GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Mario Galaxy'.
Sat 01/12/07 at 23:06
Regular
""none""
Super Mario Galaxy the latest installment in the series, and which I think is the best in the series. SMG is a 3D Mario game unlike the most Mario has appeared in. This is Mario's third time venturing into the depths of 3D graphics, first was Super Mario 64, then Sunshine, now this. Has Nintendo succeeded in delivering another compelling 3D Mario game?

Story

All past Mario games have revolved around Bowsers failed attempts at kidnapping Princess Peach, and this is another one of them, only his reasons are different.
This time around Mario is forced to set out on a quest to venture multiple galaxies to rescue his beloved Princess Peach. As with all other 3D Mario games the events of Princess Peach's abduction lead up to you meeting with a new species. This games species is the Luma.

Apart from you rescuing the Princess, entering a new location and battling Bowser, the games mechanics are totally different. Different location, different graphics and most of all different GAMEPLAY!

Graphics

The games graphics are really something special. I think this game shows the Wii's full potential graphically. The character designs are simple, yet very detailed. For example Mario's overalls seem to have been retouched with small bits of detail implanted into it.

One of the most noticing graphical improvements are the amazing lighting and shadowing effects, which to simply put it amazes me. A small part of me thinks this amazement is due to not much being expected graphics-wise from this game. But I was definitely wrong.

The game has implemented a lot of detail, comets, stars, planet models and textures. It really set the scene as you explore the universe.

Sound

MUSIC. This games music makes such an impact; it's also at times therapeutic. Some of the music from the game was from the original Super Mario, just retouched to make it more dynamic. The music definitely adds to games cinematic feel.

They have also added small touches of voice acting. Nintendo seem to be going a different direction, looking back at Twilight Princess, which had the same type of voice acting, this is definitely better and brightens up the game.
Mario's voice is just the same as with all the other games, so not to worry.

Gameplay

Very addictive gameplay, which is challenging and fun at the same time, which is something don’t see a lot these days. The games basic concept is travelling from galaxy to galaxy finding stars. The galaxies you enter have small planets amongst them, where you will most likely have to solve a puzzles or task, and/or defeat a boss. The galaxies may also have their own gimmick, for example ice, water, fire ect.

When you do get a chance to battle either Bowser or Bowser Junior, it won't be disappointing. You’ll look forward to the battles between you and them, as you’ll want to see what’ll happen in the fight next.

There is one thing I think they could improve on, which is the camera. It’s quiet annoying and confusing at times, when it moves automatically for you.

Also the game kind of lacked in the Wii’s motion sensor controls. And when some bits did take advantage of the motion sensing it was very awkward. For example the surfing was quiet annoying, as it made you point your Wiimote vertically and surf and tilt it to move left or right. It was very sensitive as it reacted to every little movement. It’d have been easier on the player if they had you hold your Wiimote horizontally.

Replay Value

It's not the type of game that can be played over, as most of the puzzles you'd know how to figure out and going through everything again is just pointless. Completing the game requires you to complete 60 galaxies which takes quiet long and will surely take you a long time to complete. But when you do complete it and your still craving more, you get can collect another 60 stars and venture different and unique galaxies.

This game is a truly beautiful game, which is one of the main reasons to own a Wii.

9/10

[b][u]
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 01/12/07 at 23:06
Regular
""none""
Super Mario Galaxy the latest installment in the series, and which I think is the best in the series. SMG is a 3D Mario game unlike the most Mario has appeared in. This is Mario's third time venturing into the depths of 3D graphics, first was Super Mario 64, then Sunshine, now this. Has Nintendo succeeded in delivering another compelling 3D Mario game?

Story

All past Mario games have revolved around Bowsers failed attempts at kidnapping Princess Peach, and this is another one of them, only his reasons are different.
This time around Mario is forced to set out on a quest to venture multiple galaxies to rescue his beloved Princess Peach. As with all other 3D Mario games the events of Princess Peach's abduction lead up to you meeting with a new species. This games species is the Luma.

Apart from you rescuing the Princess, entering a new location and battling Bowser, the games mechanics are totally different. Different location, different graphics and most of all different GAMEPLAY!

Graphics

The games graphics are really something special. I think this game shows the Wii's full potential graphically. The character designs are simple, yet very detailed. For example Mario's overalls seem to have been retouched with small bits of detail implanted into it.

One of the most noticing graphical improvements are the amazing lighting and shadowing effects, which to simply put it amazes me. A small part of me thinks this amazement is due to not much being expected graphics-wise from this game. But I was definitely wrong.

The game has implemented a lot of detail, comets, stars, planet models and textures. It really set the scene as you explore the universe.

Sound

MUSIC. This games music makes such an impact; it's also at times therapeutic. Some of the music from the game was from the original Super Mario, just retouched to make it more dynamic. The music definitely adds to games cinematic feel.

They have also added small touches of voice acting. Nintendo seem to be going a different direction, looking back at Twilight Princess, which had the same type of voice acting, this is definitely better and brightens up the game.
Mario's voice is just the same as with all the other games, so not to worry.

Gameplay

Very addictive gameplay, which is challenging and fun at the same time, which is something don’t see a lot these days. The games basic concept is travelling from galaxy to galaxy finding stars. The galaxies you enter have small planets amongst them, where you will most likely have to solve a puzzles or task, and/or defeat a boss. The galaxies may also have their own gimmick, for example ice, water, fire ect.

When you do get a chance to battle either Bowser or Bowser Junior, it won't be disappointing. You’ll look forward to the battles between you and them, as you’ll want to see what’ll happen in the fight next.

There is one thing I think they could improve on, which is the camera. It’s quiet annoying and confusing at times, when it moves automatically for you.

Also the game kind of lacked in the Wii’s motion sensor controls. And when some bits did take advantage of the motion sensing it was very awkward. For example the surfing was quiet annoying, as it made you point your Wiimote vertically and surf and tilt it to move left or right. It was very sensitive as it reacted to every little movement. It’d have been easier on the player if they had you hold your Wiimote horizontally.

Replay Value

It's not the type of game that can be played over, as most of the puzzles you'd know how to figure out and going through everything again is just pointless. Completing the game requires you to complete 60 galaxies which takes quiet long and will surely take you a long time to complete. But when you do complete it and your still craving more, you get can collect another 60 stars and venture different and unique galaxies.

This game is a truly beautiful game, which is one of the main reasons to own a Wii.

9/10

[b][u]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.