GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So - What has it come to?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/10/02 at 10:36
Regular
So what has it come to?

I think I have finally seen the evils behind the innocent world of computer games. These are not the evils that you get while playing a Barbara Streisand record backwards, oh no, these are economic evils, which is the evilest I’m not sure, but I will continue.
I was in school, not listening as usual, when the teacher told us to write an assignment, which held the sacred words, “Computer games.” At first I was overwhelmed but when I found out the true aim of the task I was devastated. We had to investigate whether violence in computer games is responsible for behavioural disorders, unnecessary violence and disobedience in teenagers. I knew I could answer this question very easily, “No” but I was told I had to extent my essay; after all, it was part of my GCSE in English.
It seems that countries which have an alarming number of teenage crime, suicide, murder, violence amongst other things, like to blame this violence, not on the government, not even on the parents! But they go ahead and blame the games. How dare they! I don’t want to offend a particular nation, but America, be reasonable! My sympathy goes out to the poor people who were injured, killed or involved in any high school shootings, but let me reason with you. America has about 20 million children in its education system currently, perhaps more. How can anyone think all 20 million of them are going to be sane, calm, God-loving citizens? There is people who are classified as ‘mad’ and nothing can change that. I do agree with them as far as the child could have been bullied and flipped out and in anger turned a gun on their fellow pupils and eventually themselves however I don’t agree they spend every night playing ‘Silent Scope 2’ to improve their marksmanship. I am sure that if you looked at most teenage boys computer game collection you are bound to find Shooting and action games, after all it is a very popular genre.
The police, FBI, or whoever investigate these crimes immediately see a violent computer game and use it as a scapegoat to avoid doing their job correctly. It is unreasonable and the gaming industry who spends months, if not years creating games to entertain the public and give the people the gaming pleasure they rightfully deserve. Computer games are, in my view, an escape from reality. They allow you to be whoever you want to be, James bond or Mario. Gaming is a form of relaxation, an activity to occupy your spare time. If they plan to get rid of violent video games, what will be next on the chopping block? Action movies? Toy guns for children? I am aware I keep saying this but it is entirely unreasonable!
With the computer games industry fast becoming one of the largest in the world can the government or any other authority think they can close them down without causing strikes, riots and many demonstrations? I for one will protest should they try to rid the world of violent video games, I know there are many game manufacturers who have supplied me with hours upon hours of quality entertainment who face closure if the authorities want rid of violent games.
I urge the sceptics to accept that violent games are as much a part of the community as the movie industry, the leisure industry or the sports industry. If they intend on getting rid of violent games then I am sure than violent sports are going out of the window too, and formula 1 racing has got to go because they might crash and make the audience crash on the way home!
Life is full of influences, and 99.9999% of people are able to differentiate from what happens on the screen and what happens in reality. Please don’t let the 0.0001% spoil the gaming world for those who love it.
Sun 13/10/02 at 19:56
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
contraditcion rather than irony. If theres a difference....
Sun 13/10/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
J $@v0 wrote:
> You will soon get noticed if you do good enough posts, not bad for
> you're first post though

Anyone else getting the sheer irony of this sentence ?

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 13/10/02 at 19:52
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
J $@v0 wrote:
> You will soon get noticed if you do good enough posts, not bad for
> you're first post though

Thanks alot, I want a GAD prize! lol. And the forums are fun!
Sun 13/10/02 at 19:48
Regular
"C'Mon Feel The Love"
You will soon get noticed if you do good enough posts, not bad for you're first post though
Sun 13/10/02 at 19:45
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I replied to try and get this post noticed. I want opinions!
Sun 13/10/02 at 11:20
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Thanks for the advice belldandy - Its my first post
Sun 13/10/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Nowadays it is not just kids who are playing games, averae ages for console owners now are probably about 18-25. When an adult does something wrong - murders someone, hurts someone, abuses someone, no one blames that on games or tv or likewise, there are always other excuses e.g. "My client was feeling deep sadness over the death of his pet dog ten years ago" or some other tripe.

No one in the press questions such blatantly poor reasons which are mainly made to lessen a criminal sentence.

Yet when a teenage goes nuts and does something then they can't use excuses like that, there has to be some third party - like games, music e.t.c - anything but society, parents, schools and the like. Everyone i looking for some big thing to blame for an "innocent" kid doing something bad.

Good post by the way, helps if you space out your paragraphs though ;)

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:36
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
So what has it come to?

I think I have finally seen the evils behind the innocent world of computer games. These are not the evils that you get while playing a Barbara Streisand record backwards, oh no, these are economic evils, which is the evilest I’m not sure, but I will continue.
I was in school, not listening as usual, when the teacher told us to write an assignment, which held the sacred words, “Computer games.” At first I was overwhelmed but when I found out the true aim of the task I was devastated. We had to investigate whether violence in computer games is responsible for behavioural disorders, unnecessary violence and disobedience in teenagers. I knew I could answer this question very easily, “No” but I was told I had to extent my essay; after all, it was part of my GCSE in English.
It seems that countries which have an alarming number of teenage crime, suicide, murder, violence amongst other things, like to blame this violence, not on the government, not even on the parents! But they go ahead and blame the games. How dare they! I don’t want to offend a particular nation, but America, be reasonable! My sympathy goes out to the poor people who were injured, killed or involved in any high school shootings, but let me reason with you. America has about 20 million children in its education system currently, perhaps more. How can anyone think all 20 million of them are going to be sane, calm, God-loving citizens? There is people who are classified as ‘mad’ and nothing can change that. I do agree with them as far as the child could have been bullied and flipped out and in anger turned a gun on their fellow pupils and eventually themselves however I don’t agree they spend every night playing ‘Silent Scope 2’ to improve their marksmanship. I am sure that if you looked at most teenage boys computer game collection you are bound to find Shooting and action games, after all it is a very popular genre.
The police, FBI, or whoever investigate these crimes immediately see a violent computer game and use it as a scapegoat to avoid doing their job correctly. It is unreasonable and the gaming industry who spends months, if not years creating games to entertain the public and give the people the gaming pleasure they rightfully deserve. Computer games are, in my view, an escape from reality. They allow you to be whoever you want to be, James bond or Mario. Gaming is a form of relaxation, an activity to occupy your spare time. If they plan to get rid of violent video games, what will be next on the chopping block? Action movies? Toy guns for children? I am aware I keep saying this but it is entirely unreasonable!
With the computer games industry fast becoming one of the largest in the world can the government or any other authority think they can close them down without causing strikes, riots and many demonstrations? I for one will protest should they try to rid the world of violent video games, I know there are many game manufacturers who have supplied me with hours upon hours of quality entertainment who face closure if the authorities want rid of violent games.
I urge the sceptics to accept that violent games are as much a part of the community as the movie industry, the leisure industry or the sports industry. If they intend on getting rid of violent games then I am sure than violent sports are going out of the window too, and formula 1 racing has got to go because they might crash and make the audience crash on the way home!
Life is full of influences, and 99.9999% of people are able to differentiate from what happens on the screen and what happens in reality. Please don’t let the 0.0001% spoil the gaming world for those who love it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.