GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's In A Name ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/10/02 at 19:23
Regular
Every one of us on these forums has something in common you know. What is it ? We've all chosen a user name.

Look at them all, there's names from about every show, game, music and loads of other sources.

But does what we call ourselves matter, do we treat people differently depending on names and how they look ? Look at how much flak master chief took because his name used to be spelt wrong. Yankee Doodle managed to offend everyone going and his name clearly linked to what he put on the forums. Similarly, nearly every person who uses what clearly looks like a girls name is suspected of being either male or a regular playing around. Sure, after time they are usually left alone, but whilst JAT's a lot of people are suspicious.

Do we choose names because we like them, or because what that name is say something to others ? Mystique is (I'm pretty sure) named after the X Men character, we used to have Marshall Mathers (Eminem obviously) Anubis (Stargate) and there are tons more, some I don't even know where they've come from. Lots of people have user names that, if you don't know where they are from, don't say a lot about the people using them.

Come to think of it, no one uses there real name do they ? Unless there really is someone called oinks....

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 14/10/02 at 19:24
Regular
"Ghetto Fabulous"
Belldandy thats a weird post
Mon 14/10/02 at 19:04
Regular
"I like cheese"
Letters?
Mon 14/10/02 at 17:13
Regular
I started as Dan (which is more or less my real name. It's missing an "iel" at the end though.), but changed it to Dan uk when it turned out that someone already had Dan. (two people were allowed to have the same name back then, naturally, it ended up in complete confusion and priceless hilarity).

Then I felt like having a bit more character, so I created Strafex.
Instead of having a name after an existing character, I made Strafex to be defined by me, so when I actually get this character a name (which I will be someday), people will see Strafex and think of me, rather than see me and think of Strafex! :-)
Mon 14/10/02 at 16:53
Or†ega wrote:
>
> I took a liking to him after he headbutted the Dutch keeper in France
> 98. Got meself a Argentina shirt with "ortega 10" on the
> back straight away...

Not forgetting he is a world class player of course. (:)
Mon 14/10/02 at 16:17
"The Will of D."
Semajal wrote:
> ^Anubis^ wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> >Anubis (Stargate)
> How'd you guess? I suppose my previous tagline gave it away though.
>
> heh you kids, anubis actually origionally ancient egypt, nicked by
> stargate. But stargate rules so no real objections.
Cool we should talk in the Tv forum. I had heard of all these Egyptian names though before Stargate but it didn't interest me until that program. It rocks, are you watching the new eps on SKYONE? They are the best ones ever!
Mon 14/10/02 at 11:41
Regular
Take a guess.
Mon 14/10/02 at 11:40
Regular
"Remember me?"
Dark Mark? I nicked that from NGC Magazine. Although, my name really is Mark... and the Dark bit conveys a certain sense of irony, which people who know me quite well will agree.
Mon 14/10/02 at 11:18
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Mine is from a certain character in South Park
Mon 14/10/02 at 09:19
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Semajal wrote:
> heh you kids, anubis actually origionally ancient egypt, nicked by
> stargate. But stargate rules so no real objections.

:) I did know it was originally an Egyptian God, but I was pretty sure he'd taken the influence from Stargate. Even so, it's pretty amazing to think that what the Egyptians called a god thousands of years ago is a name someone still uses today !

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 13/10/02 at 23:56
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
ive has two names
1.Bazzman = my nickname is bazz and it was already taken so me being male i added man on the end.

2. Unseen and explicit.. i got it from the road trip dvd box :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.