GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Green Triangle Mystery"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/10/02 at 13:31
Regular
‘The Green Triangle mystery’ is probably one of the largest mysteries in the entire gaming industry. But what is ‘The Green Triangle mystery’ I hear you cry? Well many of you will have Gamecube’s with at least one Gamecube game. Now pick up the box of the Gamecube game and look down the side, at the top it reads ‘NINTENDO GAMECUBE’ in the middle it will have the game’s name e.g. ‘SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE’ and at the bottom is where the real mystery lays. There at the foot of the edge is a green triangle, just sitting there. What is it doing there? What is it planning? Why isn’t there a green triangle at the bottom of the X-box or PS2 games? That my friend is ‘The Green Triangle mystery’

Naturally when you hear ‘Green Triangle’ you think of Quality Street, so could this ever-so tasty chocolate snack is the reason for the triangle at the foot of all Cube game’s sides. What could it be trying to do? Is it just a cunning advertisement ploy with Nintendo and Quality Street? Possibly but then why aren’t Quality Street repaying the favor, I looked and looked and couldn’t spot a purple cube on the Quality Street box. So could it be that Quality Street know something about Nintendo that we don’t, are they blackmailing Nintendo with this secret that could destroy the company, and Nintendo are offering free advertisement in an attempt to stop them? After all the large green triangles have just been released, Quality Street must feel confident that their green triangles will sell with these extra free advertisement. And to add to the suspicion the other avalible large sweet just happens to be purple. But there is one fundamental flaw in this theory; the green triangle for Quality Street is an equilateral triangle whilst the one on the side of games are right-angled triangles. It is plausible that the Gamecube artists have made a mistake and forgot the way the Quality Street green triangle looks but I have serious doubts over that, so I move onto my next theory.

Well after typing in ‘The Green Triangle’ into a random search engine many websites came up. Including one for ‘The Green Triangle International’ (GTI). Whilst reading through the website I realized this came up quite a lot:

‘GTI is on the road to becoming a world leader in the waste management sector’

This worries me; do Nintendo have very little faith in their games? So little faith that they believe that it won’t be long before their fans chuck the games away? If this is the case then I’m horrified by the company’s stance but a little glad that they are being very environmental about it. The green triangle may signify this company and it appears that they try their hardest to dispose waste efficiently and safely, and if you were to throw out Super Mario Sunshine it is nice to know that it is being dealt with by the best people at ‘The Green Triangle International’. But the problem with this hypothesis is two fold, 1: Nintendo Gamecube games are awesome so who’d want to throw them out? And 2: GTI’s logo is again equilateral with yellow lettering and yellow lines shooting through it. Now maybe the old design team are up to know good again, but I doubt it and so yet again I will move on.

Now whilst investigating further on the net to solve the mystery of ‘The Green Triangle’ I discovered this quote:

‘During Nazi rule those thought to be a threat to the Fatherland were taken prisoner and placed in concentration camps. These prisoners were from many different social and cultural backgrounds. To distinguish between the prisoners, the Nazis used a system of colour-coded cloth badges. Jews were given yellow stars; half-Jews were given yellow triangles; feminists were given black triangles; Gypsies were given brown; and gay men, pink. The green triangle was given to 'common criminals' or those who had been convicted of minor crimes, including drug law violators.’

This is even more worrying! Could Nintendo really be a fascist dictatorship ready to follow in the footsteps of Hitler and start their own Master race of fat Italian plumbers with black hair and red hats? Could the green triangle be labeling the fact that playing these games makes you commit a minor crime and that you will be placed in a concentration camp when ‘the revolution’ comes to hand? Or is it just a wild and distant fantasy? With Yamauchi still in charge of the company I wouldn’t discard this possibility but with nice guy Iwati in charge then I can’t see any goose-stepping Mario’s coming out of Nintendo UK anytime soon. But then this could really be a disaster if it happened; Nintendo offices are located throughout the world, in Germany, China, Japan, America and the UK, they won’t have any trouble getting to the UK this time round because they’re all read here. And to add further stipulation to it all fans of Mario Tennis will remember that new star ‘Waluigi’ goose steps onto court…. And despite being a communist Mario does pose a striking resemblance to Stalin.

Yet this is ridiculous, Green Triangles represent pine wood companies, forest walks, electricity companies, National park safety… and hundreds more. I can’t look at all of these by myself so I decided to end it once and for all. I e-mailed Nintendo and didn’t get a response so I walked into my local games shop and inquired there and he responded with saying: “It is so you can distinguish the box from the other games both for factory purposes, our purposes and the consumers purpose”… now hang on here a minute. Do you honestly think I’m so stupid that I’d mix up a Gamecube game with the words ‘NINTENDO GAMECUBE’ splashed all over it for a PS2 one? And more to the point why make it a green triangle, why not a cube of varying colours? I remain skeptical but hey, at least ‘The Green Triangle mystery’ can be laid to rest.

Dringo.
Sat 12/10/02 at 13:31
Regular
‘The Green Triangle mystery’ is probably one of the largest mysteries in the entire gaming industry. But what is ‘The Green Triangle mystery’ I hear you cry? Well many of you will have Gamecube’s with at least one Gamecube game. Now pick up the box of the Gamecube game and look down the side, at the top it reads ‘NINTENDO GAMECUBE’ in the middle it will have the game’s name e.g. ‘SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE’ and at the bottom is where the real mystery lays. There at the foot of the edge is a green triangle, just sitting there. What is it doing there? What is it planning? Why isn’t there a green triangle at the bottom of the X-box or PS2 games? That my friend is ‘The Green Triangle mystery’

Naturally when you hear ‘Green Triangle’ you think of Quality Street, so could this ever-so tasty chocolate snack is the reason for the triangle at the foot of all Cube game’s sides. What could it be trying to do? Is it just a cunning advertisement ploy with Nintendo and Quality Street? Possibly but then why aren’t Quality Street repaying the favor, I looked and looked and couldn’t spot a purple cube on the Quality Street box. So could it be that Quality Street know something about Nintendo that we don’t, are they blackmailing Nintendo with this secret that could destroy the company, and Nintendo are offering free advertisement in an attempt to stop them? After all the large green triangles have just been released, Quality Street must feel confident that their green triangles will sell with these extra free advertisement. And to add to the suspicion the other avalible large sweet just happens to be purple. But there is one fundamental flaw in this theory; the green triangle for Quality Street is an equilateral triangle whilst the one on the side of games are right-angled triangles. It is plausible that the Gamecube artists have made a mistake and forgot the way the Quality Street green triangle looks but I have serious doubts over that, so I move onto my next theory.

Well after typing in ‘The Green Triangle’ into a random search engine many websites came up. Including one for ‘The Green Triangle International’ (GTI). Whilst reading through the website I realized this came up quite a lot:

‘GTI is on the road to becoming a world leader in the waste management sector’

This worries me; do Nintendo have very little faith in their games? So little faith that they believe that it won’t be long before their fans chuck the games away? If this is the case then I’m horrified by the company’s stance but a little glad that they are being very environmental about it. The green triangle may signify this company and it appears that they try their hardest to dispose waste efficiently and safely, and if you were to throw out Super Mario Sunshine it is nice to know that it is being dealt with by the best people at ‘The Green Triangle International’. But the problem with this hypothesis is two fold, 1: Nintendo Gamecube games are awesome so who’d want to throw them out? And 2: GTI’s logo is again equilateral with yellow lettering and yellow lines shooting through it. Now maybe the old design team are up to know good again, but I doubt it and so yet again I will move on.

Now whilst investigating further on the net to solve the mystery of ‘The Green Triangle’ I discovered this quote:

‘During Nazi rule those thought to be a threat to the Fatherland were taken prisoner and placed in concentration camps. These prisoners were from many different social and cultural backgrounds. To distinguish between the prisoners, the Nazis used a system of colour-coded cloth badges. Jews were given yellow stars; half-Jews were given yellow triangles; feminists were given black triangles; Gypsies were given brown; and gay men, pink. The green triangle was given to 'common criminals' or those who had been convicted of minor crimes, including drug law violators.’

This is even more worrying! Could Nintendo really be a fascist dictatorship ready to follow in the footsteps of Hitler and start their own Master race of fat Italian plumbers with black hair and red hats? Could the green triangle be labeling the fact that playing these games makes you commit a minor crime and that you will be placed in a concentration camp when ‘the revolution’ comes to hand? Or is it just a wild and distant fantasy? With Yamauchi still in charge of the company I wouldn’t discard this possibility but with nice guy Iwati in charge then I can’t see any goose-stepping Mario’s coming out of Nintendo UK anytime soon. But then this could really be a disaster if it happened; Nintendo offices are located throughout the world, in Germany, China, Japan, America and the UK, they won’t have any trouble getting to the UK this time round because they’re all read here. And to add further stipulation to it all fans of Mario Tennis will remember that new star ‘Waluigi’ goose steps onto court…. And despite being a communist Mario does pose a striking resemblance to Stalin.

Yet this is ridiculous, Green Triangles represent pine wood companies, forest walks, electricity companies, National park safety… and hundreds more. I can’t look at all of these by myself so I decided to end it once and for all. I e-mailed Nintendo and didn’t get a response so I walked into my local games shop and inquired there and he responded with saying: “It is so you can distinguish the box from the other games both for factory purposes, our purposes and the consumers purpose”… now hang on here a minute. Do you honestly think I’m so stupid that I’d mix up a Gamecube game with the words ‘NINTENDO GAMECUBE’ splashed all over it for a PS2 one? And more to the point why make it a green triangle, why not a cube of varying colours? I remain skeptical but hey, at least ‘The Green Triangle mystery’ can be laid to rest.

Dringo.
Sat 12/10/02 at 13:40
Regular
Brilliant.
Sat 12/10/02 at 14:17
Regular
Ditto.

What are you gonna claim for that then? :)
Sat 12/10/02 at 14:19
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I suggest Operation Flashpoint, if your comuter can handle it. Otherwise, just buy that and claim Timeslpitters 2. Great post btw.
Sat 12/10/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Heh, excellent Dringo. The green triangles go way back though, to the ra of the SNES, even possibly the NES! I'll just go look at some of my NES games. I think i saw one on the legend of Zelda.

:)
Sat 12/10/02 at 16:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
What was the outcome. Is it some sort of alien conspiracy? I wish. Hypnotise us all with triangles.
Sat 12/10/02 at 17:16
"The Will of D."
gerrid wrote:
> What was the outcome. Is it some sort of alien conspiracy? I wish.
> Hypnotise us all with triangles.
It's to force us to conserve energy by using one of Nintendo's machines, because the PS, PS2 and Xbox probably waste a lot of energy during their usage. Take Xbox's giving off heat thing, this wastes energy.
Sat 12/10/02 at 19:06
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
maybe they just like green triangles ... may ... be ...

great post by the way , i suggest you claim some kind of game , possibly one with a green triangle , so you can delve even further into ... "The Green Triangle Mystery"tm
Sat 12/10/02 at 20:39
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Actually the reason for the Green Triangles is a "European" thing appearing on boxes of Nintendo Games in PAL format. Because Europe has many Languages the Triangle is to distinguish what sort of translation the game has.
For instance, If I can remember correctly the Green Triangle lets Distributors know that the game is English Language only, the Purple (Or Red) Triangle lets them know if it has more than one language option.
Sun 13/10/02 at 14:26
Regular
Gollum wrote:
> Actually the reason for the Green Triangles is a "European"
> thing appearing on boxes of Nintendo Games in PAL format. Because
> Europe has many Languages the Triangle is to distinguish what sort of
> translation the game has.
> For instance, If I can remember correctly the Green Triangle lets
> Distributors know that the game is English Language only, the Purple
> (Or Red) Triangle lets them know if it has more than one language
> option.

So why doesn't PS2 and X-box do it? And why did my evil shop keeper friend lie to me.... it's a consipiracy I tell you... Nazi Nintendoids i believe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.