue of the threat from Microsoft...as the X-box has been a flop in Japan and even in Europe, I doubt the PS3 will now come that soon.

Also, Gamecube may well have games produced for 8 years, but a new Nintendo console will be out in around 5-6 years...Just be like the situation with the PSone and PS2 at the moment.
Sat 06/04/02 at 01:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Gc has sold 1.5 million in Japan - PS2 onl 4.5, and that is for two years longer - The GC is getting there, and in recent figures is selling very well - The XBox is doing very badly! (he he)

Cube Europe is great!
Sat 06/04/02 at 13:20
Regular
Before people all go and think that Sony have won the console wars in terms of sales just because of those sales figures, just remember, that those figures are for one week!

Anyway, Sony have had their console out on the shelves for a much longer period of time, so they've had a longer chance to advertise, let people test and release more games for the Japanese to get their hands on whilst the GameCube and X-box have only just (in comparison) been released!

I never expected the X-box to do well in Japan anyway, being it an American console competing against two long standing Japanese companies. It's more likely the Japanese are being loyal to their country's economy, than a hate of the X-box itself. The only company to make such an impact on Japan whilst based in the western world was Sinclair who made the ZX Spectrum series. Sinclair ust about created console gaming, and brought the concept over to Japan and the United States, yet now Japan's very own companies: Sega, Sony and Nintendo have been making their own consoles, it comes to no suprise that they're setting the standards whilst the American giants Microsoft are struggling to compete.

I predict that the GameCube will catch up, if not beat the Playstation 2's weekly sales by the end of 2003, as the Playstation 2 is already in many people's homes in Japan and it's very unlikely they'll need to buy another one unless to replace a faulty machine or they're that desperate to use the Multitap.

What amazes me by those figures is how many sales the Wonder Swan Colour has had in comparison to the X-box! Roughly 50% of the X-box, and the WSC isn't even an international handheld yet!
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Although weekly GC sales may catch up, the number of GCs won't ever outnumber PS2s....

Oh, and I like the wording there Edgy:
"The only company to make such an impact on Japan whilst based in the western world..."

After all, Sega used to be American! Damn you with your forsight!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.