GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Console Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/04/02 at 17:37
Regular
I worry about the future of online console gaming in this country.

What reason do any of the console producers have to make online gaming a reality in this country? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dreamcast's online ability was a relative failure, wasn't it?

The other disappointing fact is that *if* online gaming makes it to this country, it's unlikely to be broadband enabled (at least to start with) - the current broadband infrastructure isn't available at a cheap enough price yet in this country, and in reality there is such a small number of broadband users in this country already, that any attempt to launch broadband console gaming would proably fail.

So what does this mean? In my opinion, online console gaming is likely to be limited to 56k to start with - and with the lag and poor performance of PC games at 56k, what's the point in that?

I believe the success of online gaming in this country will be dependent upon one of the console producers investing SERIOUS ammounts of cash in to one of the broadband providers, thus enabling the cost of broadband to be reduced, and therefore encourage the uptake of broadband. Until then, I don't see a future for online console gaming in the UK.
Thu 04/04/02 at 17:37
I worry about the future of online console gaming in this country.

What reason do any of the console producers have to make online gaming a reality in this country? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dreamcast's online ability was a relative failure, wasn't it?

The other disappointing fact is that *if* online gaming makes it to this country, it's unlikely to be broadband enabled (at least to start with) - the current broadband infrastructure isn't available at a cheap enough price yet in this country, and in reality there is such a small number of broadband users in this country already, that any attempt to launch broadband console gaming would proably fail.

So what does this mean? In my opinion, online console gaming is likely to be limited to 56k to start with - and with the lag and poor performance of PC games at 56k, what's the point in that?

I believe the success of online gaming in this country will be dependent upon one of the console producers investing SERIOUS ammounts of cash in to one of the broadband providers, thus enabling the cost of broadband to be reduced, and therefore encourage the uptake of broadband. Until then, I don't see a future for online console gaming in the UK.
Fri 05/04/02 at 10:05
Regular
"Link to the Future"
I don't think there should be a future in on-line console gaming. Sure, playing games on-line would be great, but it would be too much of a risk for the console manufactuers.

What I mean is why should they create on on-line gaming capability, which will cost a lot of money, when that will only cater for a very, very small amount of the gaming population, when they could be catering for the whole of the population.

The console manufactuers should wait until the broadband capability becomes much, much more widely used before stepping into the on-line gaming market. Until then split-screen multi-player games seem to be the way forward.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.