GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't believe the anti-hype"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/04/02 at 12:26
Regular
We've all been told a hundred times not to believe the hype, but in the case of the Xbox I've learned not to believe the anti-hype either. A lot of people have had it in for the Xbox ever since it was announced as a new console. I've heard all kinds of rumours about it.

How about that it crashes all the time, heard that one?

What about that it scratches the disks, heard that at all?

I even saw a faked article that was put on IGN, saying that Microsoft had no choice but to pull the Xbox out of the market due to a lack of sales and third party support!

Is any of this true? Well, as to the first two, I can't speak for what might have happened with early batches of the console, but the third one is blatantly untrue.

Microsoft had a very successful US launch and deservedly so, because the Xbox is something very special. Despite all the anti-hype, I bought one about two weeks ago. I have clocked up a good 40-50 hours of playing time since then and there hasn't been even a hint of a crash, nor any kind of disk scratching.

This is truly a next-generation console and it just oozes class from the moment you get it out of the box. The console looks nice (and it isn't that much bigger than a PS2 with a hard drive attached!) and the start-up menu screens are very futuristic looking, setting it apart from the others. And you know those huge controllers? They are actually really nice to use, very well-made and have extra long leads. The DVD player is better than the one that I own, with excellent quality picture and sound.

And the games, ohhhh the games. Halo is amazing, the graphics are truly awesome. Look down at the grass by your feet and it looks real! And it is so well designed and so highly addictive and playable. In Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, you can't believe your eyes in the movie scenes, the water looks real, every blade of grass blows in the wind individually, the lighting effects, shadows, textures, they are all so lifelike. In the game itself, there is an abundance of usage of these graphical enhancements, making it the one of the most graphically impressive games of the launch. Then there's Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing, Wreckless, Jet Set Radio Future... the list goes on. It's not just the graphics either, the sound is noticeably better (Halo has a dramatic orchestral score) and the fact that it supports 5.1 surround sound is awesome. Plus, loading times are quicker and less frequent than ever before. These games might not bring much in the way of new gameplay, but they are all shining examples in their own genres, lovingly put together and enhanced by the power of the Xbox.

And for those of you who think £299.99 is too high for the Xbox, I would remind you that PS2 is still £199.99 and has no built-in hard drive.

I'm not saying that I won't still enjoy replaying my old faves on the Dreamcast, or that I won't continue to enjoy many of the great new titles available on PS2, but after spending two wonderful weeks with my shiny new Xbox, I am wholly convinced that Microsoft have provided the technology needed to take console gaming to 'the next level', whatever that may be.

And I'm really glad I didn't believe the anti-hype.
Fri 05/04/02 at 20:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Either the Xbox or the demo disc have serious flaws. The ones in PC World and Currys (Starbeck, same building), and the one at the Dixons (Harrogate) were all running the demo disc and I had seen them all frozen (with control pads plugged in), not responding at all at least once, and I've only seen them a handful of times each. Now, this is probably either a fault with the disc's code, or Xbox overheating, I'm not sure, but it's definitely happening. Maybe it's pod-related only.
Fri 05/04/02 at 14:29
Regular
Doesn't matter what others say I guess, except it would be a shame if all these rumours put other people like myself who are interested in playing great games from giving the Xbox a chance.
Fri 05/04/02 at 14:25
Regular
"not dead"
The crashes rumour comes from demo's that crashed. I haven't heard one person say the console they own has crashed. The disc scratching thing I thought was mainly occuring with Japanese machines, but it's not effecting the data stored on the discs, so no problem.

It's true that early sales in Japan and Europe haven't been to the same scale as the success in the USA, but there is a great deal of third party support for the Xbox. But if you're enjoying your console, what does it matter what others say?

Hope you continue to enjoy it.
Fri 05/04/02 at 12:26
Regular
We've all been told a hundred times not to believe the hype, but in the case of the Xbox I've learned not to believe the anti-hype either. A lot of people have had it in for the Xbox ever since it was announced as a new console. I've heard all kinds of rumours about it.

How about that it crashes all the time, heard that one?

What about that it scratches the disks, heard that at all?

I even saw a faked article that was put on IGN, saying that Microsoft had no choice but to pull the Xbox out of the market due to a lack of sales and third party support!

Is any of this true? Well, as to the first two, I can't speak for what might have happened with early batches of the console, but the third one is blatantly untrue.

Microsoft had a very successful US launch and deservedly so, because the Xbox is something very special. Despite all the anti-hype, I bought one about two weeks ago. I have clocked up a good 40-50 hours of playing time since then and there hasn't been even a hint of a crash, nor any kind of disk scratching.

This is truly a next-generation console and it just oozes class from the moment you get it out of the box. The console looks nice (and it isn't that much bigger than a PS2 with a hard drive attached!) and the start-up menu screens are very futuristic looking, setting it apart from the others. And you know those huge controllers? They are actually really nice to use, very well-made and have extra long leads. The DVD player is better than the one that I own, with excellent quality picture and sound.

And the games, ohhhh the games. Halo is amazing, the graphics are truly awesome. Look down at the grass by your feet and it looks real! And it is so well designed and so highly addictive and playable. In Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, you can't believe your eyes in the movie scenes, the water looks real, every blade of grass blows in the wind individually, the lighting effects, shadows, textures, they are all so lifelike. In the game itself, there is an abundance of usage of these graphical enhancements, making it the one of the most graphically impressive games of the launch. Then there's Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing, Wreckless, Jet Set Radio Future... the list goes on. It's not just the graphics either, the sound is noticeably better (Halo has a dramatic orchestral score) and the fact that it supports 5.1 surround sound is awesome. Plus, loading times are quicker and less frequent than ever before. These games might not bring much in the way of new gameplay, but they are all shining examples in their own genres, lovingly put together and enhanced by the power of the Xbox.

And for those of you who think £299.99 is too high for the Xbox, I would remind you that PS2 is still £199.99 and has no built-in hard drive.

I'm not saying that I won't still enjoy replaying my old faves on the Dreamcast, or that I won't continue to enjoy many of the great new titles available on PS2, but after spending two wonderful weeks with my shiny new Xbox, I am wholly convinced that Microsoft have provided the technology needed to take console gaming to 'the next level', whatever that may be.

And I'm really glad I didn't believe the anti-hype.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.