GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The beginning of the end."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/10/02 at 17:58
Regular
Note this may become really long but ill try and keep it as interesting as possible, sorry :)

If you read this you will see how much the last gen consoles make to the gen console after them, does this mean GC will get better next gen and that Xbox will get worse, time will tell.

Snes and mega drive era.

If we all remember back to the days of when it was just Nintendo and Sega I think we would all agree that it was on a massive high for computer gamers, with the SNES doing so well and bringing console gaming to homes around the world.

N64, Saturn and PS1 era

Then the Saturn and N64 had a new rival, the PS1.
During this time Saturn went downhill and stop being made about half way through the console wars.
N64 was on a downfall to with games like goldeneye and Mario selling the console, later with Zelda, perfect dark and banjo to sell even more. Then for an “extra” income the pokemon on the GB made Nintendo able to come out with their wallets unhurt, and just their pride.
PS1 was selling like hot cakes, and still are.

The most important thing in this era was that games were now recognised in a big scale with Sony, a well know company, joining in. This maybe why it sold as well as people knew them when Nintendo and Sega were basically unheard of in the “real” world.
Also it showed Nintendo what they were doing wrong, such as not thinking of 3rd party developers.
Also it showed Sega that they needed to do something, soon.

Also the start of exclusive games began, sure Nintendo and rare were exclusive but they were the only ones, the only ones big enough anyway.
But soon games such as Final fantasy, GT, GTA, MGS and resi evil (all on PS1) showed how they were needed.

GC, Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox era

Dreamcast was first out, but due to the lack of sales of the Saturn many people avoided it at all costs incase the same happened, and it did.
PS2 was then released and due to them being out before GC and Xbox, and the success of the PS1 nearly everyone brought one.
The GC was then released, this showed the new Nintendo with them getting rid of the cartridge based games and opting for CD type. Also with a good launch line up, missing Mario which must of made the sales lower than they would have been.
Xbox was the new comer, and to be blunt didn’t do that well at all, maybe due to people knowing more about Nintendo and PS1.

Most important thing in this era so far are that exclusive games are becoming more regular.
Microsoft now has rare, which is sure to give them a boost if the games are as good as the games on the N64. But who else have they got? Capcom were on the cards at one stage.
Microsoft has a plan to get as many rare games out as quick as possible, but will that wreak the games?
PS2 at the start had many, MGS2, Final fantasy, Resi evil, GTA and GT. But resi evil then went to GC and so did final fantasy. GT and GTA, both the 3rd in the sequels, were big games. With MGS2 being good, but not as good as expected.
Nintendo has them, and with games such as Mario and Zelda soon to be released will boost the sales again. Also with the “renting” out of mascots like Starfox to Namco might make more people go for the GC with Nintendo helping them, as they do. And metriod prime to their already exclusive developer might put them on the map and make another great develop only on GC

GC2, Xbox2 and PS3 era (subject to change)

Xbox 2 this will happen no matter what as bill gates wont care about the money as long as they look like they came out unhurt form the last console wars (this one in other words)
GC2 after a bit of rubbish translating it looks like the GC2 is still on the cards, and maybe with some more exclusive developers.
PS3 once again looking to be out first. This might sell better or worse then the PS2 depending if they can get any more good games out before the end of its life.

All in all I think that the GC2, Xbox and PS3 era will be the biggest, not because of the power of the console, but because Nintendo is all about the games, while Sony and Microsoft are more about the money side of the things, such as buying developers and better internet connection etc.
Mon 14/10/02 at 18:40
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
when the next next gen consoles come out will the hype be based upon the "bits" of the rivals, will they remain 128 bit machines with more ram, faster processors continuing the nintendo then microsoft proclaiming to have the most powerfull console on the planet.
Or will the hype be along the lines of the battle of faster chips, microsoft with their intels, nintendo with IBM and sony with their emotion chips and custom made graphics cards all boasting the greater polygon count.....
and how will sony try to top their "3rd place" adverts?

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Mon 14/10/02 at 18:25
Regular
I still have retro gear :c)

Head to retro forum to see the full list.
Mon 14/10/02 at 18:01
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Boz wrote:
> Yeah but how come many people in their 30+ only got intrested in
> computer games in the PS1 and N64 era?

They did'nt... they only got -re-introduced to them in the PS1 era...

In the UK especially... During the mid-late eighties computers were purely for geeks... Consoles pretty much vanished from the public eye until the SNES and Megadrive... And even then, they were seen as kids toys rather than adult entertainment...

It was'nt until Sony started marketing the PS1 to the 20-somethings that people were re-introduced to console gaming as an acceptable passtime
Mon 14/10/02 at 17:57
how old are you boz seeing as you dont seem to know much about the snes and nes e.t.c
Mon 14/10/02 at 17:52
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:

> Consoles took off in the seventies... The Atari, Intellivision, etc..
> systems were HUGE sellers, and household names (they still are).

Yeah but how come many people in their 30+ only got intrested in computer games in the PS1 and N64 era?

you see i was made to do a rubbish survey in key skills and one of the quetions i asked was:
When did you get in to computer games? (after asking if they knew about them)
on average:
1-10 : GC, PS2, DC and XBOX
11-16 : PS1, N64, saturn
17-20 : PS1, N64, saturn.... this was very close with SNES era begining about 10 votes behind.
21-30 : SNES
31-40 : PS1
41-50 : computer games?
51-60 : computer games?
61 + : computer games?

The main reasons were.... from about 1-30 mates had them...after that it was due to kids wanting them.
Sun 13/10/02 at 20:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Belldandy wrote:
> Boz wrote:
> But at the time gaming wasnt that big, and in my mind, and the minds
> of my freinds, consoles only took off in the N64 and PS1 era due to
> sony being a big name anyway.
>
> Consoles took off with Megadrive and SNES, these two only built on the
> success - games like Sonic and Super Mario brought consoles towards
> the mainstream.

Consoles took off in the seventies... The Atari, Intellivision, etc.. systems were HUGE sellers, and household names (they still are).
Sun 13/10/02 at 20:09
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Yeah, my point exactly.....
Sun 13/10/02 at 20:07
Regular
Belldandy wrote:

> Do you suppose if they leave rare will make games on PC? >
> Nintendo have made it clear that they could have retained Rare

i meant do you suppose if microsoft do bad will they put rare games on pc to have the "extra" income.

also thanks for the other info Belldandy.
Sun 13/10/02 at 19:01
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Boz wrote:
> Do you suppose if they leave rare will make games on PC? or make them
> for it anyway?

Nintendo have made it clear that they could have retained Rare, but they didn't. Nintendo has been in the game a lot longer and had more success than Microsoft, they dumped Rare for a reason...like maybe 4 year development times and Rare's snale pace attitude ?

> But at the time gaming wasnt that big, and in my mind, and the minds
> of my freinds, consoles only took off in the N64 and PS1 era due to
> sony being a big name anyway.

Consoles took off with Megadrive and SNES, these two only built on the success - games like Sonic and Super Mario brought consoles towards the mainstream.

> But i dont think they thought sony was that big a threat until it was
> too late and games which are big were only on PS1.

The actual games Nintendo had sold well, it wasn't so much the fact Sony had the big games, it was the fact that Nintendo treated Europe and the USA as the poor relation - late Western translations led to a lack of games.....and the use of a cartridge. Even so, games like Perfect Dark excel past most stuff Sony could do, alongside Mario Kart, Mario 64 and Zelda. Sony were in effect selling a different kind of gaming than Nintendo, it appealed more to the mass market but wasn't necessarily a better kind of gaming than Nintendo's - mass appeal isn't always great.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 13/10/02 at 18:48
Regular
Belldandy wrote:

> Microsoft knows PCs well

Do you suppose if they leave rare will make games on PC? or make them for it anyway?

> Incidentally Metal Gear and Final Fantasy were originally NES
> exclusives

But at the time gaming wasnt that big, and in my mind, and the minds of my freinds, consoles only took off in the N64 and PS1 era due to sony being a big name anyway.

> I don't think anyone can say
> Nintendo didn't appreciate the value of exclusives !

But i dont think they thought sony was that big a threat until it was too late and games which are big were only on PS1.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.