GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Defining Characters"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/10/02 at 17:37
Regular
I have decided , since everyone is doing defining moments, that i would do defining characters,so here are some of the characters that I think have brought this ‘new era’ of gaming to the peak it has achieved. These characters have started and will im sure continue to shape the way we look at games forever.

1. Donkey Kong:

Good old D.K came roaring (and making various other sounds whilst beating his chest) on to our screens as just a little chimp in 1981 or rather our arcade screens as the original was only on such machines to start with. This game was instantly a hit with its innovative level design and graphics it was an inspiration to all games designers and players alike. But after 21 years surely D.K’s appeal would fade or so you’d think, in 1999 rare released D.K 64 with the most memorable thing (aside from the stunning visuals and intricate level designing) was the annoyingly well annoying theme tune.So D.K is the first and perhaps the most influential character that is in this topic.

2. Super Mario

The second character in the line up and the second to come from Nintendo Mario was always a hit from the Nes version right up to the new gamecube version, his scaredy-cat nature and his black ‘tash have mesmerised gamers. The new super mario sunshine must be the game to have on gamecube but mario is not alone his even weedier brother luigi had his first solo appearance making up a big part of the G.C start line-up in ‘luigi’s mansion’ so there number two.

3. Sonic

This spiky hared blue rouge (accompanied by his 2 tailed pal tails) hit our screens on the sega Saturn and he’s still going strong despite the fact that the dreamcast’s life was fated sonic lived on with sonic adventure battle coming out on the UK launch day for G.C and sonic adventure battle 1 and 2 available now on gameboy advance sonic has a lot of life to live yet and good for him as it would be a loss to the industry if he were to go.

4. Laura Croft

Now Laura may not have been around as long as sonic and let alone D.K but she was just has influential as them her first appearance was in Tomb Raider for psx in 1997 since then she has gone from strength to strength with edios going from psx to p.c to ps2 this feisty girl has been the ‘self confessed’ sex god of gaming appealing to gamers and non gamers alike she was a sure fire success from the start. And now 6 years on she is just as popular with the recent box office hit Tomb Raider (the film) starring Angelina Jo-lee 6 ft tall card board cut outs are not at all uncommon in boy’s and men’s bedrooms alike. She will continue to linger around on our consoles for at least a few years yet.

5. Tony Hawk

In my opinion the worst group of games in this topic but as it is defining characters he really has to get a place with a new contract signed meaning that if hi games keep going out like they are now we will soon have Tony Hawks pro skater 14. Easily the most successful extreme sports games the Hawks series have taught us all the difference between an ‘ollie’ and a ‘Rock and Roll’ and taught us that an ‘Egg Plant’ isn’t just a plant. This game doesn’t seem however to appeal to such a wide variety of gamers the most popular age being around 14 in my guess (with the obvious few exceptions).This is a character who we know will keep going for at least a few years but surely this fad has to end soon?

6. Strider Hiryu

I doubt if many of you will remember the stunning arcade game Strider that hit our arcades in 1989 and although this was the only game Hiryu featured in it was defining with Capcom bringing a ‘novel twist’ to the largely popular martial arts theme by introducing the highly futuristic ninja Strider but that wasn’t all that made Strider memorable it was the beautiful combination of colourful backdrops and graceful audio effects that really gave this game a place in history and Strider Hiryu a place in this post. So that just goes to show you don’t need a whole series of games to revolutionise gaming just one high tech ninja.

So there they are the characters who I think have brought gaming to what it is and the characters who will keep it going strong for years to come. There are other games that have changed things but these are the people who I think have done the most. If any of you would like to put your favorite characters and the reasons why they are defining please feel free as this is of course a chat forum.

Thanks for reading

R.C
Wed 16/10/02 at 12:02
doncha think??
Mon 14/10/02 at 18:19
Bazzman wrote:
> in DKC you are actually DK JNR, Kranky Kong is the original DK...
> **thanx to Nintendo.com 1993**

Good researching skills bazzman but you must agree DK is truly a hero
Mon 14/10/02 at 18:03
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
in DKC you are actually DK JNR, Kranky Kong is the original DK...
**thanx to Nintendo.com 1993**
Mon 14/10/02 at 17:59
gerrid wrote:
> I would say that the use of his liscence has defined the genre, rather
> than him. Seeing as the game featured multiple characters, you
> couldn't attribute the games success solely to him, even though he was
> used for the marketing.

True.
Mon 14/10/02 at 17:46
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I would say that the use of his liscence has defined the genre, rather than him. Seeing as the game featured multiple characters, you couldn't attribute the games success solely to him, even though he was used for the marketing.
Mon 14/10/02 at 17:40
Regular
Rabbit Killer wrote:
> auf deutsch wrote:
> I wouldn't say Tony Hawks as a character has defined games but the
> genre certainly has...
>
> Good point but id still class it as the character which is the
> defining one.

True...he has defined the skateboarding genre
Mon 14/10/02 at 12:23
auf deutsch wrote:
> I wouldn't say Tony Hawks as a character has defined games but the
> genre certainly has...

Good point but id still class it as the character which is the defining one.
Sun 13/10/02 at 22:32
Regular
I wouldn't say Tony Hawks as a character has defined games but the genre certainly has...
Sun 13/10/02 at 20:35
ok any new readers forget the laura croft bit you know what i meant!
Sun 13/10/02 at 18:21
Reynolds wrote:
> Great post Rabbit Killer.
>
> Except for the Laura Croft bit.

Thanks and i have no idea why i put that *sits in shame* :-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.