GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo – Exploiting kids?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/10/02 at 18:26
Regular
After some thinking, I’ve finally figured out just how Nintendo are making their money. Dodgy Gameboy/Gameboy Advance games based (fairly loosely) on children’s TV shows and films sell. And Nintendo knows it. Look at the figures – Nintendo are selling Gameboy Advance consoles by the bucketload, sales are only second to Sony’s PS2.

And sales are being pushed by these frankly awful games which children as little as 8 will gleefully buy. Whilst I am aware that there are some excellent games out on the GB and GBA, the majority of Gameboy games are junk. For every 10 games on the Gameboy Colour, only 2-3 are actually worth buying. Of course, things are better with the GBA, but I can see it going down the same hole.

Where do the profits from these products go?
Towards producing the Gamecube. The GC is Nintendo’s gem, where as the Gameboy line seems a quick way to get cash.

With the GC, Nintendo both avoid too much attention being drawn towards the Gameboy line’s lacklustre range of games and create a new, cheap wonderful world of gaming. Everything Nintendo stands for of course – big, cute lovable characters and a company that is warm and loving. None of the shady truth there is there?

The whole Pokemon saga demonstrated how powerful Nintendo really is, and should serve as a grave reminder, and software developers have caught on to how the Gameboy line is a quick cash spinner, they are producing more games, and the market is getting saturated with junk.

I can see many people on SR backing Nintendo, and I’ll for one be interested on how the debate ends:

Is it the games developers who are to blame?

Is it Nintendo?

Or is it just the public, for not being careful enough when selecting games?

Maybe it’s just me, but there is definitely something going on here, and it needs to be stopped.
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Hmmm....."
After some thinking, I’ve finally figured out just how Nintendo are making their money. Dodgy Gameboy/Gameboy Advance games based (fairly loosely) on children’s TV shows and films sell. And Nintendo knows it. Look at the figures – Nintendo are selling Gameboy Advance consoles by the bucketload, sales are only second to Sony’s PS2.

And sales are being pushed by these frankly awful games which children as little as 8 will gleefully buy. Whilst I am aware that there are some excellent games out on the GB and GBA, the majority of Gameboy games are junk. For every 10 games on the Gameboy Colour, only 2-3 are actually worth buying. Of course, things are better with the GBA, but I can see it going down the same hole.

Where do the profits from these products go?
Towards producing the Gamecube. The GC is Nintendo’s gem, where as the Gameboy line seems a quick way to get cash.

With the GC, Nintendo both avoid too much attention being drawn towards the Gameboy line’s lacklustre range of games and create a new, cheap wonderful world of gaming. Everything Nintendo stands for of course – big, cute lovable characters and a company that is warm and loving. None of the shady truth there is there?

The whole Pokemon saga demonstrated how powerful Nintendo really is, and should serve as a grave reminder, and software developers have caught on to how the Gameboy line is a quick cash spinner, they are producing more games, and the market is getting saturated with junk.

I can see many people on SR backing Nintendo, and I’ll for one be interested on how the debate ends:

Is it the games developers who are to blame?

Is it Nintendo?

Or is it just the public, for not being careful enough when selecting games?

Maybe it’s just me, but there is definitely something going on here, and it needs to be stopped.
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:27
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Nintendo don't make the Film Licenced game, they just allow them on their console. They got where they are today by offering great handheld value.
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:30
Regular
"Festivus!"
KORG, you thought that Ninty made all their GBA games themself? I wish - they'd all be fantastic. Imagine - a Mario style Lilo and stitch game or a Zelda Mary Kate and Ashley - fantastic... well I can dream about it can't I?
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:36
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Tribute wrote:
> KORG, you thought that Ninty made all their GBA games themself? I wish
> - they'd all be fantastic. Imagine - a Mario style Lilo and stitch
> game or a Zelda Mary Kate and Ashley - fantastic... well I can dream
> about it can't I?

I am aware of this, but some sort of Quality Control needs to be put in place, especially when the problem is this big, Nintendo should at least question some of these games before providing the developers with the tools to produce the games, and the distribution of the games themselves.

I'm not entirely pointing the finger at Nintendo, but instead saying that there needs to besomething done by both developers and Nintendo to prevent this kind of stuff from happening.
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:37
Regular
Well obviously it's the developers fault.

Nintendo aren't the ones making the crap games, and Pokemon games are good and deserved their success.
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:38
Regular
"Ghetto Fabulous"
If you abuse Nintendo you are abusing me . But I agree I have been conned into buying some GBA games
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:43
Regular
"Festivus!"
Thibnk about it - why would Nintendo stop people releasing games? It is what makes them money and would surely cut back on their profits as Games are their main income.

Also, the developers would be annoyed after spending time and money developing it, wouldn't they?
Tue 15/10/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Ghetto Fabulous"
Yes I agree
Tue 15/10/02 at 19:18
Regular
«-Wºªmd¢r«- wrote:
> If you abuse Nintendo you are abusing me . But I agree I have been
> conned into buying some GBA game.

In reply to that, if you're insulting Korg, you're insulting me! But I agree, you wasn't insulting Korg. :c)
Tue 15/10/02 at 21:07
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
almost every company out there thats ells to kids tries to make sure that they can make alot of money. yes alot of GB and GBA games would be hard for US as in us experianced older gamers. But if your 8 then what would be 5 mins of fun followed by 2 hours of boredom to us would be weeks of happiness to a lil kid.

What bugs me are some of the companies that produce a series of something and do there best to make kids want all the things in the series. Even though they will be almost all the same.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.