GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ps2 greatest console!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/10/02 at 17:49
Regular
ps2 is the greatest console ever!! with so many pure leathel games comin out this christmas there's no point in me even startin to name them,ive already bought 3 in 2 days and ive that many more to buy my head is definetly goin to explode.I cant say xbox and gamecube arnt bad they're just PURE CRAP!mario sunshine looks ok though
weeconor
Thu 17/10/02 at 13:00
Regular
Nintendo are just as guilty of sequels. Just look at the Mario series - how many years old? Even MS are developing Halo2. And if were not for these sequels, we wouldn't ever see games like DOOM 3 or Quake 4, let alone GTA3.
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:15
Regular
up_in_$moke wrote:
> LOL what a crap topic. First of all he posts a really pointless
> message that we have all seen before. And two he is wrong.

It has been seen before... when written by other people, but its the first time (as far as I know) that we`ve seen it as his opinion. To him its a new topic, something to discuss, and he is perfectly entitled to start talking. He's actually left now apparently because of you lot crashing his topic and calling him stupid. From his point of view its probably good though because now he`ll be able to go back to his PS2 and have fun, instead of having to put up with the kind of replies he was given.

> PS2 isnt the better console with the better games. It actually hasnt got
> a good line up this year on the run up to christmas, out of the three
> main consoles it has the smallest and sub-standard line up.

Oh yeh, absolutely right. We`re really struggling to find something to buy. In fact we really don`t have anything to spend it on... oh, hang on, except for maybe 20 or so games that are essential to some of us in the PS2 forum. There are at least 7 I like the look of, and that doesn`t include the fantastic Pro Evo Soccer 2 and more. Other people are interested in that and several other titles taking the list of great releases this Christmas even higher. I don`t know of that many releases for Gamecube and X-Box, but that doesn`t mean there aren`t any, and similarly you shouldn`t assume there aren`t many for PS2.

> All ps2 games are just sequals to other sequals, with are other
> sequals to the previous sequal. Just with a few new levels on the same
> engine, just a sprused up resolution or something.

Nice to see you know what you`re talking about, except I think you need to replace "ps2" with gamecube as it moves into Mario 412b part 2 special edition. There are a large number of original titles arriving on PS2 soon and many of them look to be top quality. As for "sequals" as you call them, being simple rehashes with slightly different resolution, how do you explain things such as the improvements in GTA? Rockstar have taken on board virtually every comment handed to them by customers and games magazines. Helicopters, motorbikes, indoor locations... its all there, making it a genuine "sequal" rather than just a slightly better animated Mario running around collecting a few more items with a couple of new bad guys (yes that comment was biased, but you had it coming with your ridiculous comments about the PS2).

> Cmon. Final Fanstasy XI (11). What is with that, its the same old
> thing every year.

Yeh absolutely... except Final Fantasy 11 will be an online game, and absolutely nothing like Final Fantasy 10. Another key point is that when Final Fantasy moves into its next generation, it has an entirely new set of characters, often a new planet, totally different cities to visit, new and varying enemies and a radically changed character enhancement system (compare junctioning to the sphere grid if you know what either of those are).

> Walk about, find an enemy and click on a move you
> want.... thats it. Apparently its got a good story line, but i have
> never gone for that. If i wanted a good story line i would go down to
> blockbusters and rent out a god damn film.

I find that easy to believe. Also, its nothing like that, "click and thats it". Thats worse than saying Goldeneye was simply "push the trigger".

> The PS2 is almost old hat now as performance goes.

Really? And yet it keeps improving, more so than its rivals. Where the X-Box and Gamecube were designed around instant performance and litle improvement, the PS2 has been made to allow developers to work to get more and more out of the machine. In a few years time, the difference between PS2 games now and PS2 games then will be greater than the difference between X-Box games of each generation. Also, even on current performance, the only time that a multiformat game looks significantly better is when it gets released ages afterwards. When games arrive months later its no surprise that they have improved visuals and maybe a couple of new modes. I`d be pretty disappointed though if all the console ever got was hand-downs, even if the holes were patched up.

While a lot of you would love to say that people who buy Sony consoles are all just sheep with no taste its completely wrong. Blind devotion doesn't mean other people are wrong. 40 million+ people own Playstation 2 consoles, and that many people disagree with what you are saying. There is nothing wrong with any of the consoles, people can be happy with whichever one they choose, so don`t get upset and start attacking other people's machines.
Wed 16/10/02 at 23:56
Regular
GC and XBox versions of games often come out (still) after the PS2 - that’s odd, I thought XBox was a developers dream machine - easy to code for - O well just MS trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes again - never mind just press Reset when U get the Disc error msg. Even though I don’t much go for GC's Kiddy game line up, at least they offer some thing different. If a bought (or had a Xbox bought for me) over Christmas - I would be well peeved if I had disc error probs. And these issues are still on going - other sites are still full of saps buying into the big M cloud cookoo land and suffering from the same old probs.

When I have previously said that Ninty were wrong about not using DVD as standard - Ninty fans said it was the games that were the deciding factor. Fair enough then, if its the games, then PS2 still wins out - big choice of games. If the games are sub standard - why don’t all ps2 owners trade in against XBox or GC? As you will know from recent figures, ps2 base is still growing with no sign of loads of trade ins. So I conclude, most ps2 owners are happy with their machine.
Wed 16/10/02 at 23:41
Regular
LOL what a crap topic. First of all he posts a really pointless message that we have all seen before. And two he is wrong. PS2 isnt the better console with the better games. It actually hasnt got a good line up this year on the run up to christmas, out of the three main consoles it has the smallest and sub-standard line up.

All ps2 games are just sequals to other sequals, with are other sequals to the previous sequal. Just with a few new levels on the same engine, just a sprused up resolution or something.

Cmon. Final Fanstasy XI (11). What is with that, its the same old thing every year. Walk about, find an enemy and click on a move you want.... thats it. Apparently its got a good story line, but i have never gone for that. If i wanted a good story line i would go down to blockbusters and rent out a god damn film.

The PS2 is almost old hat now as performance goes. Its trailing behind Gamecube, which is leagues behind xbox. Though it is games that make the console good. Though xbox does have the better games. Especially when it comes down to multi-format games. The xbox version is always given the best reviews and are said to be the better version.
Wed 16/10/02 at 23:39
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> Dave RJR wrote:
> As for PC games, well U might as
> well release the games on 8-track - that's how popular it is.
>
> All offence intended, do you have the slightest bloody idea what your
> talking about?
>
> Didn't think so.

Well, I saw the numbers for this a while back earlier this year. The number of games sold on PC is much, MUCH less than for consoles.
Wed 16/10/02 at 23:37
Regular
Semajal wrote:
> Dave RJR wrote:
> PS2 rules. Burnout 2, GTA3, GT3, MGS2, loads more to choose from.
> Everyone says that we must grade the console on just the games, so
> be
> it. XBox and GC have a couple of games which are quite good. But PS2
> wins since it has the most.
>
> you named 4 games there. Can you name any other Pure quality games on
> Ps2? cos i know there is ALOT of crap games wise. On both the PS and
> PS2. Quality not quantity

Well, what makes a good games depends on what you like most of the time. I wouldnt give Skies of Arcadia shelf space, but many would. Anyway this is some of the ones I think are good.

Burnout 2
GTA3
GTA3-Vice City
GT3
MGS2
NBA Street
Tekken 4
Smash Court Tennis
Time Crisis 2
Moto GP 2
Knockout Kings 02
Stuntman
Quake3
Need 4 Speed 2
The Getaway
TimeSplitters 2
The Sims

I could go on, but there's not much point is there.
Wed 16/10/02 at 23:32
Regular
Dave RJR wrote:
> As for PC games, well U might as
> well release the games on 8-track - that's how popular it is.

All offence intended, do you have the slightest bloody idea what your talking about?

Didn't think so.
Wed 16/10/02 at 23:19
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Dave RJR wrote:
> PS2 rules. Burnout 2, GTA3, GT3, MGS2, loads more to choose from.
> Everyone says that we must grade the console on just the games, so be
> it. XBox and GC have a couple of games which are quite good. But PS2
> wins since it has the most.

you named 4 games there. Can you name any other Pure quality games on Ps2? cos i know there is ALOT of crap games wise. On both the PS and PS2. Quality not quantity
Wed 16/10/02 at 23:06
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Dave RJR wrote:
> >all those PS2 owners can't be wrong.
>
> Yes they can. Look how many communists there were.

Yea, really accurate comparison....NOT
Any way, that was a system forced (for real sometimes) up on the people. Much like MS wants to own all the games and then rebrand them just for one machine - theirs!

(shakes head in amazement)
Wed 16/10/02 at 19:20
ogaboogabooga!! nnnnooooooooooooo!(not best console!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.